Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2016, 13:13   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45
Re: Where to buy marine wire?

Its brilliant read of such positive reports...... so much negative feedbacks these days which is indicative of the way suppliers can treat customers.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:28   #17

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

Sherco Auto Supply online. All types of marine grade connectors and wire as well.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:50   #18

Boat: 1984 Cal 35 Mk II - - Hull #85

The absolute best to buy Marine Wire from is

https://gregsmarinewiresupply.com/wi...te=common/home

I have bought from them several times over the last couple years - and several types of wire & other items. They deliver fast and shipping is reasonable, their prices are the absolute best I have seen. You can call them and talk to the owner - they service is exceptional...

www.facebook.com/CaptainRickoAndTheSvSecondWind

https://www.facebook.com/CaptainRickoAndTheSvTikiNotion
Capt'n Ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 18:07   #19

Boat: Samson 36 Seashell

I have 100 feet each of 8 gauge and 10 gauge marine wire. Make me an offer
Larry Chamblee
213 280 5902
Larry Chamblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 18:16   #20

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPohle View Post
I've seen a couple of recommendations for places to buy marine grade wire, but can't find the post now. Do you know how many places the word wire shows up in a search???

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Try searching for marine shipboard cable.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:39   #21

Boat: Hanse 348

Just curious, figured would add on to this rather than starting a new thread, but I am assuming there is a difference in marine wire vs. say the stranded 10/12/14 gauge wire you can get from Home Depot as no one is mentioning just going there to pick some up?
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:42   #22
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Just curious, figured would add on to this rather than starting a new thread, but I am assuming there is a difference in marine wire vs. say the stranded 10/12/14 gauge wire you can get from Home Depot as no one is mentioning just going there to pick some up?
Yes, there is a difference. Marine wire is tinned, stranded copper with good insulation. DO NOT use Home Depot wire.

If you need some right away and cannot wait a day or two, buy some at West Marine or other marine dealer.

Otherwise, the best source and much cheaper, IMHO, is Genuine Dealz.

Marine Wiring, Boat Cable and Electrical Genuinedealz.com

Good prices, fast service, great products.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:29   #23

Boat: islandpacket

+20 for Genuine Dealz. Really fast shipping.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:24   #24
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Not that I don't like tinned wire, but I'm in the process of installing AC and can't help but notice that...
  1. The wire from the water pump is not tinned.
  2. The wiring around and in the unit is not tinned.
  3. Most of my engine wiring is not tinned.
  4. My panel wire is not tinned.
  5. The USCG approves non-tinned wire.
And does it matter for most of this? Even my bilges are dusty dry and even carbon steel doesn't rust in the cabin. IF there was that much moisture, wouldn't the upholstery be a mold factory?

Just sayin', it feels a little silly being obsessive about tin and sealed crimps inside a box with exposed electronics. Really silly.

Up the mast and in wet bilges, a whole different story. I've dealt with blackened wire plenty of times.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:46   #25

Boat: Hanse 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Not that I don't like tinned wire, but I'm in the process of installing AC and can't help but notice that...
This. It is why I asked about regular wire from HD. I too have noticed that lots of wire is not 'marine'. I know it is 'the right thing to do', but so is only crossing the street in the crosswalk, even if there is no traffic for miles.

As thinwater said, it does make a big difference in some places, but to wire a new usb outlet from my bus bar to the next cabin, does this really make a difference?
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:53   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
This. It is why I asked about regular wire from HD. I too have noticed that lots of wire is not 'marine'. I know it is 'the right thing to do', but so is only crossing the street in the crosswalk, even if there is no traffic for miles.

As thinwater said, it does make a big difference in some places, but to wire a new usb outlet from my bus bar to the next cabin, does this really make a difference?
I have a lot of original, untinned wire on my 30 year old Pearson that is in perfect condition so I'm not too obsessive over tinned wire for dry, protected locations. However there is one significant difference between HD wire and marine wire, even untinned. That is HD stranded wire has much larger strands, is less flexible and more susceptible to breaking strands over time than marine wire.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:52   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thinwater, for years I obsessed with only using tinned wire. Then, when cruising you find you can only buy 'Home Depot' type wire. You reluctantly
buy it intending to replace it ASAP......and years later you notice it is absolutely fine (as long as its not submerged). Nowadays I am perfectly content to use multistrand standard wire everywhere except in the sumps. Your reminder about the mast is also a good point but I installed two car led flood lights as spreader deck lights many years ago and used standard wiring and they work just fine. My solar panels were installed using standard wire as was a lot of other kit - I do seal the cable/wire ends. I see very few long term cruisers consumed with the urge to spend heaps of cash buying tinned. Each to their own........

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
And does it matter for most of this? Even my bilges are dusty dry and even carbon steel doesn't rust in the cabin. IF there was that much moisture, wouldn't the upholstery be a mold factory?

Just sayin', it feels a little silly being obsessive about tin and sealed crimps inside a box with exposed electronics. Really silly.

Up the mast and in wet bilges, a whole different story. I've dealt with blackened wire plenty of times.
Old 02-04-2016, 16:19   #28

Boat: Albin 25

replaced all the battery room wiring in my Albin 25 last season while adding a house charger and ACR. I used tinned wiring throughout (mainly from GenuineDealz) and my goodness the new sealed connections look so much nicer than the old rusty stuff that was removed. Feels good!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BatteryWires.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	301.3 KB
ID:	121925   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-23 17.30.43.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	414.9 KB
ID:	121926  

Sunsetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 20:18   #29

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41

I've used tinned wire a number of times from west marine and have suprisingly had some corrosion issues with it, even more surprisingly the non tinnned wire in the same area was fine. Still not sure what happened there but I've mostly switched to using fine strand regular non tinned wire, a couple gauges above the ABYC recommendation.

Even going with extra shrink wrap and the best waterproof connectors I can get my hands on it still comes out to way less money than the tinned wire two gauges smaller. For my most recent project, I sourced 4 100ft rolls of 10 gauge fine strand with each roll a custom color for about 30$ with free shipping.

Sent from my C6730 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1459653292087.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	121928  
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:19   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan H View Post
I've used tinned wire a number of times from west marine and have suprisingly had some corrosion issues with it, even more surprisingly the non tinnned wire in the same area was fine. Still not sure what happened there but I've mostly switched to using fine strand regular non tinned wire, a couple gauges above the ABYC recommendation.

Even going with extra shrink wrap and the best waterproof connectors I can get my hands on it still comes out to way less money than the tinned wire two gauges smaller. For my most recent project, I sourced 4 100ft rolls of 10 gauge fine strand with each roll a custom color for about 30$ with free shipping.

Sent from my C6730 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ryan, I have tended to shy away from heat shrink when used internally as I could not check the connections as they were totally concealed. Nowaday, I just smear them with waterproof heat resistant grease so that I can view them. My solar panel terminations show no sign of verdigris or deterioration at all. Like you, I buy a roll of fine strand a couple of sizes larger then required after checking the terminals are big enough to take the wire. I also use a megameter to validate the circuit integrity.

Tags
marine