Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2018, 16:59   #1

US source for CALB CA180 LFP batteries?

I'm looking for recommendations for sources for CALB CA180 LFP cells in the US. I've checked with the resellers that CALB lists on their web site, and all want me to pay in advance for batteries that aren't in stock. I'm not comfortable doing that. I'd be happy to place an order, and perhaps make a deposit, then pay when the batteries are in stock and ready to ship. But that doesn't seem to be the typical purchase terms.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:32   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: US source for CALB CA180 LFP batteries?

The trustworthiness of the seller is much more important than the payment terms.

Lots of used units and factory seconds failed QA get exported, I'm sure you can get great payment terms on those.

Since delivery is such a large % of a sub-pallet order, maybe ask them to notify you when they have stock, first come first served, and you will arrange for pick-up?

Could you list links to what you consider the top few suppliers?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:54   #3

I purchased from electriccarpartscompany.com several years ago and that was a good experience. They usually maintain USA stock, but I see they're out of CA180 until "June 2018". I'd bet they're on the way and you could wait to pay until they get in.

https://www.electriccarpartscompany....fied-Batteries
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:40   #4
cruiser

Pretty sure he's just one guy right?

I saw a very negative account about him on another board, but the poster was a very uninformed noob, and likely was expecting more than her fair share of support hand holding.

I've heard good things about EV West?
Old 01-06-2018, 17:16   #5

Those are two who I have contacted, and others listed on CALB's USA web site. I have only done a cursory look at the various companies, but all appear to be tiny with minimal track record. It's a decent chunk of $$, so I'm alert to warning signs with such small outfits.

When they want payment in advance to bring in stock to then sell me, it's a yellow/red flag. To me it's some combination of them not being able to afford to carry stock and wanting me to fund their wholesale purchase, a company that doesn't have payment terms with their supplier, or a company that never actually does carry inventory. I knew I was venturing into home-brew territory, but so far it's a bit more bootleg that I expected. I've asked a couple of them to contact me when they have stock on hand and that I don't want to pay until they are ready to ship. It will be interesting to see who follows up....

BTW, does anyone know if these ship from China by air, or do they have to go ocean freight? I don't know if the regs have caught up with the different Li technologies, and LFP in particular.
Old 01-06-2018, 21:21   #6
cruiser

I'd be amazed if any routine shipping is by air even if it is allowed, would greatly add to the cost.

Of course you can order from a known-good Chinese supplier, but you still need to pay in advance, and warranty becomes worthless.

But many do, cut out the middleman and take your chances.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:58   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I'd be amazed if any routine shipping is by air even if it is allowed, would greatly add to the cost.

Of course you can order from a known-good Chinese supplier, but you still need to pay in advance, and warranty becomes worthless.

But many do, cut out the middleman and take your chances.

Any suggestions on "known good Chinese suppliers"? I would consider that, and I think little difference in risk versus what I'm presented with today. But I look at Alibaba and cringe....

And isn't all warranty going to be back through CALB anyway, so effectively none? "Ship it back to us" warranties for something like this I expect are useless with shipping costing nearly or as much as just buying another battery.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:42   #8
cruiser

Well shipping domestically is certainly less - for the customer - than back to China.

CALB itself may sell direct or specify a preferred Alibaba supplier.

The Australian caravanners forum - RVs use LFP much more commonly there than here - had some reco's recently you could google for, and perhaps their local suppliers might help for a cut since you're not a competitive threat.

One in Mannum SA is widely recognized as an authority, similar to Maine Sail here.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:48   #9
cruiser

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...China+supplier

Please post back a list of leads here
Old 03-06-2018, 11:36   #10

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

A word of caution if you are thinking of ordering from China.

Very recently, "Lithium Iron" batteries were reclassified and are now considered under the same HAZMAT rules as other lithium technologies. The rumour is that some manufacturers were shipping regular LIPO batteries as LiFePo4 to get around the HAZMAT issues. So the classification off all lithium batteries was changed to prevent this. This has massively increased the price and hassel to ship them from China.

Sigh.. because of this, I'm still waiting for my cells that I ordered 3 months ago. There was only 1 carrier willing to carry them from China to the Caribbean.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 16:56   #11
Zil

This guy specializes in electric vehicles but sometimes has good prices. EVTV Motor Verks Store:
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 19:12   #12

It's interesting, this availability question makes me wonder whether this tech is in any way suitable for a cruising boat. I love their electrical characteristics, but when you look at all the other considerations like reliability, access to service and repair, etc. they seem like a complete fail. Or maybe it just means there is a good opportunity for a real company to stock and distribute them in a professional way.
Old 03-06-2018, 19:51   #13
cruiser

This problem only exists for DIY types trying to save money, a tiny fraction of the market.

Just call a Victron shop and order a proper system with included BMS, installation and system integration expertise readily available.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:34   #14
Zil

Went through the Victron web site. Searching for a Victron Shop that supports Lithium was not that straight forward. They sell Victron electronics, but advertise other battery chemistries.
But then the OP asked about CALB 180 cells in specific.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:48   #15

That of course is the alternate route, and a friend is doing just that. But cost is order 3x more, and pushes it into a zone where I don't think it's worth it. But it will be an interesting exercise to see what the actual availability is for Victron batteries.

Keep in mind that this is a distance cruising vessel with no consistent home port, so reliability, repairability, access to replacement parts, and being able to work around problems until repairs/parts can be obtained is a critical requirement in a power system.

Tags
cal