Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2016, 13:54   #46

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: What is your Real Amp Hour per Day Usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
Oh come on.....many of us are fully aware of what Stevens 47 meant with the postings. Stu is correct but it is hardly life threatening. Why do you have to try and tear others down with such an unwarranted critical statement - and its not the first time.
Well, I didn't "tear others down" at all. I simply said that when posts use units incorrectly it leads me to not take them very seriously. If this is a character fault, then yep, I'm guilty. Stu has made an effort to encourage folks to use them correctly. I think it is a good thing. You seem to disagree, and that's your privilege.

To refresh your memory:

Quote:
Can't speak for others, but when I read a post by someone who can't be bothered to learn and use correct units I tend to not take it very seriously. This disregard for such simple things suggest to me that a similar disregard for accuracy of observation and reporting may lurk in the info presented.
Jim
Old 10-09-2016, 13:57   #47

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
Not really. If you remove 20AH from a 100AH battery daily (24 hours) then 20AH / 24H = 0.83A is an average it is likely that never ever you may read 0.83A on the current meter. Flexibility of mind do for better relation.
What's a 100A battery? Do you mean 100 Amp hours? And what does "0.83A per each hour" mean? I think you mean "0.83A".

Honestly your own post proves my point, it was very difficult to understand what you were trying to say.

But if I excavate your point from under those errors , you are saying you could disambiguate my report by noting if my current draw was really 20AH / 24H = 0.83A, there would be no way for me to determine that, and therefore invalidates that as a possibility.

That would be possible only if
- i measured my consumption by periodically sampling a current meter
- that current meter only reported whole-number amp measurements

Of course, most folks determine their consumption with a tool that automatically accumulates your current draw over time and reports AH. And they certainly are not limited to whole-number amp measurements. But neither are any current meters that I've ever seen, either.

chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 13:57   #48

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Right on Jim. Communication works better when correct terminology is used. I'm not the most experienced or technically adept sailor here but I learn more from questions and answers that are accurate and clear, that includes correct terminology and units.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 14:03   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Just wait until you get to 90 deg water and 90
There is no need to be a brain surgeon to guess that this is about F deg. Or?
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 14:08   #50

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

In normal conversation one can't really scan quickly through the words and look for one's favorite calling, or pet peeve.

It's simple to understand the intended meaning in these mistakes when reading the full context of the statements. In the usage at anchor statement at 20 amps. The preceding statement may likely have been something like, "My boat sure seems to be sucking some juice while anchored".

That's not very specific, but much different from statements about equipment matching, as another example.

I say, knock yourself out, to the units correctors out there. I'll pretty much ignore it, might help someone. And give others a reason to become energized to post, maybe express themselves, preach a little, whatever.

Done with respect, hopefully.
Old 10-09-2016, 14:08   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

It is your perogrative to be rude - but then you should not be surprised to receive comments. Attempting to hide behind Stu's statement does not change facts. Ive already acknowledged that Stu's statement is correct so that smoke screen wont work either. You actually questioned the posters credibilty - how quickly you forget.
Having a bit of respect for other peoples posts would be beneficial. You cast dispersions over the poster concerned - that is the matter that I found so objectionable; without any rational justification. Its not the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well, I didn't "tear others down" at all. I simply said that when posts use units incorrectly it leads me to not take them very seriously. If this is a character fault, then yep, I'm guilty. Stu has made an effort to encourage folks to use them correctly. I think it is a good thing. You seem to disagree, and that's your privilege.

To refresh your memory:

Jim
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 14:10   #52

Quote:
There is no need to be a brain surgeon to guess that this is about F deg. Or?
No. There isn't any ambiguity there.

But what if someone was like, "My coolant is 90 deg after running all day, is that normal?" how would you answer?

Units are our friend.
Old 10-09-2016, 14:11   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Nicely put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
In normal conversation one can't really scan quickly through the words and look for one's favorite calling, or pet peeve.

It's simple to understand the intended meaning in these mistakes when reading the full context of the statements. In the usage at anchor statement at 20 amps. The preceding statement may likely have been something like, "My boat sure seems to be sucking some juice while anchored".

