Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 06:39   #1

Boat: 45' Asphalt Cruiser
Victron Isolation Transformer Voltage Increase

Everyone is quite helpful here, so thanks.
Installed Victron 240-240v 32-amp isolation transformer connected to Victron Autotransformer that steps down to 2 120v output legs and common neutral (50-amp "boat")

Isolation transformer actually increases incoming voltage to 250-volts so that my LE Enterprises high/low voltage protection pcb and selnoid will not connect to internal lines when shorepower is very good. It will connect if shore is dipping due to other users.

The power protection circuit must measure between L1 and L2 to decided if high or low. Why does the isolation trasnformer increase voltage (although fortunate in low shore situation)?

I do not wish to work around the power protection circuit that is positioned boat-side of the two transformers. Any device that can help or a way to dial down output volatge of the isolation tranformer?

Thanks, Robert
Ultimarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:19   #2

Just to elaborate on the previous problem we had on connecting this, we had to disconnect the casing to "boat" ground wires on both transformers finally get zero volts on the neutral output wire. Now that done, we hit the increased voltag on the isolation transformer output, causing an increase across the two hot legs on the second trasformers L1 and L2 legs. The power protection circuit comes next, beforethe ATS, and it will not let power through - unless incoming shore is less than 240 or so.
Old 12-07-2010, 15:24   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
I really think you should be talking to Victron about this.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 15:50   #4

Boat: Camano Troll
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I really think you should be talking to Victron about this.
I agree.
Old 12-07-2010, 16:36   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Robert, I have a Victron 7000 isolation transformer, but it is not like your step type so no first hand experience.

Victron gives great technical support so I would offer the same advice….good luck
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:42   #6

I spoke to Victron Netherlands and a great Victron independent consultant, also in the Netherlands. This is the way the come! There only advice is that they make a more expensive unit that can be software configured.

I heard the same thing before purchasing the Mastervolt, only to find out that the software did not configure what they said it would. You have to really have luck in these things, it seems.