Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-07-2015, 19:42   #31

Boat: Irwin 30
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee
Re: Warm white led lighting

Hi all, I have been making LED lights using the interior dome LED's for cars. They have 48 small LED's and are rather bright. I have different combos of 2, 3 and 4 of these on a piece of epoxied wood with a stainless steel wrap around cover...Looks great and have a dimmer so I can make them to the brightness I want.Total cost per light is around $15 bucks and a few hours of work (fun)...

Old 27-07-2015, 19:51   #32

Boat: Sceptre 41

I've been avoiding LED lights for a few years now, mainly because of the color. Now they're finally getting the color right (2700K-3000K) rather than the blue tinged 6000K ones. So, now I'm in the middle of relamping. Also fun ...

Old 27-07-2015, 20:13   #33

Boat: sunk by irma

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatormate View Post
Hi there, where does one get the 'phosphorescent coating'? I have a large quantity of cold white bulbs that I really don't like.
I sort of misspoke when I referred to it as a phosphorescent "coating" when I should have said a phosphorescent "component".

LED's consist of a stack of gem chips which vibrate and emit light when an electrical current is passed through them.

Like a lot of electrical items these stacks of gem chips are "potted" with epoxy into which the phosphorescent component is incorporated.

Where to get it I haven't a clue. I have never heard any correcting color on blue shifted LED's after the fact so I'm no help there.

FWIW it is the epoxy "potting" that is at fault when LED's fail due to excessive heat as epoxy is prone to doing.
Old 27-07-2015, 20:14   #34

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfynic View Post
Hi Cruisers!

Just in the process of replacing all my interior lighting with led lights but am having trouble finding warm white surface mounted led lights.. that look great as well!

Has anyone out there had any luck or got some stories?

Cheers!
nic
Marine beam - fixtures or bulbs. Replaced all cabin & nav lights & deck lights.
Marine LED Bulbs for your boat

IMTRA also has good replacement bulbs.

3500 Kelvin or so is what you want for cabin lights. 4000 K and up is a bit harsh. Make sure the bulbs are PWM current regulated. The two suppliers I listed use PWM. Read Marine Beam's tech bulletins & LEDs for dummies.

Order a few replacement spares. They don't like lightning. Its usually the rectifying diodes that blow. - repairable by tiny people.
Old 27-07-2015, 20:16   #35

I bought 40 12v 2 pin leds from eBay for under $1 each. All Worked like a champ. You can get warm white or cool white. Each fixture of mine has 2 lamps, so low been is warm white, and the higher output (both lamps on) brings on the cool white. Had to wait 21 days for delivery from China, but that's ok. No rf issues - which for 12v led's I think is a crock put out by sellers of $10 leds. It's been 3 months of living aboard, cruising from Florida to the Chesapeake, on anchor most of the time, and all is aok.
Old 27-07-2015, 20:31   #36

Boat: Irwin 30
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee

SeaSon, are they the MR16 bulbs? I have had great success making some nice lights with them...Sounds like you did too! Happy sailing...
Old 27-07-2015, 21:11   #37

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

As posted, Marine Beam sells good stuff.

I've also had good success from SuperBriteLEDs.com. Huge inventory, excellent web site, with full specs on each bulb including color values. They sell everything from unregulated bulbs to self regulated bulbs so you must know what you are buying.
Old 27-07-2015, 23:55   #38

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfynic View Post
Hi Cruisers!

Just in the process of replacing all my interior lighting with led lights but am having trouble finding warm white surface mounted led lights.. that look great as well!

Has anyone out there had any luck or got some stories?

Cheers!
nic
We replaced every light on our liberty 458 with lunasea leds. Great quality, no rf noise and available in wattages and temps from 1w to 3w, warm white and cool white.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 28-07-2015, 05:32   #39

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

I replaced all of my interior incandescent, bayonet-style bulbs with LEDs from Marine Beam, keeping the original fixture (circa 1978). Replaced the 2 overhead bulbs with red/white bulbs to retain nite vision. All bulbs just plug in and done. Dave
Old 28-07-2015, 05:49   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

For us old Guy's who has had Presbyopia kick in, red light makes things really difficult to focus on, a green light is better, green causes much less eye strain and is reportedly why hospital gowns etc are green?
The red thing is because red is to one side of the visible light spectrum.
I believe just turning down the illumination of a white light protects night vision as well as a red light.
Old 28-07-2015, 15:38   #41

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

If you select on price alone, you will get what you pay for. I encourage you to read the Tech help on the Marine Beam site:

LED Technical Information Page

There are 7 tech bulletins linked on this page that will answer a lot of questions and teach you what you need to understand to make the best choices.

Note that lights listed for 12 volts only are probably not using PWM current regulation. These are probably using series resistors like automotive and other low end LEDs. PWM bulbs will have a wide range of voltage tolerance such as 9 to 33 volts. The PWM circuit switches on/off at high frequency. It regulates the on time to off ratio in order to get the proper forward current. This makes the bulb tolerant to wide variations in your boat during discharge of maximum charging while maintaining the correct constant current. If the switching frequency is above your radio frequency and other measures are taken in the circuit you will not have RF interference. PWM current control is the most efficient and will waste the least of your battery power.
Old 28-07-2015, 16:27   #42

Mrlee, one was mr16, most were g4 - I think. 2 pins, that slipped right in to my old fixtures. The leds were encapsulated in silicone or similar rubbery 'lens'. Very happy, very low cost, virtually zero power consumption.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 28-07-2015, 16:31   #43

Boat: 37' aluminum pilothouse "Elements"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
If you select on price alone, you will get what you pay for. I encourage you to read the Tech help on the Marine Beam site:

LED Technical Information Page

There are 7 tech bulletins linked on this page that will answer a lot of questions and teach you what you need to understand to make the best choices.

Note that lights listed for 12 volts only are probably not using PWM current regulation. These are probably using series resistors like automotive and other low end LEDs. PWM bulbs will have a wide range of voltage tolerance such as 9 to 33 volts. The PWM circuit switches on/off at high frequency. It regulates the on time to off ratio in order to get the proper forward current. This makes the bulb tolerant to wide variations in your boat during discharge of maximum charging while maintaining the correct constant current. If the switching frequency is above your radio frequency and other measures are taken in the circuit you will not have RF interference. PWM current control is the most efficient and will waste the least of your battery power.
Why not just put a buck converter/ constant current on the entire lighting circuit instead of at each light? Seems you can then use low cost bulbs at each fixture and keep them happy with 12v.

Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/RioRand-LM2596...dp/B00HVDHO2G?

Matt
Old 28-07-2015, 17:56   #44

So it sounds like pwm is the issue, and the cheap ones don't use pwm. If my fixture is at 9v, I've got bigger issues than the led not lighting. Likewise for anything over 14.5v. What am I missing?

Works great for under a buck a bulb, and apparently no rf concern.

Old 28-07-2015, 18:27   #45

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSon View Post
Mrlee, one was mr16, most were g4 - I think. 2 pins, that slipped right in to my old fixtures. The leds were encapsulated in silicone or similar rubbery 'lens'. Very happy, very low cost, virtually zero power consumption.

Those are COB leds and the base contains a buck-boost converter (read switching power supply). They are fine and quite efficient, but be aware that many I tested were quite RF noisy. If they don't seem to affect your VHF range, then I wouldn't worry about them.

I have not seen a LED supplied in the last 2 years that contained a series resistor. Especially on any of the high power LEDS (1W+). The resistor would be rediculously large and waste a ton of power to heat.

Tags
lighting

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: