Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2006, 12:50   #1
cruiser

What would you expect from a jerk with a genset?

I have to run my genset for the better part of 2 hours a day to keep up with all this posting. ha ha ha (kidding)

Seriously, I do have to run it 2 hours a day to meet power requirements. However, my genset is loud since it's not a "marine" genset. It's right out on deck and blasts out a drone at the level of any genset you've ever seen operating.

Now, as a fellow boater, what would you expect from me?

1) When should it run? 5AM? 11PM? I have choosen 4PM-6PM, but maybe that bothers some folks having a quiet dinner? I chose this time so that we could use the toaster oven or microwave if we needed to for dinner prep for our guests.

2) Would you understand, as a fellow boater that, I need to run this thing every day for 2 hours, or would you just consider me the jerk of the anchorage?

Thanks for your opinions. I figure if you all are very honest about what you would expect some jerk with a genset to do, then I could possible avoid being a jerk.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2006, 13:50   #2
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
If the sound level is that annoying, couldn't you fashion an external muffler for it?

Rick in Florida
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2006, 14:06   #3
cruiser

Rick: Not sure what you mean. It has a muffler. It sounds something like a lawn mower when you are up close to it.

Inside the boat, it's quieter than the boat's fresh water pump. Outside... wel... it sounds like someone is mowing the lawn.
Old 16-05-2006, 14:22   #4
cruiser

Ahhh... now I understand what the other Rick was talking about. It would take some homework, but maybe that would be the way to go. It is a *diesel* 5KW genset, so I'm going to need to research the effects of changing a muffler (and the resulting change in back pressure) as it would affect an engine modeled after the Yanmar air cooled diesels.

To answer the alternatives question:

Solar and Wind: Can't even come close to affording those yet.

Bigger Battery Bank: Doesn't factor in. Still the same amount of genset run time no matter how big my bank is. The bank is 420AH Trojans.

Larger Inverter: I think you must mean charger here. I have twin 90 amp chargers providing a full 180amps of charging power at any time. I think this is on the upper end already.
Old 16-05-2006, 14:32   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41
I think you're safe as long as you shut down before the sun-downers start giving people lots of empties as ammunition

Most of the time in the afternoons we are busy with our own projects which may be noisy themselves. But once the evening meal is served and people start relaxing & watching the sun set I think a gen-set is much more noticeable.

FWIW
jemsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2006, 15:48   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Long term solution

Surely the correct long term solution is to install the genset in your boat where it can be soundproofed, muffled and hidden.
You should aim for an installation where you have turned it off before someone can work out where it is.
I always feel thet it is wise to remember that a significant portion of the population is insane, in the middle of a divorce, just been fired or is otherwise likely to be highly indisposed towards you if you give then a target.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2006, 16:29   #7
cruiser

Good advice in the last paragraph there. I always feel that way too. Low profile is the best way to be.

Here is a picture of where the genset is right now. It's the blue rectangle you see all the way aft. It's hidden under that Sunbrella when not in use. It comes out just to run its 2 hrs a day. Unfortunately, there is no way at all to install this genset where it is in any way enclosed, as it uses a forced air cooling system to keep the air cooled diesel from overheating. I had run it in the rain the other day with the cover party over it. The wind blew the cover closed on me (stupid me) and the genset overheated and melted a few of its less important components. It shut down automatically. This is with just a light sunbrella cover that slipped down over it. It produces an incredible amount of heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris31415
Surely the correct long term solution is to install the genset in your boat where it can be soundproofed, muffled and hidden.
You should aim for an installation where you have turned it off before someone can work out where it is.
I always feel thet it is wise to remember that a significant portion of the population is insane, in the middle of a divorce, just been fired or is otherwise likely to be highly indisposed towards you if you give then a target.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Done.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	96  
Old 16-05-2006, 18:30   #8

Location: Winters - Out Cruising / Summers in the NC mountains
Boat: Brewer 42
Sean

Even though we have never met, I feel as though I would like you based on your posts...BUT.....I would find it extremely rude to have a neighbor in a quiet anchorage running a load genset. The reason that I go to such anchorages is to get away from neighbors like you (sorry if I'm too harsh). If I play Rap for two hours each day at the same level as your genset, would you or your charter clients be annoyed?

Sorry, but YOU are disturbing others, so it is YOUR responsibility to take the necessary steps to correct the noise polution. We have a 420 AH house bank and two 120watt solar panels come close to meeting our needs. We have to run the engine for one hour every third day. Have you considered a Honda 2000? Not nearly as load as a diesel genset.

Roger
rleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2006, 18:51   #9

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Sean, for a couple sheets of plywood, some insulation, a couple of fans and some time, you can build an insulated cover. It will make you a good neighbor.
Jim

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2006, 19:01   #10
Kai Nui

Definitely look into aftermarket mufflers for the genset. If nothing is available, you might be able to get something made faily cheap. CHeck the RV sources. As for when to run it, I would choose mid day. Lunch time. Usually least boats in the anchorage, most boats coming and going, and crew exploring ashore. If you can build a sound proof enclosure, that would be the way to go along with the modified exhaust. Unfortunately, if I remember correctly, the set you have is a contractor style genset, and as such is loud and dirty. Only so much you can do about it.
FWIW, 11PM could find you with very irate neighbors. PM me with the make and model and I can check my resources for exhaust as well.
Old 16-05-2006, 19:03   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Gee, that big and still no bullet holes...<G>
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2006, 19:47   #12

Boat: Currently Boatless
Sean,
Why not try one of the Honda quiet sets. If you are only charging batteries then a 2KW generator would work fine. I am looking at buying one of the Honda imitations (kipper). They are quiet and probably smaller than what you have right now - check them out, there are a number on ebay.

Kevin
KevinE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2006, 20:26   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
I'd be pissed!!!

If I was already at anchor and some Yahoo came in and ran his LOUD gen set two hours a day, I'd be pissed, really pissed. It's the same thing with people who have barking dogs. No consideration for others. If you truly have to run the gen set that long and that often, find ways to silence it.

Appreciate your asking what others would feel. I've found that people who have nuisances don't consider it their problem to correct. It's the me generation, if ME needs it, then everyone else can go F*** off. I guess a sign of the times.

If it's an aircooled gen set, you'll need to build a surround. Air cooled diesels are damned loud even when muffled. Without the water jacket cooling, they just rattle and bang at about twice the decibels of a water cooled diesel. Look for a way to mount it internally. For your own ear protection, you might want to find a water cooled marine gen set, however. Once it's below it will disturb you more than the neighbors.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2006, 21:08   #14

Sorry Sean.

Like the others I'd be ticked off, if you ran that noisy genset in a quiet anchorage.

Don't be surprised if you find out what happened to your genset, when you hear it sputtering to a dead stop? (Me draining the fuel line to the genset from the diesel tank. After slipping aboard your boat, from my dinghy special forces style. Heh Heh!!)

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2006, 21:22   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I probably don't need to wade in, but seeing as I also have a 5KVA air cooled diesel genny, I understand the noise. Actually mine is has a quite exhuast. It is the engine that is noisy.
Has yours got a fan on the flywheel? Build a box around the entire thing, sound proof it with fibreglass sound batts or even better, as acoustical noise control panel. Keep a hole in the front were the flywheel is it suck in the air. Ensure that there is a vent at the rare that can blow air past the cylinder/head assembly. that's all that needs the cooling. Then vent the other end of the box to let the air out.
Mine was built just like that, but it was a steel box. I have takent he box off and placed the entire thing down in the engine room. I should say, "shoe horned" it down in the engine room. I have a dry exhaust running out through the hull with a twin muffler. It is very quite.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote