Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2015, 08:45   #1
tat

Boat: cabin cruiser 22ft
What be a high capacity battery, and which with thickest plates?

I'm looking to buy a flooded deep-cycle battery.

Although I will not use a lot of amps, usually, I want a high capacity battery so that I will not need to discharge it much before I am able to recharge it (with a Honda 900watt silent generator and a 40amp unsmart charger), so it will mean I will have the capacity if I need it, but be able to keep it in good shape as I will not drain it too deep, usually.

So what would be a high capacity battery?

Also, I want to get a battery with the thickest plates. Do you know? How would I know, please?
tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:10   #2

Re: What be a high capacity battery, and which with thickest plates?

You may be overthinking it, but generally I think golf cart batteries have thick plates. But they are 6 volt so it takes 2. A good deep cycle battery will have "thick" plates. Only way I know to tell would be to compare weights. Each time a battery is discharged and charged it gives off some of it's plate material. So deep cycle batteries have thick plates apparently...(all second hand knowledge).... But you say you don't intend to discharge it much, so if that's the case... not sure you need a deep cycle battery...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:14   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Philip Rhodes Custom

Once upon a time battery manufacturers would specify the amp-hour capacity of their batteries, even though the capacity is a function of load. Sift through their specs and purchase the largest capacity they appear to have for the space and weight you have available. The "deeper" the cycle the thicker the plates but that is all you can use for a guide, they don't give internal specifications.
Andina Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:43   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Tubular traction batteries are best, but very pricey. After that it's a crap shoot

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 12-04-2015, 09:44   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Two 6v golf cart batteries is m2cw will give you about 200 ah for about 100 ah usable and the thickest plates for the money. Golf shops sell used ones with 80% of life left in them for less than half of new units ( usually less than a year old)
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 05:20   #6

You need to start by getting some concept of your electrical usage. "What would be a high capacity battery" depends entirely on how much you need/want to use. If you are only powering a few LED lights then what constitutes a "high capacity battery" for you will be completely different than for someone who runs lights, a stereo, full suite of instruments, an electric head, pressure water system, a refrigerator, and so on.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 07:56   #7

Boat: Stevens 47

Generally, Trojan T105 6V golf cart batteries give the biggest bang for the buck. They have a capacity of 225 amp hours and will last for years if properly maintained (keep distilled water in them and keep them charged).

In my neck of the woods, they sell for about $120 per battery at my local golf cart shop. You can get them delivered for about $150 per.

A previous poster is certainly right, too, that you need to know your electrical demand to properly size your battery bank. A 225 amp bank (two six volt T105s wired in series) will give you about 110 amp hours if discharged to 50%, the recommended discharge level before charging. Two banks will obviously double that.

Best of luck.
sainted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 19:02   #8

Boat: Northwind 7 trailer sailer

Something that has bothered me for a while: how do I know what percentage discharge my 100 Ahr deep cycle battery is when it's voltage is say,11.8? What's the lowest voltage I should allow?
Sorry if this off topic but I hope it is a relevant question here.
Thanks!
Pete
On the Gippsland Lakes,
Australia
Isabella Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 19:24   #9

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I use 4 six volt batteries in my house bank. They are the L16 style which means they are TALL, around 18" with the special Hydrocaps which convert the produced gases from charging back into water to reduce maintenance. This format gives me a nominal 740 amphours. I chose this so as to have a sufficient capacity to allow me to have a substantial reefer and freezer. Ideally, you don't want to use more than one-half of your battery capacity in order to get the best longevity from your bank. I have a separate battery for my engine start and windlass draw.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0018.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	420.6 KB
ID:	100619   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0021.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	363.1 KB
ID:	100620  

Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 19:56   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella Jane View Post
Something that has bothered me for a while: how do I know what percentage discharge my 100 Ahr deep cycle battery is when it's voltage is say,11.8? What's the lowest voltage I should allow?
Thanks!
Pete
On the Gippsland Lakes,
Australia
Here's a chart to help answer your questions http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...2Dec051817.gif hope it helps
Old 17-04-2015, 23:42   #11

Boat: Northwind 7 trailer sailer

Thanks Newhaul. Just what I needed. Appreciate your help to a (very) newby.
Cheers from me!
Isabella Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 07:01   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thanks Newhaul. Just what I needed. Appreciate your help to a (very) newby.
Cheers from me!
Being a newby is nothing to scoff at my last name is Newby and I used to own a small trucking company ( newby hauling) aka newhaul. And you are very welcome. Glad to help when I can.
One thing I forgot to mention take the voltage readings with at least a 30 minute rest period after heavy use or charging to allow the voltage to stabilize ( large load items like a refer or autopilot)
Old 18-04-2015, 22:35   #13
tat

Boat: cabin cruiser 22ft

Quote:
Thanks!
Pete
On the Gippsland Lakes,
Australia
This is what i wanted to know, and in a book I found a table. Like the link posted, it shows the rested state of charge and the capacity %, but also seems to show the state of charge when the batteries are/have been in use. The rested charge is just to see if you have charged them enough. But we also need to know how much we have got left in them before we need to charge again.

It was a table in the book called Essential Boat Electrics by Pat Manley. I've just 'looked inside' on Amazon and near the back in the useful tables is the chart for this. I'm going to cut it out and stick it next to the volt/amp meter.

For instance, the rested figure is 12.8v for 100%, but 100% after a few days is actually 12.5v. It is the 'after a few days' capacity we need, not just the rested after charging figure.

According to this chart in the book, your battery, reading 11.8 volts, if not a load on it when you took the voltage would be down to 30% capacity. The chart recommends that you should re-charge at 50%, which is a reading of 12.0v. Or, if you had a 5amp load on it when you read it, then 11.9v, or if you had a 10amp load on it when you read it, then 11.7v.
tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 08:17   #14

It's all over an internet search:

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 08:37   #15

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

This is the chart I have by my volt meter. However I colored it yellow at 12.06 volts. Any one on the boat knows that we want to do something about it before it gets to yellow.

As others have stated you need to figure out your usage.

Best value in deep cycle batteries seem to be Duracell 6 volt golf cart batteries at Sam's Club if you live in a state where Sam's carries them.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery