Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2016, 15:28   #76

Re: What is your Real Amp Hour per Day Usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
'Current meters' measure water flow, 'Ammeters ' show current flow.

Just thought I'd sort for you before StuM turned up....
Current = flow, an Amp meter indicate electrical current obviously your Ammeters indicate flow flow.
When charging my amp meter indicate 63A for 21 minutes, then for 39 minutes the current decrease to 10A then I switch of the charger. I see no reason to convert this data into Ah, nor to precise that it is an electrical current, nor that a current flow. Basically most mariners knows that when there is no current there is no flow.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 15:39   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
How do you 'earn the right' ? What is it that gives someone the right to be so rude without reasonable justification? A contributor makes a small error and that justifies a personal attack?
I also did not use the words that have now introduced, I said criticism - big difference indeed.
I'm not saying you were being slanderous etc. Nor was Jim. I was just saying that to be critical is ok. It's part of adult discusion and exchanges of ideas.

StuM could have couched his original statement in a softer kinder way. That is almost expected in this day and age of feeling based communication. But to be direct and straight to the point in pointing out an error without niceties is not a terrible crime.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 15:45   #78

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
Incredibly confusing. But not for everyone, maybe you, respecfully.

Let me add some context.... "That there big ol' house bank ran down in four hours. I think my fridge is using (mentally insert "drawing")(context) 50 amps. Is that normal, or do I have a short (again context "short") ?

There's always context. Or one can ask question, to better understand. A conversation.

Or,,..... break out the marking pen, preach, whatever. Run folks off, derail the thread.

I forgot the subject of this thread, at this point. Time to move on I guess.
You are right, its much better to use the wrong units and then spend a bunch of time trying to figure out what we are trying to say. That's way better.

chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 15:46   #79

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

What is your real amp hour per day usage?

I don't really know. I'd guess about 80. Right now I'm choosing the tv over the fridge, and buying ice. Cell phone, laptop, LEDs, fm all day. When travelling, plotter, autopilot, and start the engine once or twice for an hour during an overnighter.

Factory 80 amp alternator, 210 amp hour bank. Running the engine about an hour a day. Recently decided I won't be adding solar. Want other things more.

I choose to spend $200 every two-three years maybe on batteries, and buy ice. Also accept the implications to engine longevity, facing a possible early rebuild that I do myself for short money.

In return I can enjoy my preference for no jungle jim on the stern. Or a bimini, eclosure, dodger, davits, ect. I like a clear deck to sail the boat from alone. And I actually do sail, when I travel.

My experience is useless for this thread as I seem to be the only livaboard that isn't using current best practices methodology.

But I stupidly butted my nose in here, so figured I might as well answer the guestion. Plus a scattered shower came over and delayed plans to dingy ashore.
Old 10-09-2016, 15:47   #80

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I don't know much about electricity, sometimes, I almost don't believe in it. Can't see it or smell it, either.

But I've been around Jim for a while now, and his background is in science, where using the correct units is important. Jim really likes data and specificity. It pains me that it makes people angry. It seems a useful trait to me, but I'm not exactly the casual observer, either.

Ann
Old 10-09-2016, 15:47   #81
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Then we'll leave it at that - agreeing to disagree. I have repeatedly said that I have no issues with Stu's statement. It was brief but not rude.
Being critical is fine but besmirching someones character without warrant is not......and its not the first time. To challenge someone when they are BS'ing is also fine in my book but when a simple error is made over units then that particular statement was a total over reaction that added no value to the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
I'm not saying you were being slanderous etc. Nor was Jim. I was just saying that to be critical is ok. It's part of adult discusion and exchanges of ideas.

StuM could have couched his original statement in a softer kinder way. That is almost expected in this day and age of feeling based communication. But to be direct and straight to the point in pointing out an error without niceties is not a terrible crime.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 15:50   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post

"Guys, my fridge is using 50 amps, is that normal or do I have a short?"
It is possible to pass the question or to try to help.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 15:52   #83

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
I don't know much about electricity, sometimes, I almost don't believe in it. Can't see it or smell it, either.
Ann
Oh you will see it and smell it well enough when the electrons manifest themselves as smoke
Old 10-09-2016, 15:54   #84

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Hey chris, sorry I don't recall saying or suggest using the wrong units is better.

