Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2015, 11:35   #1

Victron Multiplus problem

I've recently installed a Victron Multiplus 12/3000/120-50 unit. Had the unit up and running beautifully after installation, connected the Victron MK2 USB interface and loaded battery charge profile - all ok.

Then I switched everything off, left the boat for 3 weeks and on returning the unit it wont charge the battery.

The LEDs as follows

Mains - off
Bulk - flashing
absorbtion - on
float - on
inverter on - flashing
overload - on
low batt - off
temperature - off

Any hep or advise appreciated. The service desk in holland is closed for the weekend and this problem has cost me some boat time!

Thanks,
Mike
svfinnishline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 14:37   #2

Re: Victron Multiplus problem

from the install manual:

Bulk flashes
Absorption LED on = 17
Float LED in = 11

= error code 28? Its not listed in the installation manual. Anyone else know what this code means?

Thanks,
Michael
Old 06-03-2015, 14:45   #3

OK I have downloaded the 'Victron Toolkit' app and the error code is defined as a 'powerpack failure'.

It occurs the moment the device is turned on: 'contact Victron service in that case' is the only info on the app.

Does anyone know what 'powerpack failure' means?
Old 06-03-2015, 14:50   #4

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfinnishline View Post
I've recently installed a Victron Multiplus 12/3000/120-50 unit. Had the unit up and running beautifully after installation, connected the Victron MK2 USB interface and loaded battery charge profile - all ok.

Then I switched everything off, left the boat for 3 weeks and on returning the unit it wont charge the battery.

The LEDs as follows

Mains - off
Bulk - flashing
absorbtion - on
float - on
inverter on - flashing
overload - on
low batt - off
temperature - off

Any hep or advise appreciated. The service desk in holland is closed for the weekend and this problem has cost me some boat time!

Thanks,
Mike
Is the flashing of the “inverter” LED in sync or in opposition to the the flashing of the “Bulk” LED?
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 14:58   #5

Quote:
OK I have downloaded the 'Victron Toolkit' app and the error code is defined as a 'powerpack failure'.

It occurs the moment the device is turned on: 'contact Victron service in that case' is the only info on the app.

Does anyone know what 'powerpack failure' means?
Those units have a high "infant mortality" rate. I suspect your unit is toast. The Multiplus "overload" light gives me nightmares!

You do not say where you are.

In my experience Victron USA will be bery good at repairing/replacing the unit under warranty, regardless of place of purchase, if you ship it there and provide a US address for them to ship back. Outside the US and Europe you may end up pushed to deal with a dealer who will try to milk you. I have been there!
Old 06-03-2015, 15:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
Is the flashing of the “inverter” LED in sync or in opposition to the the flashing of the “Bulk” LED?
Yes the inverter LED and Bulk LED are flashing in opposition. As per the Victron toolkit app - powerpack failure. I hope this does not mean its 'toast', but welcome anyone with experience of this error message. This would be real infant mortality, as it only ran for about 3 hours before I left the boat, switched everything off and came back 3 weeks later.
Old 06-03-2015, 15:16   #7

Quote:
Yes the inverter LED and Bulk LED are flashing in opposition. As per the Victron toolkit app - powerpack failure. I hope this does not mean its 'toast', but welcome anyone with experience of this error message. This would be real infant mortality, as it only ran for about 3 hours before I left the boat, switched everything off and came back 3 weeks later.
Cut your time losses and send it back. Take this as learning that you need to have a backup to these modern inverter-chargers. Mastervolt is not much different. You are lucky that this did not happen at sea.

I have sailed many thousands of miles on new boats with these units. In my experience the "overload" lights will light up without any overload when there is a problem in the unit itself, which is not infrequent when they are new. It will not get better, the only thing that will change is that you will get frustrated and the warranty will expire.

There are things you can do for the next unit:
  1. Make sure that your cables are of the right (huge) gauge as per the manual and measure the temperature at the terminals. Just a little bit of resistance in a connection (or a problem with the fan) can make the electronics heat up a lot and that kills the electronics.
  2. Make sure the unit is installed in a space that is well ventilated. The Multiplus does not derate its output as much as Mastervolt units when it gets hot, but that makes it more sensible to heat. Get a multimeter with temperature probe and attach the probe (wrapped in insulating tape) to the hotest part of the board; you will be surprised by the result.
Old 06-03-2015, 15:24   #8

Quote:
from the install manual:

Bulk flashes
Absorption LED on = 17
Float LED in = 11

= error code 28? Its not listed in the installation manual. Anyone else know what this code means?

