Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2016, 12:13   #196

Re: What is your Real Amp Hour per Day Usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Right, it will warm the Earth instead or the Sea.
You are so right.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 12:44   #197

In our engineering we deal with Mah. On the device we are currently working on the power management system we made goes into sleep mode after a set clock time which is in a separate processor. We use a capacitive sensor as an on switch which wakes up the internal power to full "awake" mode. In the sleep mode there is definitely a loss of power which is a draw on our miniature 3.6v litho battery. However the draw power is minuscule and allows the device to sit in sleep mode for a few years.

So I am sure a similar thing is happening inside your inverter. The easiest way to see how much power is being drawn by the device in sleep mode is to call the manufacturer and speak to an engineer who may have the internal test measurements. But I wouldn't think that will be so easy. My engineers are under strict instructions to help no one.

You could set up some output tests or your could pull apart your inverter and poke around with a very sensitive amp meter on the internal circuit board. But you will need to understand the board layout and recognize the various components.

Electrons floating around can escape. Just reality. If you want to drive yourself really crazy why not make an electron measuring device.

I do sympathise with mono sailors in that every amp really matters. After all they don't have that big back yard like multis have to hang solar on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I guess I wasn't clear, what I am asking is how does something draw more than 5 W from the inverter to turn it on, when the inverter is off, isn't supplying power to begin with?
So it must have a way of supplying a low power, at a low consumption, then if draws exceeds 5 W, it must kick in the main inverter that can supply 3 KW I think.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 12:53   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
it just means that they are kept running and burning fossil fuels without putting any power into the grid so that they can be spun up rapidly when the wind stops blowing (like right now!). Somehow, that wasted fuel is never taken into account when discussing the effectiveness of wind energy.
Fact or assumed.
I guess assumed out of ignorance.
Why would someone write something like this, something that question the competence of the operators of that utility, just to try to impress?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post

mothers

Please let her know.
Which one?
Old 14-09-2016, 16:10   #199

Boat: Southcoast 36

So I get this note from my bank that said they are now going to charge me a new fee of $5 but when I see my statement they have actually charged me $5 per day! When I asked them they said they just don't get too hung up on using correct units and assumed I knew what they meant. I suppose they are right.

Just sayin....

Winf
Winf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 18:16   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winf View Post
So I get this note from my bank that said they are now going to charge me a new fee of $5 but when I see my statement they have actually charged me $5 per day! When I asked them they said they just don't get too hung up on using correct units and assumed I knew what they meant. I suppose they are right.

Just sayin....

Winf
you are lucky, bonus, the unit is per hour.
Old 30-10-2016, 06:32   #201

Boat: Jeanneau 36 and C&C 29 MkII

I was really enjoying this thread until about the third page. What a pointless discussion and total waste of bandwidth.

Is there any chance a moderator can get this back on track please?
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 19:30   #202

Boat: 1981 Morgan OI 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete O Static View Post
I was really enjoying this thread until about the third page. What a pointless discussion and total waste of bandwidth.

I'm right there with you I really hoped this was going to be an informative thread but it turned into a bitch festcat fight.
Salty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 19:34   #203
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

...and people complain about Politicians and Political Campaigns...but if Cruisers can't play nice on such an easy subject as How many Amp hours per use per day...ha ha ha...forget it, I'm heading Back to Mexico where it is safe.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:25   #204

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Mike View Post
I'm right there with you I really hoped this was going to be an informative thread but it turned into a bitch festcat fight.
Nothing is stopping you for contributing positively to this thread.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:10   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
Nothing is stopping you for contributing positively to this thread.
I was reading this thread to find out what people's power consumption was because I wish to do an installation. I have an idea of what I need, but was interested in what people were experiencing in real life conditions. I was hoping, that perhaps we could put an end to the antagonism and get this thread back on subject. Never mind, I see now that will be an uphill battle. Good subject but nothing worthy to read here. Moving on.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:17   #206

You can produce your own project use... for each draw on the boat... lights, instruments, pumps and so on... and then size your charging accordingly and the batteries of course.

Do it yourself. If you are up to owning a running a boat... you need to have the intelligence and independence to be self sufficient... and don't expect others to tell YOU want to do with YOUR boat.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:40   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
You can produce your own project use... for each draw on the boat... lights, instruments, pumps and so on... and then size your charging accordingly and the batteries of course.

Do it yourself. If you are up to owning a running a boat... you need to have the intelligence and independence to be self sufficient... and don't expect others to tell YOU want to do with YOUR boat.
Yes you are right. However, as I posted, I have got an idea of what I need energy wise because I have figured it out. However, I also like to compare with peoples real world experiences because solar depends on so many variables, such as panel placement, wiring, geographic location, installation etc.

So, after 40 plus years of sailing, I don't expect "others to tell me what to do with my boat" but I am interested in the results others have experienced with theirs.

It is beyond me why this thread seems to attract such condescending responses.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:44   #208
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

You think this is bad well here are some letters that will cause fist fighting internet style .

(MMGW)
Old 04-11-2016, 09:33   #209

Quote:
Yes you are right. However, as I posted, I have got an idea of what I need energy wise because I have figured it out. However, I also like to compare with peoples real world experiences because solar depends on so many variables, such as panel placement, wiring, geographic location, installation etc.

So, after 40 plus years of sailing, I don't expect "others to tell me what to do with my boat" but I am interested in the results others have experienced with theirs.

It is beyond me why this thread seems to attract such condescending responses.

You can't have too much battery capacity... simple as that. You limit it because of weight, space and expense. You will have to replace what you use with alternator, solar, wind etc. It's that simple. But big replace used amps less frequently.

I have 2 - 8D AGMs for house bank and a 55ah AGM start battery
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:52   #210

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Not real life experience yet but calculated questimate 350Ah cruising, 230Ah anchored and 150Ah berthed (freezer and cabin lights).
Galley 100% electric..

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote