Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2018, 09:13   #16

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham
Re: What crimper do you guys use for larger cables?

I use solder and a gas torch. The recommendation against solder connections is because the copper can get brittle. You stop this by plunging the connection ito water while it is still hot which anneals the copper. I am sure it is not as strong as crimping but on heavy gauge wire that does not seam to be a problem. Never had a breakage but you do need enough heat to make sure you don't get a 'dry' joint.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 09:22   #17

We ground down the Harbor Freight smallest die to crimp the larger cables. Works great.
Always crimp before, if you solder. We followed up with Type II silicone under shrink tubing.
Locquatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 09:25   #18
KTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locquatious View Post
We ground down the Harbor Freight smallest die to crimp the larger cables. Works great.
Always crimp before, if you solder. We followed up with Type II silicone under shrink tubing.
Yeah this is what I am thinking. The Harbor Freight tool is actually one of their better tools...the hydraulic action works and is easy to use, compact. The dies are wide enough, they just are not the correct size.

A skilled dremel tool operator can do some amazing stuff...worth a try. Even if you somewhat mess up the hardening (if it is surface hardened only), it probably is still good for quite a few crimps.
KTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 09:55   #19

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

I do alot of elect. work on boat's, and use the hammer swager, with cable like 2/0 i place 2 heat shrink tubes over the fitting.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 10:17   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTP View Post
Yeah this is what I am thinking. The Harbor Freight tool is actually one of their better tools...the hydraulic action works and is easy to use, compact. The dies are wide enough, they just are not the correct size.
Our cables were fine for 3-4 years. During Irma, when the batteries were immersed in fresh water, the battery bolts and copper lugs were blown/melted off. The crimp connections showed no corrosion or damage.

We gave the tool to a local mechanic with the proviso that we could always use it. He used it a lot and after a few years, when I needed it again, there was no sign of adverse wear.
Locquatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 10:20   #21
KTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locquatious View Post
Our cables were fine for 3-4 years. During Irma, when the batteries were immersed in fresh water, the battery bolts and copper lugs were blown/melted off. The crimp connections showed no corrosion or damage.
Oh my. I guess yes, batteries of any type and water submersion don't really mix (except the Torqeedo battery since they have a water sensor and disconnect)
Old 18-07-2018, 10:22   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

I use a K series Greenlee crimper.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 10:42   #23
KTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
I use a K series Greenlee crimper.
The K-09-2GL which does 8AWG to 4/0AWG looks like the bees knees.

And it is made in Germany!

5 star reviews on Amazon, says does perfect hex crimps.

I think I am going with that one.

Edit: Wait, just saw this from Beetle on this forum:

"I crimped up 60+ 4/0 battery cable lugs for my dad when rewiring the battery bank on his boat, and we bought a Greenlee K09-2GL crimper:

Amazon.com: Greenlee K09-2GL K-Series Crimping Tool, 8-4/0 AWG: Home Improvement

This is a dial-a-wire-diameter hex-crimper, and it took 3-4 crimps per lug to make the crip as the actual crimping surface is quite narrow. It would have been much nicer to make a complete crimp in one pass, rather than have to work the lug into the crimper 3+ times for each lug.

I've used the Ancor crimper previously mentioned, in a vice and with a lump hammer, and it has the same issue (multiple passes to crimp one lug) though it is much smaller to store on board than the big Greenlee tool.

My suggestion is that you check with the manufacturer to see if the tool will make a complete crimp in one pass - you're probably looking at something that with a crimping surface area of 1/2"-5/8", rather than the 1/8"-3/16" that the Greenlee had. I don't know if one could actually do a complete crimp that wide in one pass with a hand-tool - I had to work darn hard to close the Greenlee tool down for the 1/8" crimp in 4/0 cable!

- rob/beetle"
Old 18-07-2018, 10:53   #24
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTP View Post
The K-09-2GL which does 8AWG to 4/0AWG looks like the bees knees.

And it is made in Germany!

5 star reviews on Amazon, says does perfect hex crimps.

I think I am going with that one.
That is the one I have. It works very well. I've done everything from 8 to 2/0 with it.

It more or less paid for its'self when I redid the battery and inverter cables in 2/0.

I only found 1 bad crimp - I have an inverter jumper in 2/0 that gets warm when 120 amps is flowing. The matching ground is cool. I use one of the IR temp gauges on my crimps when running current to verify that they are good. I have not replaced the jumper yet.... I rarely run high current through the inverter so it is low on my list. Someday....
Old 18-07-2018, 11:00   #25
Marine Service Provider

I would like to point out Mainesail's page on this:

https://marinehowto.com/making-your-own-battery-cables/
Old 18-07-2018, 11:31   #26
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

The issue with many "good but cheap" crimpers is the die set is metric, few sizes close enough to AWG/imperial unit increments.

Just the die sets alone can cost hundreds.

Maybe ordering metric sized marine wire / termination supplies would help?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 11:40   #27
KTP

Mainesail got a good crimp with the HFT hydraulic crimper on 4AWG wire using the 1/0 die

This tells me it is a possibility still if one can machine the die to the correct size. Essentially you are wanting to reduce the copper to an even hex shape, with all sides of the hex being equal and no ears. A pair of dial calipers can tell you if all of the sides are the same. Once you have it doing that you are good to go.

I might mess around with it and if I can't get it to work, then get the FTZ crimper Mainesail recommends (although not sure if it works with the 50 2/0AWG flared Ancor lugs I just ordered...)
Old 18-07-2018, 12:38   #28
Marine Service Provider

KTP What is your location?
Old 18-07-2018, 12:48   #29
KTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
KTP What is your location?
Blaine, WA
Old 18-07-2018, 12:53   #30
Zil

that Ftz crimper works quite well with any quality usa lug. Ancor fits that description. The only problem is the settings on the Ftz are keyed to the Ftz lugs. I could measure the diameter of the Ftz lugs and you can compare to the ancor.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cables