Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2018, 02:42   #1

Watering system on Golf Cart batteries

I’m replacing my Lifeline 4CT with FLA batteries. I would like to have some input.

As it looks it will be Trojan T-105Plus or US batteries 2200 XC2 as this is what is easily available. First I was considering Troja T-1275 but unfortunately not available at location.

Have not yet decided what to choose. As the batteries (10) will be located in a not so accessible place I would like to install a single point watering system.

Have not any own experience from watering system more than a friend that had problems with leaks in between the hose and connection to the valves. Was solved by using a wire tie at each hose connection.

I do not want a Trojan watering system as that would lock me in to them. I understand that the T-105 plus are a little bit different.

Have some questions:

Trojan or US Batteries?

Can a watering system be trusted so much that you do not open the lid to the batteries every single time you fill?

Any recommendations for watering system?

I do want a watering system that can be used on any Golf Cart battery.

I spend most of the time off grid and want to use a quite aggressive charging profile.

Most of the time it will be the alternators (270A) controlled by Balmar MC-612 that do the job.

Any suggestions for setup of the MC-612?

Will 14.9V be to aggressive?

In addition to the alternators there are 600W solar.
Oceansailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 13:05   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38
Re: Watering system on Golf Cart batteries

Trojan and bulk charge them at 14.8v

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 15:07   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Have remote watering system on two boats. They work great but need to insure that they are working properly before stowing the batteries away. Went with an expensive system for one boat that has individual caps connected with hose fitted in place so will fit any cell cap spacing. Discovered that the most remote cap had an issue. The auto shut off feature had a small plastic piece that hadn't been assembled properly preventing the cap from allowing water into the battery. It was an easy fix to spring the piece back in place so it worked properly. Unfortunately discovered the problem only after that cell had run dry and was ruined. Didn't think to do a simple manual test of all the caps before installing which would have caught the issue with that one cap.

The set on my other boat 3 cap plastic strips that are the ones that seem to be the only ones that show up when you do a google/Ebay/Amazon search. The system is relatively inexpensive and works fine. You do have to be careful installing the inter-connecting hose on the cap bars as the hose bibs are a bit fragile. I broke one off when I tried to remove a hose from one to reconfigure the system. They did supply extra hose bibs but getting the stub of the old one out so I could install another wasn't easy.

I've got 4 GC batteries with two of the batteries under a deck. Only way to fill them without the remote system is haul out two of the batteries and move the obstructed batteries into their place and fill, a major PITA. The remote system solves this problem. Best thing is it's so easy to add water that I take much better care of the battery liquid level with the remote fill system.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 05:36   #4
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Links please to known good systems
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 05:56   #5

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Links please to known good systems
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NY0RET8...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 05:59   #6

FWIW I have a set of 6 of these Duracell GC2’s and they are excellent. $93 each compared to $150 for Trojans.

https://m.samsclub.com/ip/duracell-g...lp_product_1_1
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 06:05   #7
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes, best value on the planet, made by Deka / East Penn.

Also at Batteries+

Flooded only, their AGM are meh
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 06:17   #8

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately East Penn is not available at location. One thing that is important to know when buying watering-system for Trojan is that Trojan plus requires another watering-system than for other GC batteries. Trojan do not have a watering system that fits on the plus series.

Flow-rite have system made for the Plus series. It is BG-U48V-7A. (One unit for one battery) This system do not work on standard GC batteries. Means you are looked in to Trojan Plus:-(

An alternative is to buy a system with individual valves for each cell and connect them with hoses. (more connections that can leak)
Old 23-06-2018, 09:00   #9

Ive used this for ten years with good results. Call them, very helpful!
FLOW-RITE CONTROLS (USA)
960 74th Street S.W.
Byron Center, MI 49315
(616) 583-1700
(616) 878-5151 (fax)
sales@flow-rite.com
Jim473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:55   #10

Before I went Lifeline AGM I had East Penn GC. Excellent batteries that lasted longer than the Lifeline. Unfortunately the battery box is oriented in the wrong way and occasionally I could find smaller amount of spill. As I was anal and always having the right level of water I do not think the plates where dry. But having acid in the battery box is not a good thing.
I hope that installing a watering system will prevent water from coming leaking out?
Old 08-07-2018, 08:07   #11

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

I have the Trojan watering system but found out too late that it does NOT work with Trojan T105 plus batteries. Go figure. It will work with the regular T105s as well as the LTH batteries I replaced my T105 plus' with.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:31   #12

I have East Penn GC batteries with the watering system, have not experienced leaks of any kind
Old 08-07-2018, 08:36   #13

Many East Penn batteries are labeled as other brands ie Duracell. Have to do a little research to see the specific manufacturer for each label
Old 08-07-2018, 08:45   #14

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

+ 1 on Duracel Dekka-EastPenn.

Anyone has experience with these rather than watering system?

Hydrocap
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water