Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2019, 04:56   #16

Boat: dutch barge. 61ft
Re: Victron Venus OS, LiFePO4 and "life" onboard

integrating a GPS is ...just plugging in the USB GPS unit. And I have my Venus connected to a hub with a Cable, which is 100% reliable versus a wireless connection.

Now the Venus already has 5 digital inputs

I have had it on a raspberry, I just don't want to deal with extra issues, the cost is about the same, once you add the extra raspberry 'hats' and time needed to get it all working
dutch-barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 07:09   #17

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl.NZ View Post
VenusOS on a Rasp Pi is superior IMHO because you can integrate a wireless gateway and GPS so many extra ways without buying the Victron gateway. (Extra hardware again on top of the GX).
hmm, could you clarify what 'extra ways' you could do on a PI that one could not do on a Venus GX? They are after all very similar hardware underneath.

For example I connect to my gateway just fine wireless & wired with no extra hardware, and can plug in a generic GPS to my Venus GX - no Victron gateway required.
TheoWjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 08:07   #18

Boat: dutch barge. 61ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoWjr View Post
hmm, could you clarify what 'extra ways' you could do on a PI that one could not do on a Venus GX? They are after all very similar hardware underneath.

For example I connect to my gateway just fine wireless & wired with no extra hardware, and can plug in a generic GPS to my Venus GX - no Victron gateway required.
I am confused now...you mention "extra ways" yet these options, GPS, wireless & wired connections" are standard on the Venus. Not sure what Victron gateway you are talking about.
The Venus also has 5 digital inputs, 2 relays, 3 tank sensor inputs, etc.
dutch-barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2019, 13:17   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Been a while since I was in this thread.... New job, rip out ice box and life in general.

At the moment I've left the Color Control on the boat and hooked it up to VRM. The boat is in a slip and I can log into VRM and get find out if I still have power. Plus I can configure the multiplus and such for some other testing I was doing.

I keep thinking that aI will get the Venus GX (and skip a Raspberry Pi) if for no other reason that the ability to hook a temp sensor to it and get the boats temp. Perhaps soon.

The boats internal network uses a Mikrotik Router. I've added a Alix.3 board running Router OS in station mode to hook up to our marinas WiFi network and present that to the router board. The Color Control GX sits on the backbone and all is well.

Of course I could change the router board to station mode for the wan interface but by using a second (Alix.3 based) router I am able to keep the internal network backbone "static" and just change WAN connections to get internet access on the boat. Wifi, cell or what have you.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 16:52   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

I went ahead and bought the Venus GX which should arrive Wednesday (11/27). I'll have to play with it on the bench for a while then get it into the boat along with the 2 temp sensors that I have for it.

Then it is off to the classified section and later ebay.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lifepo4