Thanks,
Michael
You are not reading the matrix correctly. Absorption "on" means right column. Float "on" means bottom row. The cell at the intersection is 17 ("One of the devices has assumed ‘master’ status because the original master . Check the failing unit. Check the communication cables.")

If you do not have twin Multiplus units (I hope not; the mere memory of that gives me post-traumatic stress disorder!) then the unit has gone completely crazy, send it back!

If you do have twin units I wish you more luck that I had.
Old 06-03-2015, 15:29   #9

Quote:
Believe me, it is toast. Denial will not fix something that is broken. There is a reason why they call it "infant mortality". Send it back and get a new/repaired one. Don´t let a dealer get in between you and Victron. I learned this the hard way from good and bad experiences.

When a new unit goes bad there are cases in which you can let it cool, reset it and it will work for a while, but it will not fix itself and eventually will get worse... Please let me know how this ends up.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:35   #10

Update: I contacted Vicron Holland, they confirmed the unit has failed. I contacted the dealer (Energy Solutions UK) who I purchased the unit from. They are arranging to have the defective unit picked up via FedEx on Monday (next week) and trying to have a replacement unit delivered to me by Friday this week (when I am next at the boat) - so that I don't lose more time removing the defective unit and waiting for it to be repaired and returned.

So although disappointed that this failure has occurred, and with the additional loss of time I spent trying to diagnose the failure - I can't fault the customer service. I will update again once the replacement unit is installed and up and running.

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-03-2015, 11:49   #11

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Quote:

At least yours ran ,I took the loses on my Victron and ran to a Vanner inverter , it works fine, and I dropped it on its head.

I hope you have good luck with the new or repaired unit .

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:17   #12

Quote:
Update: I contacted Vicron Holland, they confirmed the unit has failed. I contacted the dealer (Energy Solutions UK) who I purchased the unit from. They are arranging to have the defective unit picked up via FedEx on Monday (next week) and trying to have a replacement unit delivered to me by Friday this week (when I am next at the boat) - so that I don't lose more time removing the defective unit and waiting for it to be repaired and returned.

So although disappointed that this failure has occurred, and with the additional loss of time I spent trying to diagnose the failure - I can't fault the customer service. I will update again once the replacement unit is installed and up and running.

Thanks for the help!
I am glad it worked out. Thanks for letting us know!
Old 10-12-2018, 04:50   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

So I've had the same failure on my Victron Multiplus 24/3000/70-50. Powerpack failure, which means total failure of the unit I think.

It's the SECOND failure of the same unit, and it's about 20 man-hours of work to remove or replace the unit in my particularly installation

Fortunately did not happen during my summer in the Arctic -- God help me. It happened while I was away from the boat; I came back to find the unit failed and the shore power breaker popped. Batteries fortunately still above 50%, so at least it didn't take my batteries to the grave with it.

Now what do I do? The Victron dealer in the UK gives superb service -- replaced the whole control board last time for free, although the warranty was over. Has indicated that they will fix THIS for free too, although the unit is 7 years old.

But I'm wondering whether I shouldn't buy a brand new one -- maybe they have gotten better/more reliable? And sell the old one after it's repaired?

Or switch to something else? I understand MasterVolt are just as bad in terms of reliability. Sterling don't make one in just the spec I need. It will be easier to drop in the very same unit -- it's a hella work anyway even without reconfiguring the cables and installation.

Anyone have any information about whether later model Multipluses have improved reliability?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:55   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Another approach to this would be to replace the single 24/3000/70 with two ganged smaller ones -- like the Compact model 24/1600/40 ones. That way if one fails, there's one left.

What makes me hesitate to do this is the huge hassle to reconfigure the installation, which is in a poorly accessible space. If I had a decent marine electrician here, preferably a midget with 6 foot long arms, I would gladly pay to have someone else do it.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote