Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-04-2016, 09:55   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: What part to lead wire from outside the transom to inside

Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Unclemack, jstevens, (and others) thanks for that info, good explanation on the diff. Not sure of the length on the screw thread on the gland, but should be enough to cover the thickness of the fiberglass on the back of the deck where the davits are. I can't find dimensions on it, but I would think it has 1/2" of thread, and glass is maybe 1/4"?

But now agree, that clam needs a smaller hole, just the size of the wire (1/4"), whereas the gland needs a 1/2" hole to put the threaded part through, and normally, the smaller the hole you make in a boat the better, though not sure when we are talking about 2.5 vs. 0.5 it makes that much diff...However, I have not done this yet, and that is why I posted, hoping those with more experience can share with me.
I've tried them all over time. I think I like the Clam the best actually.

"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 17:40   #32

Boat: lagoon 380 s2

I purchased the cable clam. Just curious about attaching the base part to the outside of the hull. I am assuming you need to use a bolt and nut on the inside, or can this hold well enough with some epoxy and self taping screw. I can't easily get my fingers on the inside to hold a nut. (I can lead a wire through and pull that easily enough though)

jbinbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 18:17   #33

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

If you are referring to attaching the base to the outside of the deck, that should be done with self-tapping screws (I think they are provided with the kit). Through bolts and epoxy are not needed. The upper half of the cable clam attaches to the base with machine screws into threaded inserts this provides the necessary compression on seal for the wire. The gasket provided should give a sufficient seal under the base.

jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: