Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2017, 18:44   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Where to buy Tinned copper solar wire

Wasn't it claimed that the PV wire insulation had better UV protection, what with it being installed out in the sun?
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 23:12   #77
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Regardless of what they call it, it is wire. Maybe the composition of the tinning may be different or the amount? I doubt the copper alloy is. I doubt it is silver.

You can stick any Kind of label on a produce and sell it for more.
But it doesn't cost more than comparable gauge tinned marine wire.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 21:25   #78

Boat: Royal Cape Catamaran 53 ft 20 tons

Greetings, Apologies for hijacking your thread. I am about to go down the same road as you. I came across the Solara panels and was very impressed . However, I was disencouraged to use them by a local installer here in South Africa who cited lesser efficiency and that shade cast caused the entire panel to shut down. I was suprised and sceptical regarding his comments . Is that true? Are there more efficient panels available and how do these compare? I really like the fact that youy can walk on them as they will be on top of my cat bimini. Also, are you installing a Victron battery monitor as well? If not, any particular reason? Any other hardware you suggest? Thank you.

https://www.victronenergy.com/battery-monitors/bmv-700i
YPSILANTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 14:11   #79

Boat: Tayana 42 Vancouver Aft CP

Thanks that is great wire, but cable from panel ot controller is a different animal. mainly the insulation i believe. Perhaps i will go with out the tinned SV wire cable.
billzona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 14:17   #80

Boat: Tayana 42 Vancouver Aft CP

YPSILANTI you are correct to some degree, you must have sun on them. in my case i went with SOlara mono crystallite rigid. three at 140 watts with three victron 75/15 MPPT controllers. this will allow best efficiency in an imperfect world. later i will add an Eclectic D400 Wind Gen. that will help. the flex walk on panels are EXPENSIVE.
billzona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 23:32   #81

"Solar wire"is black and probably has way better uv resistance as it's made to be exposed on House roof. I have used both solar wire and marine wire. Personally not a big fan of solar wire as both leads are black. But the mc4 connectors fit better. They don't fit / seal probably on marine 10awg. The solar jacket is thicker. I generally loom the wire anyways so uv on the wire doesn't really happen anyways
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 23:59   #82
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
"Solar wire"is black and probably has way better uv resistance as it's made to be exposed on House roof. I have used both solar wire and marine wire. Personally not a big fan of solar wire as both leads are black. But the mc4 connectors fit better. They don't fit / seal probably on marine 10awg. The solar jacket is thicker. I generally loom the wire anyways so uv on the wire doesn't really happen anyways
Red and black now in Canada as the code has changed for terrestrial installations.
Old 25-01-2017, 05:15   #83

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Solar wire is black so the sunlight doesn't escape before it reaches your controller.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 07:01   #84

Boat: Sceptre 36

I got mine from Gregsmarine.
Kakalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 08:25   #85

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post
Solar wire is black so the sunlight doesn't escape before it reaches your controller.
Old 25-01-2017, 08:29   #86

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Regardless of what they call it, it is wire. Maybe the composition of the tinning may be different or the amount? I doubt the copper alloy is. I doubt it is silver.

You can stick any Kind of label on a produce and sell it for more.

Once the electricity has been produced, the wire doesn't know how the electricity was produced and it doesn't care. It no different than if it was produced by a battery or alternator.

Marine wire is just wire designed to meet the special conditions found on boats. The anti corrosion properties of tinning and the flexibility of the fine stranding.
Old 25-01-2017, 14:32   #87

Boat: Skookum Monk ketch 47

I ended up buying 100' of solar wire. Didn't need much, have a boat load left over. But, it was not tinned. Located in Oriental NC.
dsiddens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 15:02   #88

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsiddens View Post
I ended up buying 100' of solar wire. Didn't need much, have a boat load left over. But, it was not tinned. Located in Oriental NC.
The term solar wire is perplexing. More strands per gage, tinning with more silver in the mix? It may just be a marketing ploy? Then it could be made for minimum resistance considering the low current produced by solar.

Anyone have an answer and not a bunch of speculative BS or unsubstantiated BS with formulas from HS chemistry.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 15:33   #89

UL rated photovoltaic wire is sun and water resistant, approved for open rooftops or underground use. It is 7 or 19 strand, and is tinned. Much thicker insulation than marine wire, it can be left in the sun uncovered.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 15:36   #90
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
UL rated photovoltaic wire is sun and water resistant, approved for open rooftops or underground use. It is 7 or 19 strand, and is tinned. Much thicker insulation than marine wire, it can be left in the sun uncovered.
Agree solar wire is sun and water resistant and tinned. The wire I sell is a lot more than 19 strands though - comparable to same gauge tinned boat cable from Ancor or comparable manufacturer. It is 10 gauge.

Major difference between boat cable and solar wire is the UV resistance - boat cable is not outdoor rated.

Tags
solar