Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2016, 07:41   #1

Boat: Irwin 40 Mk II 1982
What do I need to finish the setup?

I have four solar panels. Two solar panels are 100 W and two are 120 W. I have a Silentwind with the included PWM controller. I have read that I need a separate controller for the 120 W panels and the 100 W panels. I want to have an MPPT controller for the banks. I want to do 450 ah bank for the house and a separate battery for the engine. I have no inverter nor do I have a battery charger at this time. I will be redoing all the wiring as necessary for coastal cruising with as much time on the hook as possible. As of now I have 9 total incandescent and florescent mixed lights, not including the navigation lights. I will be replacing navigation and all lighting with LED. I have not decided which batteries to use 6V versus 12V. Not even group 31 versus 8D. My thought process is to go toward the 6V route due to size and weight issues when you do have to change them out. I will also be adding a Raymarine A98 chartplotter and the R418HD radar as well. I will also want to add an inverter but not sure about the charger. Should I buy the all in one inverter/charger or the cheaper route of two separate items. I also will be adding an AIS and a desktop computer for work. We will also make the refrigeration work as it was never completely installed prior to our purchase. The refrigeration does run on a engine driven compressor so not sure how that may affect the electrical side. Sorry for the novel but was trying to be as thorough as possible with where we are and where we want to be. I just need to fill out some items before we get there so as to make the install as easy as possible with few delays for equipment. So anyone able to fill in the holes with what I have to have to make solar and wind and batteries work would be greatly appreciated.
Lockjr is offline   Reply With Quote