That's not very specific, but much different from statements about equipment matching, as another example.

I say, knock yourself out, to the units correctors out there. I'll pretty much ignore it, might help someone. And give others a reason to become energized to post, maybe express themselves, preach a little, whatever.

Done with respect, hopefully.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 14:13   #54

Boat: a sailing boat

C'mon girls, we are sounding like a bunch of old farts right now.

'Old farts' nearly got me kicked out from the CF, in my first post.

But it is at times as adequate as it is descriptive.

We should really be given some of that money the govts are printing and giving them to the bankers. We could all fly in to a nice location, sit down, have a round, two rounds of Bud. Etc. And fly, not sail, to avoid my Amps are bigger than yours.

We are not getting ourselves any lives. We are boring and looking for arguments.

What is the correct way to spell this concept then?

Is it Ah / day?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 14:13   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
What's a 100A battery? Do you mean 100 Amp hours?
Good guess. One day you may learn not to pick on people for such a small thing. Be nice.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 14:15   #56

Quote:
Good guess. One day you may learn not to pick on people for such a small thing. Be nice.
Nice cherry picking. The rest of your post was remarkably difficult to decode due to your pathological insistence on using the wrong units.
Old 10-09-2016, 14:20   #57

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Barnakiel, see how much we learn? Ah / day does seems to be the correct terminology.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 14:20   #58

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

and I'm out.. Sad a potentially excellent thread got ruined by pettiness!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 14:21   #59

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Ya, terminology is an important thing. when used properly, there is less room for mis-understanding. But the use of compassion in communication is "just" as important.

There are a lot of people On Boats That don't have a clue. some don't care to learn or seam to not care and others want to learn. But in truth I've never ran across anyone who truly doesn't want to learn. Hell it's human nature. I was in a bay where there were many boats at anchor. most of them had no clue what it meant to be a mariner....dragging anchor, sinking, fires, collisions... many of them were yelling advice at others and then calling them worthless when they didn't take the advice. as I said they don't have a clue. they want this life but don't know what all it entails. they don't even know what they need to know. a lot of them don't even know why port and starboard aren't the same as right and left or that fore and aft aren't the same as front and back. I went over to help a couple women that were living on a boat that had drug by me...they missed me by about 5 feet off my beam...It turns out they had all the ground tackle they needed, but didn't know how to use it. They didn't know that I was the guy they had just missed in the thunderstorm the last week. I showed them how to splice an eye in the rode and how to use locking wire to seize the pin in the shackle. I explained what scope is and why you need so much at certain depths and that they need to calculate the hight of the bow off the water when figuring how much scope to put out. They wanted to pay me for this knowledge. That's when they found out that I was the one they had just missed. I told them, that by using that knowledge I would be safer. I also told them to pass that knowledge on lot others, But to do it in a friendly way, even if they didn't like the person they were passing it along too. That it was about making the world a better place for the next generation. Only three boats drug in this last tropical storm that passed by about 50 miles, compared to 12 that drug in the one earlier this year. It was about 150 miles off that coast. Thats the one I lost my dink in from another boat dragging into me.

I've noticed that when I tell someone the correct terminology with a little understanding and compassion, they seem to take it in completely and retain that knowledge. But when i take that Understanding and compassion out many other emotions come up to varying degrees....hurt, anger, fear, uselessness, ignorance, hence they quit hearing any thing that is said.

when I run across people bursting out with corrections, without any since of understanding, and some times with heavy doses of callousness. I tend to tune them out, on reflex. But then, what am i, doing then? It's the same thing. I'm being both the people described above.

So guys I understand that you get a little fed up with those who "don't know" and it would be nice if they learned. Maybe "WE" can all learn....how to communicate. An attitude speaks way louder than the words used.

So lets all take a deep breath and try again. After all what is this forum about, but to help others LEARN. John Lennon said all we need is love. Jesus said love your neighbor as you love yourself.

PEACE LUV & HAPPINESS
Lance
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 14:22   #60

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
What's a 100A battery? (...)
It is:

a) A Lloyd's classified marine battery,
b) A Datsun Cherry car battery,
c) ... ;-)