Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 11:13   #46

Boat: Grampian 26
Re: What About 'these' Solar Panels ?

lots of good info, I got a kit from costco at the start of the year 70 watt with mppt controller and 300 watt inverter plus cables and mounting device for 275.00 .
The mount was useless as it was designed to be up right at slight angle, I mounted on my dodger with alum frame i made to hold panels, lines run along piping for dodger.
So far I have been able to stay on hook for more then 5 days with no engine or shore assistance, to say the least this is mission accomplished for my needs at the moment. My point is if you put anything in that can help it will be worth it, I now have more ideas on uses and how much more toys I can add and also that I have a working knowledge of the system and its improvements even if i wasted the 350 total I invested I gained that much more from it and extended my weekends from 2 days to almost being self sufficient
knottygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 16:18   #47

Hi

I am investigating a solar installation for my yacht and have experienced the minefield around their use in a marine / salt laden environment.

Non of the main stream manufacturers of solar panels will guarantee or warranty the use of their panels in a agricultural / marine environment or on a mobile platform ie boats or RV [recreational vehicles].

But I have now located a manufacturer SOLAR FRONTIER [http://www.bweurope.eu/Fotovoltaico/..._Brochure.pdf] whose CIS panels have been passed for use in a salt and ammonia environment as per the following article.

Hope this info helps anyone who like myself is searching for the most suitable panel for use on their boat.

If anyone has any other thin film CIS or CIGS panels that have passed these or similar tests would they please reply so that I can check them out

Solar Frontier’s thin film modules pass salt mist and ammonia resistance test

August 25, 2011
Solar Frontier (Tokyo, Japan) on August 22nd, 2011 announced that its CIS (copper, indium, selenium) thin-film PV modules have passed all salt mist and ammonia resistance tests devised by TÜV Rheinland (Cologne, Germany) and received the relevant certifications proving this. It is a distinction few PV manufacturers have.
In agricultural areas it is vital that the glass, frame and connections of the modules are not corroded by ammonia generated by livestock, while near seashores, resistance against the corrosive attributes of salt mist is essential. TÜV Rheinland’s tests showed that even high concentrations of salt mist and ammonia did not affect Solar Frontier’s modules or lead to accelerated degradation.
“With TÜV Rheinland salt mist and ammonia resistance certification, installers and homeowners can now rest assured that a PV installation with Solar Frontier modules is not only an economical and ecological investment, but also a secure investment when located near the seashore or in livestock-intensive agricultural areas,” said Wolfgang Lange, Managing Director, Solar Frontier Europe.
“Our modules withstood even the most challenging TÜV Rheinland tests, showing that they remain unaffected by the corrosive properties of ammonia or salt mist.”
Solar Frontier’s globally distributed CIS thin-film modules, now rated up to 155W, are produced at its new gigawatt-scale Kunitomi plant in Miyazaki, Japan. Certification for salt mist and ammonia testifies to the high quality of Solar Frontier’s made-in-Japan solar modules.
Source: Solar Server

Solar Frontier’s thin film modules pass salt mist and ammonia resistance test | Asia Cleantech Gateway
dougwm10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 17:17   #48
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Non of the main stream manufacturers of solar panels will guarantee or warranty the use of their panels in a agricultural / marine environment"

Last I heard BP and Kyocera still did, although there's a long-standing rumour that Kyocera want to get out of the consumer market completely and deal only wholesale/industrial. But they're still selling to anyone, and they may be the only vendor who has been in business long enough to know what their warranty return rates actually will be.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:43   #49

Boat: Taswell 49

I am in touch with a sales rep from UL Solar and he is quoting $999 for (4) of their 100 watt panels (shipped to my house in Annapolis) found here:

Solar Panel 100 Watt 12 Volt Polycrystalline Silicon PV

I have asked about the warranty and he has stated they are waranteed for use in a marine environment. Their warranty is here:

WARRANTY

These panels seem like a good deal and from the spec sheets appear to be well made. I was at the boatshow this weekend and e-marine was touting 100 watt panels for $349. What am I missing with these UL panels and free shipping?
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 13:03   #50
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

You mean, aside from the fact that the last item on their warranty page states that the warranty applied (past tense) only in the year 2008?

"10. Validity

This “Limited Warranty for PV modules” is valid for all modules dispatched between 1st January 2008 and 31st December 2008."

Sure got a lot of products and a lot of fire sale prices. Have you ever seen their panels hands-on though? I'd be curious to actually see what the quality and construction looks like, because posting a 2008 warranty, and naming your company confusingly similar to Undrewriter's Labs (UL) in an electrical business....Yeah, sometimes my gut is wrong about that but this kind of stuff just doesn't inspire great faith and confidence in their products, to me.

Maybe it is a great deal. What will return shipping cost you if you don't like the sight of them?
Old 12-10-2011, 13:46   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
You mean, aside from the fact that the last item on their warranty page states that the warranty applied (past tense) only in the year 2008?

"10. Validity

This “Limited Warranty for PV modules” is valid for all modules dispatched between 1st January 2008 and 31st December 2008."

