Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2015, 10:41   #1

Boat: Sunbeam 44
Washing Machine on an inverter ?

Any folks run their 240v washing machine on an inverter ?
Just bought Daewoo M301WP mini machine for onboard.
Korean label says 1000W - 1500W power req - I think ......
I can run it off shore power or generator but looking at other options .....

Anybody do anything similar ?
Does it need a pure sine wave inverter ?
Will there be any larger peak load draw expected ?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
d4raffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:31   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Washing Machine on an inverter ?

We run our splinded washing machine off our inverter all the time and have been doing it now for close to 5yrs.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:02   #3

Boat: Sunbeam 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
We run our splinded washing machine off our inverter all the time and have been doing it now for close to 5yrs.

What spec inverter are you using ?

d4raffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:08   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I run my washing machine off the inverter, but I have a big Victron Quattro 5Kv system backed up by a large battery bank. The problem is not the washing part, but when it cycles to drying the energy consumption goes way up, I think it sits 50A (@24V) for a long time when drying. The energy use for washing is pretty moderate, except for those periods when the water gets heated in the machine.
Old 06-07-2015, 17:13   #5

Boat: Monk/McQueen 45' - 1961 Trawler

We have ran our small washer/dryer combo from an inverter for going on 6 years now. The current model is a Splendide 2100XC. It is rated at 1300w but is a 120v model - not 240v. Before that we had another Italian branded washer/dryer whose drive motor bearing failed - and parts costs did not justify trying to replace it.

They have been powered using two inverters: 1st a Prosine 2.0 that worked great until it just stopped working after a few years (not related to washer/dryer). Today we are using a Magnum MS2000/MS2012 inverter/charger.

We had NO issues with the Prosine, but many with the little Magnum. I was eventually able to create a workaround for the Magnum which is documented here (along with details of the problem):
mv.VikingStar: Summary and Conclusion: Compatibility Issue Between MS2000 inverter and Splendide 2100XC Washer/Dryer

FWIW: In researching this it seems problems with the 2000w Magnum inverters + combo washer/dryers are rather well know, just not talked about much. Stepping up the a larger one (like the MS2812 or larger) seems rock solid. And I understand many of the dedicated 2000w china inverters work without issue as well. Given the nature of current washer/dryers designs, I would look only at pure sinewave inverters IMHO. And to your question of peek currents, yes, there are some - as well as really challenging power-factor loads presented to the inverter (See link above). It depends on the design point of the inverter to be able to handle them.

Tried to google the Daewoo machine, what I could see it looks very interesting! Given its 240v need (and even some on ebay looking for: 240v/60hz), you might be looking at a dedicated inverter to power it?
thomasow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 17:25   #6

Boat: 2012 Leopard 44

We run our Splendide off our 2500w inverter as well but only for wash cycle - never the dryer.
BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 19:14   #7

Boat: Manta 42

We run our Splendide on a 2000W Mastervolt inverter, again only wash cycle.

Marty Kelly
S/V True Colors
Currently Rodney Bay, St Lucia

kellymj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 00:08   #8

how many AH do you avg with a wash? how long do those things run. an hour? 1500w for an hour is crazy for an inverter...
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 00:55   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
how many AH do you avg with a wash? how long do those things run. an hour? 1500w for an hour is crazy for an inverter...
I have a Victron Multiplus charger/inverter. It produces nominally 3000 watts, but actually 3000VA, which reading the fine print is 2500 watts on a good day, less if very hot.

I run my Eumenia Sparmeister off it all the time, but of course with the engine running, while motoring in calm weather. Wash and dry cycles take maybe 100 minutes together. School bus alternator produces max about 2.8kW, maybe 1.5 -- 2 at low engine speeds.

According to the manual, washing (at 40C) takes 0.44kW/h, drying a load takes 1.6kW/h or so. The machine needs 2200 watts max.

Works great; no problems.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:06   #10
cruiser

Our Spendide 6200 runs off the inverter without a problem. However, it cannot run the dryer cycle which isn't a problem for us. Using the dryer cycle will trip the breaker.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:25   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

We run our Bosch automatic washing machine (8kg load, I think) from our Victron invertor - we only use a 'cool' wash so no heater element to kick in. Very economical on the batteries as well. The machine works great and the spin cycle is super efficient. The only down side is the weight of the washing machine which is strapped in place.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:27   #12

Boat: Outbound 46

The 1500w spec applies only to the dry cycle. Much less to wash, with the highest draws during the relatively brief spin cycles. We have run our Splendide off our 2kw inverter with zero problems for years. We average about 20 amp-hours (at 12v) per load. About the same 20 amp-hours/load to run our Spectra watermaker to provide the water. So, a total of about 40 amp-hours/load. We use our washer often in the Caribbean, but still go into a laundromat when we need to wash bed linens or multiple beach towels.

David
s/v Callisto
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:33   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
We run our Bosch automatic washing machine (8kg load, I think) from our Victron invertor - we only use a 'cool' wash so no heater element to kick in. Very economical on the batteries as well. The machine works great and the spin cycle is super efficient. The only down side is the weight of the washing machine which is strapped in place.
That's a good point -- it's worthwhile pointing out that by far the greatest part of the power consumption during a wash cycle is heating the water. If you wash in cold water, far less power is consumed.

If you really wanted to be clever, you would plumb in hot water from the calorifier with a thermostatic mixing valve, and use hot water produced by engine waste heat, greatly increasing efficiency of the process.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:40   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMCantor View Post
The 1500w spec applies only to the dry cycle. Much less to wash, with the highest draws during the relatively brief spin cycles. We have run our Splendide off our 2kw inverter with zero problems for years. We average about 20 amp-hours (at 12v) per load. About the same 20 amp-hours/load to run our Spectra watermaker to provide the water. So, a total of about 40 amp-hours/load. We use our washer often in the Caribbean, but still go into a laundromat when we need to wash bed linens or multiple beach towels.

David
s/v Callisto
Hi David, which Spectra model do you use? We have a Catalina 340z (44" not the compact version).
Old 07-07-2015, 07:47   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
That's a good point -- it's worthwhile pointing out that by far the greatest part of the power consumption during a wash cycle is heating the water. If you wash in cold water, far less power is consumed.

If you really wanted to be clever, you would plumb in hot water from the calorifier with a thermostatic mixing valve, and use hot water produced by engine waste heat, greatly increasing efficiency of the process.
Hi Dockhead. Yup, you are right but we so rarely run our engines we did not deem this worthwhile. We also thought our Bosch washing machine would pack up and then we would replace it with a top loading auto-machine whereby we could manually add hot water. However, the Bosch just goes and on. If we ever need hot water to the wash machine then we might fit an instant gas fired hot water heater. There are several that are supposed to be acceptable for safe controlled boat use. Alternatively we could add warm water via the soap dispenser. However, we use cold water wash soap (Omo) and our washing comes out nice and clean and pretty dry.

Tags
inverter, washing