Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2017, 16:29   #1

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544
TWO WIND GENERATORS

We have an Air Breeze wind generator on a 10' mast that works fairly well down in the Caribbean, but we are in need of additional power. The question is whether to go with another Air Breeze or to go solar. My concern as an old pilot is whether two wind generators might set up a harmonic beat "rum-rum-rum" like out of sync props on a twin engine plane. Due to our limited space on our 41" Beneteau, without a radar arch (additional expense), solar has its own issues? Anyone got any experience with this dilemma and a solution? I am all ears. George
gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 17:06   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: TWO WIND GENERATORS

Putting two 265 watt panels over your bimini is going to cost you less than adding another wind generator, will probably produce more power on average in your area, and diversify your power generation (no wind, sun is shining).
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 05:38   #3

Agree with Suijin. If there is any way to make it work, I would go with solar panels rather than adding a second wind generator.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 05:47   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Having twin wind generators mounted on stern poles or an arch used to be the most common way to passively generate electricity. But with advances in solar, it's not seen nearly so much anymore. Mostly due to the cost/watt of power produced. Though in certain areas it makes sense due to wind & cloud patterns.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 06:02   #5

I think it really depends, on how you can set up the solar panels. My guess is that you would be better off going solar. If it was me I wouldn't put two turbines on because of the noise, they WILL be out of phase at least for a while. I can't say I have done it on a boat but did a project in college where we set up 4 turbines on a roof top and all four were new. In the same wind they all moved at slightly variable speeds causing a kind of off beat noise that would annoy the life out of me on a sailboat. It may also upset/annoy your dock buddies. Solar panels are coming a long way, lasting longer and becoming more efficient. If you locate them where the sail doesn't block half of the panels you will likely get a bigger ROI from solar all year around than a turbine.
kmartind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 06:53   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Having twin wind generators mounted on stern poles or an arch used to be the most common way to passively generate electricity. But with advances in solar, it's not seen nearly so much anymore. Mostly due to the cost/watt of power produced. Though in certain areas it makes sense due to wind & cloud patterns.
Absolutely. Solar is nice, has no moving parts, etc. However, I suspect electricity consumption peaks in the evening: without making use of the evening breeze, one should carry a lot of batteries.
GTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, wind, wind generator