Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: I set my wind generator to:
Near the float charge voltage of my batteries. 0 0%
Near the absorption charge voltage of my batteries. 2 50.00%
Near the bulk charge voltage for my batteries. 1 25.00%
Other... 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2015, 13:02   #1

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Voltage to Set Wind Generator

In general, about what voltage do you set your wind generator to turn off?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 13:25   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Voltage to Set Wind Generator

One answer doesn't work and can be misleading because it matters what type of batteries you have. For example on Lead Acid, I would use 14.8v. But on my LiFePO4 batteries I set the cut off on my KISS/Controller set-up at 13.8v.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 13:31   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
One answer doesn't work and can be misleading because it matters what type of batteries you have. For example on Lead Acid, I would use 14.8v. But on my LiFePO4 batteries I set the cut off on my KISS/Controller set-up at 13.8v.
For this pole let assume either AGM or Flooded batteries.

So, you set yours to absorption then?
Old 20-02-2015, 13:47   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

LiFePO4 batteries don't do the different stages of charge, so I just set the 13.8v....but lets not confuze that because it's like comparing apples to oranges with respect to charging.

But lets back up a bit.
What would make the wind generator cut out set-point any different from your solar, battery charger, or alternator? I would recommend setting up your wind generator controller with the same mindset you would for your other charging devices and inline with the battery manufactures recommendation.

For my T-105's I used 14.8v as the wind gen cut out....and in reality how much did that happen? Only when I was on a long motor with the alternator running otherwise my batteries are almost always begging for power. In a way, it's the mindset of the KISS wind generator that just comes as standard with a manual on/off switch without charge control. Sure you can add a controller, and as the owner of KISS, well I added one to be able to gain the real life experience with it, but the control aspect usually just "sits there" mocking me for the money I spent on it...even at my costs its still money and I'm still cheap!...ha ha ha
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 14:04   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
LiFePO4 batteries don't do the different stages of charge, so I just set the 13.8v....but lets not confuze that because it's like comparing apples to oranges with respect to charging.

But lets back up a bit.
What would make the wind generator cut out set-point any different from your solar, battery charger, or alternator? I would recommend setting up your wind generator controller with the same mindset you would for your other charging devices and inline with the battery manufactures recommendation.

For my T-105's I used 14.8v as the wind gen cut out....and in reality how much did that happen? Only when I was on a long motor with the alternator running otherwise my batteries are almost always begging for power. In a way, it's the mindset of the KISS wind generator that just comes as standard with a manual on/off switch without charge control. Sure you can add a controller, and as the owner of KISS, well I added one to be able to gain the real life experience with it, but the control aspect usually just "sits there" mocking me for the money I spent on it...even at my costs its still money and I'm still cheap!...ha ha ha
My wind generator controller is a PWM with one set point. Its not a three stage controller. Its on until the voltage exceeds x and then its off.

I get to 100% charge (14.8) on my batteries almost every day - this morning I was there by 11 AM but somedays its not until 4. Only on overcast days do I ever NOT reach 100% charge. So, at least 3 to 5 times a week I get there just on solar and wind. We sat at anchor last year for 6 months over hurricane season and only started the genny maybe twice to charge.
Old 21-02-2015, 06:01   #6

Northerli

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Northernlights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 06:52   #7
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

I go for absorption.

What's bulk charge voltage anyway? Isn't that constant current? Or as much current as there is available before it reached absorption voltage?
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, wind, wind generator