Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2015, 10:28   #16
Senior Cruiser
 
s/v Beth's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Posts: 4,066
Re: What be a high capacity battery, and which with thickest plates?

Just putting in solar and a inverter. I have kept my Crown (Trojan clones) above 12.4 now for 5 years and they are still going great. 450 amp-hours for a 40 foot cruiser. The Lead plate thickness is available if you look hard enough. I just saw that Costco has Interstate "golf cart" batteries for 85 USD. May look at them next time.
Questions
Hydrocaps- anyone know of a current supplier?
__________________

__________________
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 11:15   #17
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 3,958
Re: What be a high capacity battery, and which with thickest plates?

Why 450 ah house bank? On our 42 we have a mere 185ah golf cart pair. That with 200 watts solar and full led lighting. Even the fridge don't draw us down to where we need anymore than that more batteries would be just more money, weight and more maintance. ( also have a dedicated 750 CCA starting battery for main diesel and a 165ah dedicated battery for the windless. Neither are used as part of house bank )
Here's the link to current supplier of the hydro vent caps but at $18 USD a pop. WOW
https://r-charge.3dcartstores.com/mo...-16_p_134.html
__________________

__________________
newhaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 17:27   #18
Registered User
 
Sailor Doug's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Lake Erie
Boat: H36
Posts: 384
Re: What be a high capacity battery, and which with thickest plates?

Using voltage to gauge battery capacity requires that you have no load on them for 24 hours.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 17:54   #19
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 3,958
Re: What be a high capacity battery, and which with thickest plates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Doug View Post
Using voltage to gauge battery capacity requires that you have no load on them for 24 hours.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
One question where are you getting that resting time test requirement I got the following from yuesa batteries. " Static Battery Voltage Test

Prior to conducting this test, make sure the battery has not been recently charged. You must wait at least one hour after charging your battery to conduct this test.
Adjust voltmeter to DC volts (20 volt range).
Place voltmeter leads to the battery terminals. (positive to positive and negative to negative)
Read voltage and refer to the chart below.
Methods of Checking Battery Condition

State of
Charge Syringe
Hydrometer Digital
Voltmeter 5-Ball
Hydrometer
100% Charged
w/Sulfate Stop 1.280 12.80v 5 Balls Floating
100% Charged 1.265 12.60v 4 Balls Floating
75% Charged 1.210 12.40v 3 Balls Floating
50% Charged 1.160 12.10v 2 Balls Floating
25% Charged 1.120 11.90v 1 Balls Floating
0% Charged less than 11.80v here's the company site I quoted
Yuasa Batteries - FAQ's
__________________
newhaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 18:29   #20
Registered User
 
Sailor Doug's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Lake Erie
Boat: H36
Posts: 384
Re: What be a high capacity battery, and which with thickest plates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
One question where are you getting that resting time test requirement I got the following from yuesa batteries. " Static Battery Voltage Test

Prior to conducting this test, make sure the battery has not been recently charged. You must wait at least one hour after charging your battery to conduct this test.
Adjust voltmeter to DC volts (20 volt range).
Place voltmeter leads to the battery terminals. (positive to positive and negative to negative)
Read voltage and refer to the chart below.
Methods of Checking Battery Condition

State of
ChargeSyringe
HydrometerDigital
Voltmeter5-Ball
Hydrometer
100% Charged
w/Sulfate Stop1.28012.80v5 Balls Floating
100% Charged1.26512.60v4 Balls Floating
75% Charged1.21012.40v3 Balls Floating
50% Charged1.16012.10v2 Balls Floating
25% Charged1.12011.90v1 Balls Floating
0% Chargedless than 11.80v here's the company site I quoted
Yuasa Batteries - FAQ's
Can't remember my source. I spent too many hours watch a digital voltmeter bouncing and trying to figure out condition of batteries. Found this to be a very accurate low cost solution.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 20:06   #21
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Probably in an anchorage or a boatyard..
Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Posts: 3,537
Re: What be a high capacity battery, and which with thickest plates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
One question where are you getting that resting time test requirement I got the following from yuesa batteries. " Static Battery Voltage Test

Prior to conducting this test, make sure the battery has not been recently charged. You must wait at least one hour after charging your battery to conduct this test.
There was a youtube video (Mainesail maybe?) showing the voltage took 24 hours to stabilize after charging.
__________________
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 20:23   #22
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 3,958
Re: What be a high capacity battery, and which with thickest plates?

Not sure about that I do know that the info I posted on is from a manufacturer of fla batteries
__________________
newhaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 23:04   #23
Registered User
 
Sailor Doug's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Lake Erie
Boat: H36
Posts: 384
Re: What be a high capacity battery, and which with thickest plates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Not sure about that I do know that the info I posted on is from a manufacturer of fla batteries
I only have Yuasa in my motorcycle (: the test I had was for golf cart batteries