I did mention that I don't really have any trouble understanding what is being said. That is, it seems, the major difference between our individual understanding of the post.

I can't recall, amongst the ranker and flag waving, if you shared your real amp hour usage with the forum.
Old 10-09-2016, 15:56   #85
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thank you, Ann.
My disagreement with Jim is not over the correct use of units. The point was over his commentary at a personal level. It was uncalled for. Had it been a once off I would have ignored it. It might also be appreciated that not everyone is a scientist, nor shares the same level of knowledge on subject matter, but that doesnt mean they should be precluded from the discussion for failing to speak the correct language. Or does it? Nor does it mean they should be criticised for this. Indeed, it could be the opportunity to impart knowledge rather than driving people away with negative comments.
Best regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post

But I've been around Jim for a while now, and his background is in science, where using the correct units is important. Jim really likes data and specificity. It pains me that it makes people angry. It seems a useful trait to me, but I'm not exactly the casual observer, either.

Ann
Old 10-09-2016, 16:31   #86

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I had resolved to withdraw from this discussion, but...

Bulawayo, you have repeatedly accused me of rudeness, tearing down of a poster and now besmirching a character at a personal level. Further, you say that it is a frequent practice.

Please quote to me the lines where I did any of these things. I have not referred to any single post or poster in any way. I have stated my personal reaction to posts using incorrect terminology.

If there has been character besmirching going on in this thread, I think it is clear who is doing it.

Jim
Old 10-09-2016, 16:52   #87

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Stu you can count amps over time not specific rating of amps but just that a piece of equipment is using amps. Look at an hour meter on say a fridge it tells you how long a compressor has been running ( hours of operation ) by measuring when the item is drawing power .
Sorry, but no you can't "count Amps".

Counting is determining the total number of something or group of things. It is done solely by addition or subtraction.
(you don't multiply or divide anything while counting).

If I am pulling 3 Amps the first time that I look at the ammeter and 5 Amps the second time that I look at the ammeter, I can't add them together and get 8 Amps or subtract one from the other and get 2 Amps,
both of those numbers are almost completely useless.
(Note for the other pedants around here, I said "almost")

However, if I make a note of the Amp hours shown the first time I look at an Amp hours counter and subtract that value from the reading when I look at it again later, then I know how many Amp hours I have used in that time.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 16:58   #88
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Finally......so, to quote on just this thread:

"Can't speak for others, but when I read a post by someone who can't be bothered to learn and use correct units I tend to not take it very seriously. This disregard for such simple things suggest to me that a similar disregard for accuracy of observation and reporting may lurk in the info presented."

Cant be bothered to learn? Or someone can't be bothered to help educate?

'Simple things........similar disregard for accuracy of observation and reporting......'

If you cannot recognise the judgemental critical statements that you make then I can only feel sad for you.

This is pretty clear, and as has already been mentioned by another poster, besides myself.

Yes, you have done this before as well, and recently. Your criticism of the poster added nothing of value to the thread.

Further, you attempt another smoke screen as well. Where did I use the word 'frequent'? I believe it is your own and therefore I wont comment, regardless of how appropriate it might be.

Bulawayo, you have repeatedly accused me of rudeness, tearing down of a poster and now besmirching a character at a personal level. Further, you say that it is a frequent practice.

Please quote to me the lines where I did any of these things. I have not referred to any single post or poster in any way. I have stated my personal reaction to posts using incorrect terminology.

If there has been character besmirching going on in this thread, I think it is clear who is doing it.

Jim[/QUOTE]
Old 10-09-2016, 16:59   #89

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
Not really. If you remove 20A from a 100A battery daily (24 hours) then 20 / 24 = 0.83A per each hours is an average it is likely that never ever you may read 0.83A on the current meter. Flexibility of mind do for better relation.

You still don't get it, do you.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 17:05   #90
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Stu, Can you suggest a good source for educating people on this subject. I am very happy to add to my knowledge if only I knew where to look.
I believe I understand already, but am probably not that well versed in expressing myself correctly in this field.
I have some older books on the subject so shall also have a look in them, meanwhile.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
You still don't get it, do you.