Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2018, 06:30   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
WAI/Transpo China Alternators

I ordered a new Leece Neville 8SC3133U alternator (100 amps * 24v and based on the same frame and parts as the 175 amps * 24v version so derated and overbuilt) to keep as a spare. I did it through the auto electric guy who is repairing my primary one instead of buying it on line because -- well, I like to give those guys this business wherever possible.

I paid £475 for it, which is nearly $700 -- not a cheap price -- and what does the barsteward do, but deliver to me a WAI/Transpo m5-396-25617-24v, which is a Chinese copy

Now I have to decide whether to give it back, or to keep it and demand a price adjustment.

Anyone have any experience with these? I believe they are direct copies, so the parts are interchangeable with the real thing. I also read somewhere that WAI components are considered to be high quality.

If the last thing is true, then I wouldn't mind such a thing as a spare. My old one should be good for another 17 years of service; it's only paranoia that makes me want to have a spare.

Retail price of the WAI/Transpo unit here is £270 plus VAT and I suppose I can find it for less somewhere.

Opinions? Any real experience?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 09:03   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: WAI/Transpo China Alternators

Not saying I know the Chinese unit is unacceptable, but if it were me I'd insist they deliver what I paid for.

I personally only carry spares that I'd be happy to fit permanently.

In fact for a critical and complex assembly, I'd install and break in the new one, and keep the known-good older one as spare.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 09:23   #3

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

So you give the guy labor work (repair alternator) and commission (ordering a new one) -- and he substitutes a Chinese knock off that is worth half as much.

If the distributor made a mistake, that's one thing, otherwise the guy is dishonest, and I would question the quality of his work. How do you know he didn't do a half-ass job rebuilding the alternator, or use used or substandard parts, or cut other corners?

Sorry to hear about it. Good luck.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 12:37   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
So you give the guy labor work (repair alternator) and commission (ordering a new one) -- and he substitutes a Chinese knock off that is worth half as much.

If the distributor made a mistake, that's one thing, otherwise the guy is dishonest, and I would question the quality of his work. How do you know he didn't do a half-ass job rebuilding the alternator, or use used or substandard parts, or cut other corners?

Sorry to hear about it. Good luck.
Indeed.

It's rather discouraging to be treated that way, and it does not instill confidence in the rebuilding work.

I decided to simply take the alternator back and take my money back, and start over again.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 13:05   #5

Boat: Boatless at the moment

You surprise me, lawyer, being f#@ked and consider to accept it.

Tags
alternator, China