Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2013, 08:05   #16

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32
Re: Two-Prong 12-volt Sockets

I think you need a couple Cig lighter sockets as some chargers only come in that format. Also like the USB. But for most things I really like Powerlets They even have a watersports version. Any thing with a power cord with a cig lighter plug, cut the cig plug off and install a Powerlet plug. Works well for spot lights, and portable 12V pumps, etc.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 08:15   #17

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

+1 For the Powerlets. I've used them for years on motorcycles and they are tough and reliable. Less resistance than the cigar lighters at higher currents also.

My old Taiwanese built boat had some of the DC outlets that looked like AC also. I disconnected them.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 09:05   #18

Boat: Tayana 37

Never realized there were so many options...

Through our boat, there are about eight of the two-prong sockets. The faceplates are a different color than existing AC sockets, but since they are generally side by side we have sometimes sometimes stuck an AC plug into one. Of course, without effect.

I will probably replace a few with Canibul's solution, or maybe thinwater's, and see how they work and what happens in the marketplace.
foojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 22:08   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by foojin View Post

Through our boat, there are about eight of the two-prong sockets. The faceplates are a different color than existing AC sockets, but since they are generally side by side we have sometimes sometimes stuck an AC plug into one. Of course, without effect.
As you say plugging a 120 volt appliance into the 12 volt outlet is not an issue. But if you change 12 volt items from cigarette type plugs to the 2 prong to match the outlets and plug a 12 volt item into the 120 volt outlets it is a bit of a different story.....

I would change them. There should not be a way to plug one item into the wrong outlet.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote