Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2019, 19:20   #1

westerbeke will not run when switch released

release the run switch it stops. it will run if you hold it up. i have replaced water temp sensor, both oil pressure and temp sensors, and exhaust temp sensor. sams problem. then i replaced both relays and overspeed board. same problem. It is also blowing the 8amp fuse about every other time you try to start it. i can disconnect the remote start harness and it quits blowing fuses but will still not continue to run. sounds great and powers the boat if you hold the run switch on. Any help would be great. i am losing my mind and my patience working on this unit. I am in eastern ky and no one around to fix this. i do not want to pull it out and drive it hours away. i would however gladly pay someone that would come here to fix it.
paladin10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 19:43   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: westerbeke will not run when switch released

Suspect low oil pressure switch wiring, at least many generators overrode the low oil pressure switch when the starter is engaged, and the low oil protection is enabled after the switch is released.

Not normal for main engines to have low oil pressure shut down, so just theorizing.

Question, how is your engine shut down? I mean intentionally, what happens when the stop switch is pressed?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 21:06   #3

Boat: 1984 Catalina 30 trbsfk M-25

Give me some basic info to help you. Boat? Which WB engine? What engine panel do you have?

I have several schematics but need a hint, at least an itty bitty hint, in order to try to help.

-Ken
also a Wb dealer

PM or email me
KWKloeber at aol dot com
kloebereng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:30   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, paladin, and Ken.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:42   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I’ll need to assume this is a generator.

Normally the series of safeties for a generator are oil pressure (NO), water temp (NC), and exhaust temp (NC). When you hold the preheat or start switch you’re essentially bypassing the oil pressure switch until the oil pressure comes up and the switch is closed. This electrical path will then energize a relay that energizes the run solenoid on the fuel injection pump.

You said you’ve replaced the sensors, but if you’ve got gauges these are different than the switches.
You’ll have an oil pressure sender, and an oil pressure switch for instance.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:44   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Check the throttle solenoid. It opens the throttle when you hold the switch on, and then should hold it open based on current via the (usually) oil pressure sensor, telling it that the engine is running. If the throttle closes when you take your finger off, and the engine is running, then trace backwards until you find the problem.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:27   #7

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

Welcome to the forum.

My generator does exactly the same thing when the remote panel control switch is not set properly and the on-generator switch is used to start the generator.

When the on-generator start switches are used, first set the remote panel control switch three-position START / ON / OFF switch in the middle ON position not in the bottom OFF position. If not, then the generator will stop immediately after releasing the START switch.

If the remote panel control switch is to be removed, then a bypass wire / connector must be positioned instead to enable the local control, per the instructions in the Westerbeke manual.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:32   #8

Boat: Camano 41

Just had a similar problem with my Kohler 9.5, which I thought was the fuel solenoid, because if I defeated it by holding it open the generator would run. So I replaced it. Still no go. Had a diesel mechanic come look at it and he checked all the shutoff sensors, replaced the 2 relays at about $3 each, still no go. He looks up at me and says, it's the circuit board. Now Saturday afternoon at 5:30, didn't leave many options. So he says, I'll take it home and resolder the connections and bring it back tomorrow. Reinstalls it Sunday morning and it has run perfect ever since. Go figure.Who resolders a circuit board these days?
Greg Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:59   #9

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Mason View Post
Go figure.Who resolders a circuit board these days?
We do almost every day on oilfield downhole data acquisition tools!!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:02   #10

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Just a shot in the dark without further information, but it sounds a lot like you have a wire or wire/connector interface that is internally broken.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:54   #11

Boat: Gulfstar 50

With Westerbeke, you must briefly hold down the stop switch to reset, after a failed start attempt. I know it cannot be that easy, it never is. But it is worth a try, and a good habit to form. It is never a problem in normal operations, because it is the last thing you did to shut the genny off on the previous run. But if the genny dies on its own, or will not start, it needs the reset.
Mojadito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:19   #12

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Fwiw, my WB genset also has a toggle switch reset located on the side of the generator portion of the unit. Not so obvious on mine actually, and took me awhile to even become aware it was there.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 15:44   #13

Boat: Houseboat, 60ft.

I think mine also has to see the correct voltage before it will keep going when switch released.
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 19:11   #14

Boat: Jefferson Rivanna 48 ACMY

I had this problem on an 8.0 Diesel Westerbreak. Changed or tested all the safety switches to no avail and called the electronic technician who found a bad diode in the control box on the unit. Simple fix but you have to know what to look for.
Bassman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 18:45   #15

Boat: 29' CHawk Sport Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by paladin10 View Post
release the run switch it stops. it will run if you hold it up. i have replaced water temp sensor, both oil pressure and temp sensors, and exhaust temp sensor. sams problem. then i replaced both relays and overspeed board. same problem. It is also blowing the 8amp fuse about every other time you try to start it. i can disconnect the remote start harness and it quits blowing fuses but will still not continue to run. sounds great and powers the boat if you hold the run switch on. Any help would be great. i am losing my mind and my patience working on this unit. I am in eastern ky and no one around to fix this. i do not want to pull it out and drive it hours away. i would however gladly pay someone that would come here to fix it.

The circuit (switch) you are holding up, if you join the two switch wires together (bypassing the switch) you could use it until you could get somewhere to have it looked at. This only if you can also shut it down with this switch bypassed and in the on position. Just a thought.
Twilite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, westerbeke