Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 18:18   #1

Boat: 57ft Steel Expedition Vessel
Using a Generator's 12v Socket to Charge the House Bank

Recently we ran out of power, We looked at a bunch of portable generators and many are now coming a 2 pin 12v socket of either 5amps or 8.3amps.

My question is can you hook the two pin plug directly to the battery bank to charge them or do you need some some of charge controller in between?

Regards
Damien
Dame.n.Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 18:24   #2

Boat: Haida 26
Re: Using a genarators 12v socket to charge the house bank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dame.n.Jess View Post
Recently we ran out of power, We looked at a bunch of portable generators and many are now coming a 2 pin 12v socket of either 5amps or 8.3amps.

My question is can you hook the two pin plug directly to the battery bank to charge them or do you need some some of charge controller in between?

Regards
Damien
I have a Honda 1000w and yes you can connect directly to the battery. I bought the assy. cable from Honda, think it was like $13.99. I ran my onboard charger though, more amps.. Michael
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 18:50   #3

Boat: 57ft Steel Expedition Vessel
Great thanks for that. We ran our charger via the 240v and we were only getting between 2-4amps, however the 12v socket puts out 8.3amp.
Dame.n.Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 19:56   #4

Perhaps I'm missing something, but a 12V outlet on a generator will NOT charge your batteries. 12V batteries need over 14V to start the bulk phase, with rising amperage, and maintain the 14+ V with dropping amperage during absorption, then move to float at 13.5V or so.

Some generators have 12V outlets, but they're used for getting automobiles jump started, and are quite useless for charging boat house banks.

That's why the AC output is there on generators: one connects it to your battery charger to charge banks.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks.
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 20:02   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I think the 12V output on generators is actually high enough to charge a battery but never measured it. However the 12V output is typically just a few amps and you should do much better by connecting your boat's charger to the AC output.

If you were only getting 2-4 amps from your charger connected to the 240V AC output of the generator then something was wrong.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 20:10   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Perhaps I'm missing something, but a 12V outlet on a generator will NOT charge your batteries. 12V batteries need over 14V to start the bulk phase, with rising amperage, and maintain the 14+ V with dropping amperage during absorption, then move to float at 13.5V or so.

Some generators have 12V outlets, but they're used for getting automobiles jump started, and are quite useless for charging boat house banks.

That's why the AC output is there on generators: one connects it to your battery charger to charge banks.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks.
Your wrong, but not really, charge on my Honda 14.7V @ 6 amps. It'll take forever to really charge anything bigger than a lawn mower batt.. But better than nothing when all else fails. Michael
Old 04-03-2012, 21:19   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyjean View Post
Your wrong, but not really, charge on my Honda 14.7V @ 6 amps. It'll take forever to really charge anything bigger than a lawn mower batt.. But better than nothing when all else fails. Michael
I thought the Honda DC output would be enough to charge, but like you say, just better than nothing when all else fails.

Not sure about the 50Hz 240V version but the US version, 60Hz 110V Honda 2000 will run a 40-50 amp charger easily and up to 75 amp charger depending. See this thread
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ger-16312.html

Again, if you only got 4-5 amps connecting your charger to the generator AC output then something is not right.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 21:28   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

I have a Yamaha 1000 and it charges on the 12V outlet but very slowly. So I just use the boats charger on the 110Vac outlet, and it charges just as if it were shore power.
Actually I made up a pigtail to plug right into the 30amp waterproof inlet on the boat.
Old 04-03-2012, 21:30   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I thought the Honda DC output would be enough to charge, but like you say, just better than nothing when all else fails.

Not sure about the 50Hz 240V version but the US version, 60Hz 110V Honda 2000 will run a 40-50 amp charger easily and up to 75 amp charger depending. See this thread
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ger-16312.html

Again, if you only got 4-5 amps connecting your charger to the generator AC output then something is not right.
I run a 20 amp on-board charger w/ mine, does a good job and the battery's stay up. I wish I could use some solar panels, but not enough room on this little boat. I've concidered a wind generator, but it may just cause to much clutter. We make a good cup of drip coffee while charging, I try to get all the value from the gas I have to buy. It's a tough life this cruising,ha ha. Michael