Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2019, 23:32   #1

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler
WESTERBEKE genset problem

Hi,

I have a WESTERBEKE 8.0KW_60Hz 6.0KE_50Hz BTDA genset and a problem. The genset will run for 10 minutes, 20 minutes or an hour and then stop. How long the genset runs for seems to be random. The stop is as if someone hit the kill switch – no choking, no spluttering.

Generally, though not on one occasion, the genset can be restarted immediately after the stop.

The engine oil level is correct, the main fuel filter from the tank is spotless, running temperature (about 170F) and oil pressure (about 45 psi) seem to be about right and the generator itself is putting out power as expected. Air filter is clean and air flow pretty much unrestricted. Oil filter and impellor are new, exhaust is clean – no smoke of any color - and exhaust water flow seems normal. The genset is about 15 years old and has had relatively light use

This problem is only days old - the boat has been out of the water over winter until 10 days ago - and has occurred since we replaced the exhaust water injection elbow. This occurrence of the genset stopping problem and the elbow replacement may of course be completely coincidental.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what could be causing this issue.

All help gratefully accepted.

Regards

Bob
bobsadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 00:07   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: WESTERBEKE genset problem

My first thoughts are fuel system or a bad sensor. I would try by disabling sensors and use a fool proof fuel source like a soda bottle with clean diesel hung upside down above the engine.

It can also be the fuel lift pump. Keep an eye on oil level: is it increasing or the oil thinning?
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 00:30   #3
cruiser

OK, I know the answer to this one, having had the exact same problem two years ago on the same genset. Its the fuel delivery/oil pressure gizmo in the picture, I believe its actually a sensor of some kind too, so when fuel isn’t getting through, the engine shuts down.

If I remember correctly, the device is actually an oil pressure sensor which will shut down the fuel supply if it detects insufficient oil pressure, but when the sensor itself goes... you get the problem you’ve described.

Yes, it was a very frustrating problem, we ended up replacing all the engine shut down sensors at the same time, per recommendations of Westerbeke factory technician.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03AFBF9F-A7A3-4037-9454-84E74E43875F.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	403.9 KB
ID:	195859   Click image for larger version

Name:	AD8A10D0-A1CB-4BCD-9696-E098E7AE836A.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	407.3 KB
ID:	195860  

Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 00:41   #4
cruiser

We also replaced this gizmo at the same time, but I believe its more related to the start up process and having to do with the glo plugs.

If I was in your shoes....and I was, I’d order and replace all the 15 year old sensors, otherwise... they will end up failing one at a time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D827F4F8-3C8E-4367-AD63-6A26F92B5E27.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	414.3 KB
ID:	195861  
Old 13-07-2019, 02:04   #5

Many thanks for the responses. I suspected it was one or more of the protective switches going out so your replies have reinforced that. I'm in Greece where Westerbeke techs are thin on the ground (actually non-existent) but I have the Operator, Service and Parts manuals. I don't know if anyone can help but I believe the parts I need are: Oil Pressure Switch (p/n 037323), Oil Pressure Sender (024132), Water Temperature Switch (039550), Water Temperature Sender (035109), Exhaust Temperature Switch (032923). The only reason I'm uncertain on the p/n is that the parts manual covers more than one model and for some items there are 3 or 4 options. My genset is a WESTERBEKE WESTERBEKE 8.0KW_60Hz 6.0KE_50Hz BTDA and I have a 12vdc electrical system. Any comments suggestions gratefully received
Old 13-07-2019, 02:36   #6
cruiser

I’m presently in Corfu, Greece where there seems to be several marine suppliers, and will be heading down towards Lefkas in a week. Let me know if I can be of some help.

