Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2008, 07:52   #16

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Hi John,

Who's your alternator guy? I've been using Ararat Automotive on Midwest up by the Rigging Shop.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:58   #17

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Hey Rick

Charlie at Ararat! Thats the guy! I see you still use them so word of mouth is the key .

Regards John.
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:30   #18

I did a similar thing based on a Kubota 3 cyl. It's a great way to go. I had adjustable rpm though. (aircraft vernier adjustment) On mine I used one 150 amp alternator and a water maker pump. Nice setup, every time you charge you make water. The advantage of speed control is that you can find the sweet spot vibration wise. One issue with going over about 100-125Amps is you need double belts for sure. WHat about just one big alternator direct drive? My first custom made aluminum pulley eventually cracked apart from the vibration. Remember when sizing alternators... your batteries can only take so many amps for a little while anyway..... Those Ample power reg's are great units, far better than Balmar. Also, with the crank pulley larger than the alternator pulley, doesnt that increase your HP requirement?
Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:04   #19

Tough to find a single alternator that would run at 1800 RPM and still give me 220 amps. The ones I did find are only internally regulated and are found on firetrucks. So no way of making them multistage for charging.

In the end I think the alternator and the crank pulley are going to be the same size. These new altenators put out goobs of amps at just 1500 Rpm. My little Yanmar will run at 1800 rpm under load, so I think I may have to make the crank pulley the same size or a little smaller then the one on the alternator.

I will be using multi groove belts for the alternators, a serpentine type belt, one belt for each alternator on opposite sides of the crank pulley.

I have the alternators now so I will take pictures of the mount as I build it.

I also will be making water with this unit. I have a Cat 431 stainless pump that is going to be mounted on the top replacing the origanal alternator. I am biulding my own water maker as well , but that will be a new thread

Regards John.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:24   #20

Sounds sweeet! One thought, The little Kubota was a pretty vibration prone engine at some RPMs. I found that aluminum brackets didn't hold up too well. If you need to make brackets for pumps etc, consider steel instead.
Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:31   #21

I have had this little Yanmar running and it seems to be pretty good for vibration. It has great mounts on it , it is actually suspended on springs. I guess that's because it came off of a Kohler genset.

Yes I was going to use square steel tubing for the mounts and the frame for the mounts, is is actually quite a simple set up , I will start getting it together next week and post the pics of the process.

Regards John.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:33   #22

Get one of the regular push mowers and mount one of those Chrysler 160's with the pulley sticking down thru the deck. Replace the blade witha pulley and ad a battery as a buffer. You can easily store it. An hours charge takes little fuel. If you need to weld something while out, it will also function as an arc welder.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:13   #23

Now to get all this together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motor 001.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	395.0 KB
ID:	5748  
Old 02-11-2008, 16:17   #24

Boat: Hughes 38 Thalia
Good plan. We used to do the same thing at the tech service companies I worked at in the Caribbean. I understand the side load alternator belt issues, but have consistently ignored them and gotten away with it. Have a Yanmar 3gm 20 hp that has side load refer compressor, water maker pump and 2 delco 10 dn alternators. It looks like a belt farm but hasn't given trouble in 19 yrs. Like you said gotta make em work. Nice planning. George
George Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:06   #25

Glad to see I am not totally nuts and someone has done this before . I hope I get just as good service.

Regards John.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:27   #26

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon View Post
Glad to see I am not totally nuts and someone has done this before . I hope I get just as good service.

Regards John.
Just checking in to see how you're making out?
I do have more questions.
What model of Fullriver Batteries did you chose?
Where did you buy them from?
I also live in Canada, and am looking for someone here to sell me Fullriver's.

Let me know if you would.

Thanks,
Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote