Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2011, 17:31   #1

Boat: Compass 28
Wellsee MPPT Regulators

These read like a dream, spec- and price-wise, but I have heard elsewhere that they are not really MPPT's at all, but are just a plain vanilla voltage regulators.

Any Wellsee users here who can confirm or deny this?

cheers, lockie
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 22:57   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
I have not heard of them, but there certainly are a few regulators sold as MPPT that are not.
There are also many poor implementations of MPPT that are not very good.
If going for an MPPT regulator I would go for a good one like the Outback. If you want a cheap regulator go for one without MPPT.

The only bargains are some specialized regulators made by small firms for things like the solar cars. Some of these are very efficient (better than the expensive commercial products) and are cheap enough that you can have one controlling each panel .
On a boat MPPT on each panel is better.

I think the conventional approach of a single MPPT regulator for multiple panels produces very little advantage on a typical yacht.

A model called “Fat max” looked very promising in this regard, unfortunately it does available at the moment.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mppt