My wife is presently in Massachusetts only about 15 miles from Westerbeke, she will be flying here on the 16th of July, if you can somehow get the items in her hands before then, she can bring them to you.
Old 13-07-2019, 07:38   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You only need to replace the switches, switches are on or off devices and control the shutdown.
You may not have senders as they are variable devices and control gauges, so if you have oil pressure, water temp etc gauges you have senders.
These are often called “Murphy switches”

It’s usually very easy to bypass theses switches of course, but then you lose the protection of course
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 07:57   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You only need to replace the switches, switches are on or off devices and control the shutdown.
You may not have senders as they are variable devices and control gauges, so if you have oil pressure, water temp etc gauges you have senders.
These are often called “Murphy switches”

It’s usually very easy to bypass theses switches of course, but then you lose the protection of course
Excellent advice.... if Bob’s intent is to destroy his engine. Those protective devices are there for a good reason.
Old 13-07-2019, 07:59   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I guess Ken you have trouble reading as I told him he lost protection of course.
Once again you come off with the sarcasm, really doesn’t show you in a good light.
However how many times have your shut down switches saved your engine?

You decide the risk, if I needed the generator I’d do it until the new ones came in as I maintain my equipment and have never, ever had a Murphy switch save anything, and yes I have likely more experience with them than most, on generators operating irrigation systems.
Old 13-07-2019, 08:10   #10
cruiser

Quote:
I guess Ken you have trouble reading as I told him he lost protection of course.
Once again you come off with the sarcasm, really doesn’t show you in a good light.
However how many times have your shut down switches saved your engine?

You decide the risk, if I needed the generator I’d do it until the new ones came in as I maintain my equipment and have never, ever had a Murphy switch save anything, and yes I have likely more experience with them than most, on generators operating irrigation systems.
They have saved our generator twice... each time when an impeller self destructed.

I didn’t realize you had a Westerbeke 8kw 50hz generator onboard your IP 38? ‘Seems like overkill. IMO
Old 13-07-2019, 08:40   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
They have saved our generator twice... each time when an impeller self destructed.

I didn’t realize you had a Westerbeke 8kw 50hz generator onboard your IP 38? ‘Seems like overkill. IMO

Ken, Murphy switches are a common part on nearly all generators, even the lowly Honda has an oil level switch.
Impellers are a wear item and should be replaced before failure, however as I believe they are fragile and a bad idea. I eliminated mine.

However any prudent person who had bypassed the Murphy switches should monitor the generator themselves, oil pumps are exceedingly reliable so low oil pressure due to a pump is almost non existent.

By the way, that thing you couldn’t identify, that a Starter Solenoid.
Old 13-07-2019, 08:46   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Ken, Murphy switches are a common part on nearly all generators, even the lowly Honda has an oil level switch.
Impellers are a wear item and should be replaced before failure, however as I believe they are fragile and a bad idea. I eliminated mine.

However any prudent person who had bypassed the Murphy switches should monitor the generator themselves, oil pumps are exceedingly reliable so low oil pressure due to a pump is almost non existent.

By the way, that thing you couldn’t identify, that a Starter Solenoid.
Since you seem to be the Westerbeke 8kw 50hz CF expert, why don’t you go ahead and hand deliver the repair parts to Bob here in Greece.... I’d probably get him the wrong stuff anyway.

I quit this thread.

Goodbye.
Old 13-07-2019, 09:00   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You still don’t get it Ken, Murphy switches are common among nearly all generators, as are Starter Solenoids, manufacturer has no bearing.

The Starter Solenoid you showed a picture of is very common, it’s an OLD Ford starter solenoid and available almost everywhere, the old Ford Solenoid has two wire studs as opposed to one.
Bet you paid for a Westerbeke part didn’t you?
https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/D...BoC8UUQAvD_BwE

The Murphy switches are almost certainly common too, take one to a parts house and they may have them, especially if they service Farms.
Old 13-07-2019, 09:03   #14

Again thanks for the thoughts. As an oilfield engineer for 40 years, much of it in the 3rd world, I know how to short out protective switches. It's a roll of the dice but sometimes needs must. Best to replace if possible.
Old 13-07-2019, 09:06   #15

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

I don't have anything much to add except that we spent last night on kenomac's boat (we got stuck in corfu because of weather, and he immediately offered us the assist) and happened to have a random hour long convo about his westerbeke... Don't know who is right but he knows that engine, and can vouch for Ken 1000% if he says he can get you a part. Also, if you're in corfu, say hi to him cause he's the best 🤗
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
westerbeke