Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 10:07   #16
Senior Cruiser
 
Blue Stocking's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: St. Georges, Bda
Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Posts: 4,114
Re: US wiring colour code question

I expect any day now, to read in a boating magazine, that electrocution is the foremost killer of marine technicians.
Why does this subject of wire color, and the inherent danger, continue to exist.
Ancor and Pacer, and others, make a wide range of colors, and stripe/colors for marine use.
I wired Bluestocking, AC and DC, with 4 and 24 circuits respectively.
Every DC feed is a specific color, varying 12 and 10 AWG for load where 2 similar color were utilized.
The AC circuits are labeled and color wired-tied for ID.
__________________

__________________
so many projects--so little time !!
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:09   #17
Senior Cruiser
 
delmarrey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Now in Blaine, WA
Boat: Modified Choate 40
Posts: 10,702
Images: 122
Re: US wiring colour code question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marner View Post
The ABYC (American Boat and Yacht Council) standards specify white as negative and black for positive for boat DC wiring.

Why they elected to use such colours is a mystery. Nearly all DC equipment comes with red (positive) black (negative) wiring. So the red equipment wire has to go to the black and the black equipment wire to the white.

All the wire I used when building our boat was black and white, but to avoid any confusion I wired it white positive and black negative.

Marner
___________________________
http://cruising-cape-breton.info
Just switch the wires on the battery and your good. Not!

What's fun is when the yellow wire comes in on a DC circuit.
__________________

__________________
Faithful are the Wounds of a Friend, but the Kisses of the Enemy are Deceitful! ........
A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves!

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:40   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney, Cape Breton Island, NS
Boat: Bruce Roberts 30'
Posts: 19
Re: US wiring colour code question

Gosh, Bill, you're right!

How I got that wrong, I don't know. I always figured I wired our boat wrong.
Now I can relax...

Thanks

Marner
_____________________________
__________________
Marner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:46   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chesapeake Region and Maine
Boat: 42' Bob Perry sloop
Posts: 4,038
Images: 4
Re: US wiring colour code question

Yeah, marine wiring can be confusing. Even if the boat were correctly wired to code when built, what some owners do afterwards borders on the criminal!

Marinco has a wonderful little 24pp guide to AC Boat Wiring, complete with diagrams and connectors and such. You can download the PDF on this page: Guides for Marinco Electrical Group Brands | Marinco

Bill
__________________
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:20   #20
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: US wiring colour code question

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
For 240v AC, domestic wiring, its green/yellow earth, blue/black neutral and red/brown live
The reason there is a choice is because the EU changed the colour a few times to make sure electricians are paying attention
415v AC 3 phase is different and I cant remember which 4 wire colours are used


With lower voltage DC its usual that red is live and black or blue is neutral and green/yellow is earth, but im not sure there is a hard and fast rule on this.
Anjou, for single phase
black AC neutral and red live are long gone in the UK, and the EU, they disappeared in the UK around the mid 70s.

for AC EU 3 phase, pre 2004 is was black,red,yellow,blue , its now as per current IEC 60446, blue, brown.black,grey for 3 phase , neutral, l1,l2,l3 respectively.
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:53   #21
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Posts: 7,330
Re: US wiring colour code question

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
For 240v AC, domestic wiring, its green/yellow earth, blue/black neutral and red/brown live
The reason there is a choice is because the EU changed the colour a few times to make sure electricians are paying attention
415v AC 3 phase is different and I cant remember which 4 wire colours are used


With lower voltage DC its usual that red is live and black or blue is neutral and green/yellow is earth, but im not sure there is a hard and fast rule on this.
Thanks Anjou, AC is pretty much the same in Oz 'cept we tend to speak of Active rather than Live.

I must strongly suggest to you what others have hinted at; that you refer to positive and negative and not live and neutral when referring to DC especially low voltage DC. This is the convention (universally?) for DC and makes life easy when considering DC circuits containing devices like batteries, diodes, transistors and so on.

Once again I learn something new on CF - that our US friends use black and white instead of red and black for +ve & -ve ; why why why ????

Yet we all use white in aircraft wiring (most of the time)!
__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:57   #22
Registered User
 
anjou's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Malvernshire, on the sunny side of the hill.
Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Posts: 1,905
Re: US wiring colour code question

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Anjou, for single phase
black AC neutral and red live are long gone in the UK, and the EU, they disappeared in the UK around the mid 70s.

for AC EU 3 phase, pre 2004 is was black,red,yellow,blue , its now as per current IEC 60446, blue, brown.black,grey for 3 phase , neutral, l1,l2,l3 respectively.

Bugger, showing my age again. Actually I still come across the old colours in a lot of places.
I dont this they were wired as per 16th edition never mind the 17th we have now
__________________
www.amy-artimis.blogspot.com
anjou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:59   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chesapeake Region and Maine
Boat: 42' Bob Perry sloop
Posts: 4,038
Images: 4
Re: US wiring colour code question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
......

Once again I learn something new on CF - that our US friends use black and white instead of red and black for +ve & -ve ; why why why ????

Yet we all use white in aircraft wiring (most of the time)!
Wotname...

NO NO NO. It is NOT conventional to use white for positive in DC circuits in the U.S. The standard code is:

RED - positive
BLACK or YELLOW - negative
GREEN or GREEN with YELLOW stripe - grounding or earth ground

White is reserved for AC circuits (neutral or grounded).

