Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 19:18   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bundaberg, Australia
Boat: 57ft Steel Expedition Vessel
Posts: 173
Using a Generator's 12v Socket to Charge the House Bank

Recently we ran out of power, We looked at a bunch of portable generators and many are now coming a 2 pin 12v socket of either 5amps or 8.3amps.

My question is can you hook the two pin plug directly to the battery bank to charge them or do you need some some of charge controller in between?

Regards
Damien
__________________

__________________
Dame.n.Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 19:24   #2
Registered User
 
rubyjean's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
Boat: Haida 26
Posts: 502
Images: 2
Re: Using a genarators 12v socket to charge the house bank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dame.n.Jess View Post
Recently we ran out of power, We looked at a bunch of portable generators and many are now coming a 2 pin 12v socket of either 5amps or 8.3amps.

My question is can you hook the two pin plug directly to the battery bank to charge them or do you need some some of charge controller in between?

Regards
Damien
I have a Honda 1000w and yes you can connect directly to the battery. I bought the assy. cable from Honda, think it was like $13.99. I ran my onboard charger though, more amps.. Michael
__________________

rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 19:50   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bundaberg, Australia
Boat: 57ft Steel Expedition Vessel
Posts: 173
Great thanks for that. We ran our charger via the 240v and we were only getting between 2-4amps, however the 12v socket puts out 8.3amp.
__________________
Dame.n.Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 20:56   #4
Registered User
 
Stu Jackson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cowichan Bay, BC (Maple Bay Marina)
Posts: 6,387
Re: Using a genarators 12v socket to charge the house bank

Perhaps I'm missing something, but a 12V outlet on a generator will NOT charge your batteries. 12V batteries need over 14V to start the bulk phase, with rising amperage, and maintain the 14+ V with dropping amperage during absorption, then move to float at 13.5V or so.

Some generators have 12V outlets, but they're used for getting automobiles jump started, and are quite useless for charging boat house banks.

That's why the AC output is there on generators: one connects it to your battery charger to charge banks.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks.
__________________
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 21:02   #5
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,379
Re: Using a genarators 12v socket to charge the house bank

I think the 12V output on generators is actually high enough to charge a battery but never measured it. However the 12V output is typically just a few amps and you should do much better by connecting your boat's charger to the AC output.

If you were only getting 2-4 amps from your charger connected to the 240V AC output of the generator then something was wrong.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 21:10   #6
Registered User
 
rubyjean's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
Boat: Haida 26
Posts: 502
Images: 2
Re: Using a genarators 12v socket to charge the house bank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Perhaps I'm missing something, but a 12V outlet on a generator will NOT charge your batteries. 12V batteries need over 14V to start the bulk phase, with rising amperage, and maintain the 14+ V with dropping amperage during absorption, then move to float at 13.5V or so.

Some generators have 12V outlets, but they're used for getting automobiles jump started, and are quite useless for charging boat house banks.

That's why the AC output is there on generators: one connects it to your battery charger to charge banks.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks.
Your wrong, but not really, charge on my Honda 14.7V @ 6 amps. It'll take forever to really charge anything bigger than a lawn mower batt.. But better than nothing when all else fails. Michael
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 22:19   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,379
Re: Using a genarators 12v socket to charge the house bank

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyjean View Post
Your wrong, but not really, charge on my Honda 14.7V @ 6 amps. It'll take forever to really charge anything bigger than a lawn mower batt.. But better than nothing when all else fails. Michael
I thought the Honda DC output would be enough to charge, but like you say, just better than nothing when all else fails.

Not sure about the 50Hz 240V version but the US version, 60Hz 110V Honda 2000 will run a 40-50 amp charger easily and up to 75 amp charger depending. See this thread
Honda EU2000 Largest Charger

Again, if you only got 4-5 amps connecting your charger to the generator AC output then something is not right.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 22:28   #8
Senior Cruiser
 
delmarrey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Now in Blaine, WA
Boat: Modified Choate 40
Posts: 10,702
Images: 122
Re: Using a genarators 12v socket to charge the house bank

I have a Yamaha 1000 and it charges on the 12V outlet but very slowly. So I just use the boats charger on the 110Vac outlet, and it charges just as if it were shore power.
Actually I made up a pigtail to plug right into the 30amp waterproof inlet on the boat.
__________________
Faithful are the Wounds of a Friend, but the Kisses of the Enemy are Deceitful! ........
A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves!

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 22:30   #9
Registered User
 
rubyjean's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
Boat: Haida 26
Posts: 502
Images: 2
Re: Using a genarators 12v socket to charge the house bank

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I thought the Honda DC output would be enough to charge, but like you say, just better than nothing when all else fails.

Not sure about the 50Hz 240V version but the US version, 60Hz 110V Honda 2000 will run a 40-50 amp charger easily and up to 75 amp charger depending. See this thread
Honda EU2000 Largest Charger

Again, if you only got 4-5 amps connecting your charger to the generator AC output then something is not right.
I run a 20 amp on-board charger w/ mine, does a good job and the battery's stay up. I wish I could use some solar panels, but not enough room on this little boat. I've concidered a wind generator, but it may just cause to much clutter. We make a good cup of drip coffee while charging, I try to get all the value from the gas I have to buy. It's a tough life this cruising,ha ha. Michael
__________________

rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Route Down the West Coast Svsilvergirl Navigation 36 20-04-2012 08:37
Looking to Replace All My Instruments - What Would You Do with a Clean Slate Deep6 Marine Electronics 31 04-04-2012 09:36
What Hat to Wear While Sailing ? Target9000 General Sailing Forum 81 06-03-2012 09:29
Using a Generator's 12v Socket to Charge the House Bank Dame.n.Jess Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 8 04-03-2012 22:30
Crew Available: Portugal / Spain to Caribbean June 2012 Sailingsoon1959 Crew Archives 2 04-03-2012 22:16



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:37.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.