Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2013, 22:20   #1

What do you think about building my own custom ice box with a Sundanzer 50 freezer?

I was thinking of getting two of these super efficient little Sundanzer 50 chest style solar refrigerators side by side but then I got this idea for a refrigerator and freezer...

Build my own custom fitted super insulated chest style cooler and cool it with ice I buy or make with the 1.8 liter Sundanzer 50 freezer? The freezer would make the ice for the cooler but could also be used for fish I catch and other stuff like making beer cold faster (and even ice cream).

What do you think?

I figured I'd ask you guys since no one knows better how to do more with less than small boat cruisers.

Thanks
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 09:00   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: What do you think about building my own custom ice box with a Sundanzer 50 freeze

12v Solar Refrigerators and Freezers for Off the Grid Living

There's another option...BUT in the end, you could be better off building your one insulated Box with PolyIsoCyanurate from Home depot or Lowles (4" minimum 6" premo) and then just installing one of the Ice Box conversion units on the market.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_42864-236-26...ductId=3057515

Where you gonna put that big premade box on a small boat?
You can build a box for CHEAP and make it custom to your boat.

The most efficient type of refrigerator or freezer is a top open chest style because the cold air does not spill out onto your feet being replaced with warm moist air every time you open the front door of the Box.

We are helping some folks not build an off the grid house and they are building top open boxes right into their kitchen counter top.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 14:56   #3

Yep and compressor fridges are way less power hungry than peltier cooled electric coolers.
d design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 22:27   #4

Re: What do you think about building my own custom ice box with a Sundanzer 50 freeze

Thanks for replying. I have a couple questions please...

1) Do you recommend that Polyisocyanurate foam insulation because it has a higher R Value than foam of equal thickness?

2) Any idea how the EcoFridges compare with the Sundanzers and EcoSolarCool when it comes to energy efficiency and quality/durability?
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 14:22   #5
Zil

You will have to do the google as i lost the link. Danflos makes a compressor kit to build your own fridge/freezer.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 14:44   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hunter 36-80-82 Wanderer

I live on a 1980 ,36 hunter and do lots of cruising. 7 years ago I installed a Norcold 201 three plate freezer unit in a 7 1/2 cubic ft. icebox and converted it to a freezer/refigerator unit.80% freezer ,20% fridge.Spent 7 months in Bahamas and Cuba and never had a problem.Kept icecream for about 4 months until it was gone.Have never shut it off,defrost it with my sprayer from the galley sink using hot water.Insulated it with 2 in. high density foam.
With what already was there, it has worked out very well and I am impressed by it.No more to say,mine works good and I won`t change it.
wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 14:53   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
Thanks for replying. I have a couple questions please...

1) Do you recommend that Polyisocyanurate foam insulation because it has a higher R Value than foam of equal thickness?

2) Any idea how the EcoFridges compare with the Sundanzers and EcoSolarCool when it comes to energy efficiency and quality/durability?

The PolyIso in addition to having a better R Value per inch that some other material, has better properties in NOT absorbing mositure. Mousture absorbing is a KILLER in refrigeration.

EcoFridges, sundanzers, EcoSolarcool.....they are all using the same basic design of taking an energy efficient 12v compressor in installing it in a standard 120v refrigerator Box. It is something you certainly could do yourself if you have the refrigeration equipment, but the trick is not wasting more money learning how to do it yourself than the labor charge these companies are adding into the product.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freezer