Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2019, 12:03   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 36 and C&C 29 MkII
Re: Victron MPPTs -Software Update

From reading this thread I am left with the impression that some of you are saying you cannot update because you don't have wifi on the boat?

I have always downloaded any updates within the app on my phone at home using my home wifi. Then when I am on my boat ( which is located thousands of miles away ) I launch the app and it updates the controller firmware via bluetooth. It has done this for the last two updates. Wifi or internet on the boat not required.
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:30   #17

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez

Do most people here have just one Victron MPPT controller irrespective of how many panels you have?

Our boat has 3 genasun GV-10 contollers (one for each panel) which I think is old tech now. Might get more output just by upgrading the controller?

So could I go to just one Victron MPPT? Does each wire from the panel go to the Victron or do I need to re wire the panels in series?
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:40   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 36 and C&C 29 MkII

The Victron controller I have ( Smartsolar 100/30 ) has one PV input for a solar "array". So if you have multiple panels, like me, they are wired in series.
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:50   #19

Boat: Rafiki 37

I have the one Victron (100/30), wired in parallel to four panels. They are two sets of slightly different voltages, but pretty damn close. Seems to work just fine, although I think the optimal solution is one controller per panel.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:52   #20

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl.NZ View Post
Do most people here have just one Victron MPPT controller irrespective of how many panels you have?

Our boat has 3 genasun GV-10 contollers (one for each panel) which I think is old tech now. Might get more output just by upgrading the controller?

So could I go to just one Victron MPPT? Does each wire from the panel go to the Victron or do I need to re wire the panels in series?
To mitigate the effects of shading, I went with one controller per panel [3 total.]

There was no appreciable cost difference between 3 of the smaller controllers [75V/15A] and one of the larger equavilent sizes [e.g., 150V/35A] so it was also worth it to me for redundancy.

Cheers! Bill
Old 08-03-2019, 14:16   #21

Boat: Fantasia 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
That's a good question, I don't remember seeing the version number in the settings menu or on the main screen. Anyone on board at the moment who could take a look?

Pete

WOW!!!

That is a really great controller!!

It is inputting 17.032 watts from the panel -- while provide 18.694 watts to the battery!

Amazing!

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 14:41   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
WOW!!! That is a really great controller!!
It is inputting 17.032 watts from the panel -- while provide 18.694 watts to the battery! Amazing!
Be even better if it was doing something useful since its connected to a 150w solar panel Since the photo was taken in May it was probably raining outside.

The default absorption voltage was 14.4 but that has since been raised to 14.8v to suit the FLA batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl.NZ View Post
The only reason I have two is that it was easier to wire up the boat that way rather than run long wires all over the place.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 15:05   #23

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete O Static View Post
From reading this thread I am left with the impression that some of you are saying you cannot update because you don't have wifi on the boat?

I have always downloaded any updates within the app on my phone at home using my home wifi. Then when I am on my boat ( which is located thousands of miles away ) I launch the app and it updates the controller firmware via bluetooth. It has done this for the last two updates. Wifi or internet on the boat not required.
I was able to get the firmware update today without using my Verizon Jetpack which is like getting the internet through your phone but faster. I only pay for data when I'm sailing since it costs and I don't have a smart phone because my company only pays for a flip phone. (no need for two phones)

Our dock doesn't have the WiFi turned on yet, but the lady that runs the marina allowed me to use her office WiFi which I was just in range of with my laptop

Has anyone noticed any positives from the update like maybe the Victron Monitor Voltage more closely matches your meter reading voltage
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mppt, software