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 17:49   #24
Senior Cruiser
 
s/v Beth's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Posts: 4,066
Re: What be a high capacity battery, and which with thickest plates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Why 450 ah house bank? On our 42 we have a mere 185ah golf cart pair. That with 200 watts solar and full led lighting. Even the fridge don't draw us down to where we need anymore than that more batteries would be just more money, weight and more maintance. ( also have a dedicated 750 CCA starting battery for main diesel and a 165ah dedicated battery for the windless. Neither are used as part of house bank )
Here's the link to current supplier of the hydro vent caps but at $18 USD a pop. WOW
https://r-charge.3dcartstores.com/mo...-16_p_134.html
I am going to double that bank soon. Reason? I want to be able to go 2-3 days of cloudy weather without charging and still keep within 70- 80 % or so of capacity. Frig and Instraments-6amps/hour times 48=288amp hours. 900 amp hours- 30% of which is 336. Right now at 24 hours I need to charge (my Honda generator, abiet only a hour or two.)
Now I am going to:
Get rid of that old inefficient fridge and
Put in a newer inverter, which will draw less on standby.
BTW- if your battery charger uses an equalizing charge, don't waste your time with hydrocaps. It will melt the catalyst. I am looking into just a system for equalizing the fluid often. Will let you know how it goes.
__________________
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 18:48   #25
Senior Cruiser
 
Roy M's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Southwestern Yacht Club, San Diego, CA
Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Posts: 3,042
Images: 4
Re: What be a high capacity battery, and which with thickest plates?

Sorry, I don't quite get the reference to "melt the catalyst". Did I miss something in all those chemistry classes? Platinum doesn't "melt" at the temperatures that are reached by batteries recharging or equalizing. Please substantiate this statement with actual physical facts. And, I don't equalize. I'm still using a desulfator to take care of that possibility. That, also, has substantiating evidence. Let's keep the discussion clear.

The other improvements you recommend are valid and proven. An efficient and well insulated reefer system makes obvious sense. 21st century electrical and electronic products are a smart move.
__________________
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 19:32   #26
Registered User
 
glenn.225's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kingston, ON
Boat: Albin Vega 27'
Posts: 342
Re: What be a high capacity battery, and which with thickest plates?

Battery voltage while batteries are being used is not the best way to determine state of charge. Although many people do use it and I did for a couple of years.

Want you should have is a battery monitor, it takes the guess work out of it. A monitor like the Victron Bmv-600s is worth it in just peace of mind and it tells you a lot more than state of charge.

Check out Maine sail's site, ton of good info. Installing A Battery Monitor Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

__________________
Glenn
glenn.225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 22:36   #27
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 3,958
Re: What be a high capacity battery, and which with thickest plates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I am going to double that bank soon. Reason? I want to be able to go 2-3 days of cloudy weather without charging and still keep within 70- 80 % or so of capacity. Frig and Instraments-6amps/hour times 48=288amp hours. 900 amp hours- 30% of which is 336. Right now at 24 hours I need to charge (my Honda generator, abiet only a hour or two.)
Now I am going to:
Get rid of that old inefficient fridge and
Put in a newer inverter, which will draw less on standby.
BTW- if your battery charger uses an equalizing charge, don't waste your time with hydrocaps. It will melt the catalyst. I am looking into just a system for equalizing the fluid often. Will let you know how it goes.
You really do need to upgrade your fridge system if its using that much power our technautics holding plate only uses an average of 21 ah per day and everything else put together uses less than 10 ah per day. On a cloudy rainny day we get are full charged by noon. At least half of the 21 ah for the fridge are in the afternoon directly off the solar panels.
__________________
newhaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 06:09   #28
Registered User
 
denverd0n's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,950
Images: 6
Re: What be a high capacity battery, and which with thickest plates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
BTW- if your battery charger uses an equalizing charge, don't waste your time with hydrocaps. It will melt the catalyst.
I don't think it is going to melt the catalyst, but the company does recommend removing the Hydrocaps when equalizing.
__________________
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 08:02   #29
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 5
Re: What be a high capacity battery, and which with thickest plates?

I understand money is a factor but why wet cell batteries in a boat? It makes no sense the acid and they smell. Get agm s they charge faster no smell no acid they don't even need a box. Master volt makes the best ones east pen make the best for the price ones. 8D is going to be the most amps for the money and less connections than using 31 s. I put east pen agm s in my boat 6 years ago and the are still going strong. I never let them fall bellow 60%.
__________________
Nlarsin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 08:41   #30
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: WY / Currently in Hayes VA on the Chesapeake
Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44
Posts: 922
Re: What be a high capacity battery, and which with thickest plates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlarsin01 View Post
I understand money is a factor but why wet cell batteries in a boat? It makes no sense the acid and they smell. Get agm s they charge faster no smell no acid they don't even need a box. Master volt makes the best ones east pen make the best for the price ones. 8D is going to be the most amps for the money and less connections than using 31 s. I put east pen agm s in my boat 6 years ago and the are still going strong. I never let them fall bellow 60%.

Nice batteries but $$$$ and heavy to move in and out. Also not availble at Sam's or Costco.
__________________

__________________
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Link 10 Battery Monitor -Setting Battery Capacity hugh c Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 3 02-05-2012 12:57
Best high-capacity electric bilge pump sneuman Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 1 06-06-2008 11:52
Holding plates or evaporator plates captden Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 21 08-05-2008 19:56
High Capacity Deck Wash Pumps Roy M Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 5 21-05-2007 19:25
Battery Capacity Advise needed rleslie Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 2 22-05-2005 23:56



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:04.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.