Sure got a lot of products and a lot of fire sale prices. Have you ever seen their panels hands-on though? I'd be curious to actually see what the quality and construction looks like, because posting a 2008 warranty, and naming your company confusingly similar to Undrewriter's Labs (UL) in an electrical business....Yeah, sometimes my gut is wrong about that but this kind of stuff just doesn't inspire great faith and confidence in their products, to me.

Maybe it is a great deal. What will return shipping cost you if you don't like the sight of them?

I missed the 2008 language, good catch. Ive been trading emails with the sales rep over the past several days who has been very responsive. I agree it sounds too good to be true and am cautious. Im going to call them on monday to order and confirm warranty questions. Will see what quality looks like when panels arrive. Fingers crossed.
Old 12-10-2011, 14:17   #52
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Do let us know--because it sure does SOUND good. I'd be curious to see if they ship 2008 warranty papers with the panels as well. Or perhaps, deliver them in a tricked-out Delorean? <G>
Old 12-10-2011, 18:37   #53

Ha ha good stuff there. I think by ordering over the phone and speaking to someone there I should get at least an indication if there is a problem simply by the quality of the answers to my questions. Warranty papers from 2008 being on the list. Return shipping is another. I am cautiously optimistic though.
Old 13-10-2011, 07:45   #54

If you are going to use a MPPT controller and have the space, why not use (2) 210 watt panels from Kyocera....... 210 Watt 24 Volt Solar Panel KD210GX-LFBS $319. Kyocera is known for honoring their warranty.

Solar Cell, Solar Panel, Solar PV, Solar Products, Charge Controllers, Solar Trackers
70AMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 09:14   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70AMX View Post
If you are going to use a MPPT controller and have the space, why not use (2) 210 watt panels from Kyocera....... 210 Watt 24 Volt Solar Panel KD210GX-LFBS $319. Kyocera is known for honoring their warranty.

Solar Cell, Solar Panel, Solar PV, Solar Products, Charge Controllers, Solar Trackers

I dont have the space. Otherwise I would be going with a bigger panel. I need to keep the frame size to a max of 40" x 26". Highest watt panel I have seen in this frame size is 100 watts.
Old 17-10-2011, 11:17   #56

Trigger pulled on (2) 100 watt UL panels. I called the company on my way home friday and had a very nice chat with Alex their sales rep. He advised that the warranty was based on actual date of invoice with 90% of output warranteed for 10 years and 80% of output after 25 years. He also said the panels were made in Thailand now but that they are building a factory to make them in Nevada in a few years from now. Right now they make a lot of ancillary products at the nevada location basically everything but the panels themselves. He understood my apprehension and gave me the two panels at the price he originally quoted four at as I advised I really wanted to see the panels before I committed to all 4. They should arrive thurs or fri this week and I will post pictures and observations. I am cautiosly optimistic. $2.50 per watt is pretty appealing but proof will be in delivery.
Old 25-10-2011, 11:20   #57

Got the panels yesterday. Will photograph and share. At first glance they look pretty well built to me. Junction boxes appear pretty robust and frames seem stout. Will have to install before I can speak to output but based on what I am seeing right now they look like pretty good panels and at $250 ea for 100 watt panels shipped to Annapolis Im happy so far...
Old 25-10-2011, 12:32   #58

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2968156063.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	32957

Our electrician was really surprised when our 5 kyoceras were pushing out a full 50 amps.
Thanks to the recommendation of Kent at Just Catamarans in Fort Lauderdale, we are more than surprised at the outputs we are achieving through the solar panels and blue sky controller.
Our Balmar alternators were getting a bit confused so we installed a relay to disconnect the solar feed to the batteries when turning in engines - bingo - problem solved
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 12:37   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
Attachment 32957

Our electrician was really surprised when our 5 kyoceras were pushing out a full 50 amps.
Thanks to the recommendation of Kent at Just Catamarans in Fort Lauderdale, we are more than surprised at the outputs we are achieving through the solar panels and blue sky controller.
Our Balmar alternators were getting a bit confused so we installed a relay to disconnect the solar feed to the batteries when turning in engines - bingo - problem solved

I looked at Kyoceras and could not find them in a frame size I needed to work on my boat. Also the price was substantially higher than these UL solar panels. Im not going to bad mouth Kyoceras though as everyone on this board swears by them. I only wish I could have found 100 watt Kyoceras in a 40 x 26 frame. Wow 50 amps huh? What size panels are you running?
Old 25-10-2011, 12:45   #60
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Demeter View Post
I am in touch with a sales rep from UL Solar and he is quoting $999 for (4) of their 100 watt panels (shipped to my house in Annapolis) found here:

Solar Panel 100 Watt 12 Volt Polycrystalline Silicon PV

I have asked about the warranty and he has stated they are waranteed for use in a marine environment. Their warranty is here:

WARRANTY

These panels seem like a good deal and from the spec sheets appear to be well made. I was at the boatshow this weekend and e-marine was touting 100 watt panels for $349. What am I missing with these UL panels and free shipping?
This has been my expereince with these panels:

Sail Delmarva: Solar Panels

It's only been 6 months, but no problems so far.

Tags
solar