See post #15

Bill
__________________
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:02   #24
Registered User
 
anjou's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Malvernshire, on the sunny side of the hill.
Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Posts: 1,905
Re: US wiring colour code question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Thanks Anjou, AC is pretty much the same in Oz 'cept we tend to speak of Active rather than Live.

I must strongly suggest to you what others have hinted at; that you refer to positive and negative and not live and neutral when referring to DC especially low voltage DC. This is the convention (universally?) for DC and makes life easy when considering DC circuits containing devices like batteries, diodes, transistors and so on.

Once again I learn something new on CF - that our US friends use black and white instead of red and black for +ve & -ve ; why why why ????

Yet we all use white in aircraft wiring (most of the time)!

Wotname, - Whats in a name? That which we call a rose would smell as sweet by any other name.

Whats in a word? I know what I mean and whether its possitive or live, they do the same job as far as im concerned but I do get your point, words are just words, its the intent that has content.

From now on Im thinking of it as flow and return
__________________
www.amy-artimis.blogspot.com
anjou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:40   #25
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Posts: 7,330
Re: US wiring colour code question

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Wotname...

NO NO NO. It is NOT conventional to use white for positive in DC circuits in the U.S. The standard code is:

RED - positive
BLACK or YELLOW - negative
GREEN or GREEN with YELLOW stripe - grounding or earth ground

White is reserved for AC circuits (neutral or grounded).

See post #15

Bill
Thanks Bill, I feel sane again. I missed your #15 post, probably still in shock after reading post 14.

Off topic:-
Anyone know the historical reason why aircraft wiring is white, I have assumed that it is because it is easier to wire stamp (and read) black markings on a white background but really this is a personal assumption.
__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:55   #26
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Posts: 7,330
Re: US wiring colour code question

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Wotname, - Whats in a name? That which we call a rose would smell as sweet by any other name.

Whats in a word? I know what I mean and whether its possitive or live, they do the same job as far as im concerned but I do get your point, words are just words, its the intent that has content.

From now on Im thinking of it as flow and return
Now you are teasing me aren't you . Your engineering background would never let you live in world where the descriptive words of our trade can mean whatever we feel like!

So which is the flow terminal and which is the return terminal of say a polarized capacitor? Where would you put the cathode of a zenner diode (when used in the conventional sense), the flowive or the returnive side of the circuit?

BTW, you new avatar is great!
__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:06   #27
Registered User
 
anjou's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Malvernshire, on the sunny side of the hill.
Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Posts: 1,905
Re: US wiring colour code question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Now you are teasing me aren't you . Your engineering background would never let you live in world where the descriptive words of our trade can mean whatever we feel like!

So which is the flow terminal and which is the return terminal of say a polarized capacitor? Where would you put the cathode of a zenner diode (when used in the conventional sense), the flowive or the returnive side of the circuit?

BTW, you new avatar is great!

Awww, your talking dirty now, im not REALY into that kinky stuff, I just dabble in what needs doing to get the job done.

Flow is supply, return is the flip side. As Newton (another brilliant Englishman who invented gravity) said, what goes out, must come back.
He cooked that up with Boyles law which states that when a body is immersed in water, ......the phone rings.

The eyes have it.
__________________
www.amy-artimis.blogspot.com
anjou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:21   #28
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Posts: 7,330
Re: US wiring colour code question

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Awww, your talking dirty now, im not REALY into that kinky stuff, I just dabble in what needs doing to get the job done.

Flow is supply, return is the flip side. As Newton (another brilliant Englishman who invented gravity) said, what goes out, must come back.
He cooked that up with Boyles law which states that when a body is immersed in water, ......the phone rings.

The eyes have it.
OK, you win, just between us lets stick to live and neutral then; I am powerless with that stare.
__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:35   #29
Registered User
 
dandrews's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Shirley, MA
Boat: Bristol 34
Posts: 235
[QUOTE="Wotname"]

Once again I learn something new on CF - that our US friends use black and white instead of red and black for +ve & -ve ; why why why ????

Hmmmm, maybe because we had a warehouse full of it because the purchasing agent made a mistake??? ;-)
__________________
dandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:50   #30
Senior Cruiser
 
delmarrey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Now in Blaine, WA
Boat: Modified Choate 40
Posts: 10,702
Images: 122
Re: US Wiring Colour Code

[QUOTE=dandrews;901117]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname

Once again I learn something new on CF - that our US friends use black and white instead of red and black for +ve & -ve ; why why why ????

Hmmmm, maybe because we had a warehouse full of it because the purchasing agent made a mistake??? ;-)
From my understanding red is reserved for Positive Mains (particularly unfused) like on battery cables. White is for fused links, which are generic but the real color codes are here>>>> http://www.marinesurveysplus.com/boatwiring.aspx
__________________

__________________
Faithful are the Wounds of a Friend, but the Kisses of the Enemy are Deceitful! ........
A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves!

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
wiring

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
US Wiring Colour Code anjou Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 38 04-03-2012 12:41
Wiring VSM-422 Battery Monitor harborhobo Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 1 02-03-2012 23:07
Colour of Antifoul - Does it Matter ? Lagoon4us Construction, Maintenance & Refit 21 02-03-2012 21:02
Travelling Outside the US Tigerspud Liveaboard's Forum 2 02-03-2012 19:18
Question on Tipping in US Marinas LaVieSB Liveaboard's Forum 74 02-03-2012 06:20



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:12.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.