Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2014, 10:59   #16

Re: Two Banks Connected at Negative Terminals

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA_sailing View Post
Thank you, Stu! I have seen (and bookmarked) this and other Main Sails musings that are very informative. The real world wiring just threw me off as most diagrams show negative leads from separate banks joining at a neg bus. After thinking about it, and with confirmation from the CF brain trust, I now understand that the neg terminal is acting as a neg bus.

You're very welcome, glad to help, and glad to see Glenn is using our links, too, very helpful to us who may not see all the questions as they come up, nice to share.

Yes, all bus bars do is let you make easier connections, since you want to minimize the number of wires on battery posts.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 11:48   #17

Boat: Catalina 30 Tall Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post
I don't know the age of your C30, but catalina definitely didn't put any busses at all in mine. The factory wiring was poor, then the siliconehead POs seemed to have no idea at all how to hook wires together. My "neg buss" at the panel was about 20 wires crimped, soldered, and taped together.

Needless to say when I rewired I put in bussbars - one for the negs up in the panel, and a large one under the chart table for the batteries. I have 3 batteries (one under the starboard settee) and it cleaned up the wiring quite a bit.
The wiring is actually pretty good with busses for the panel. She is a 1980. I was actually considering adding a thirds battery using the starboard settee. How did you install?
NOLA_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 12:05   #18

Boat: Catalina 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA_sailing View Post
The wiring is actually pretty good with busses for the panel. She is a 1980. I was actually considering adding a thirds battery using the starboard settee. How did you install?
I cut a piece of marine ply to the size of a battery box. Cut a couple notches on each side to run a tie-down strap through. Put a small "leg" support on the liner (port) side of the board.

Then I glassed it to the hull and liner. Put a strap through the notches and that holds the battery down. Drill a hole into the bottom of the chart table for the wiring.

The 3rd battery is a 12v group 24 that is my "backup" battery. The two under the chart table are 2 GC6's (Golf Cart) batteries in series. The GC batteries are wired to "1" on the battery switch, the other battery is "2". Standard procedure for me is to leave the switch on "1" all the time. For everything - starting, house loads, etc... Only if the main battery gets killed do I switch the other one in. (Never had to so far)

I've got a fridge and an autopilot - with a 160W solar panel the boat pretty much never runs out of power - as long as it's not too cloudy.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 14:39   #19

Boat: Catalina 30 Tall Rig

Quote:
I cut a piece of marine ply to the size of a battery box. Cut a couple notches on each side to run a tie-down strap through. Put a small "leg" support on the liner (port) side of the board.

Then I glassed it to the hull and liner. Put a strap through the notches and that holds the battery down. Drill a hole into the bottom of the chart table for the wiring.

The 3rd battery is a 12v group 24 that is my "backup" battery. The two under the chart table are 2 GC6's (Golf Cart) batteries in series. The GC batteries are wired to "1" on the battery switch, the other battery is "2". Standard procedure for me is to leave the switch on "1" all the time. For everything - starting, house loads, etc... Only if the main battery gets killed do I switch the other one in. (Never had to so far)

I've got a fridge and an autopilot - with a 160W solar panel the boat pretty much never runs out of power - as long as it's not too cloudy.
Great detail. Thanks!
NOLA_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 14:50   #20

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
I don't know the age of your C30, but catalina definitely didn't put any busses at all in mine. The factory wiring was poor, then the siliconehead POs seemed to have no idea at all how to hook wires together. My "neg buss" at the panel was about 20 wires crimped, soldered, and taped together.

Needless to say when I rewired I put in bussbars - one for the negs up in the panel, and a large one under the chart table for the batteries. I have 3 batteries (one under the starboard settee) and it cleaned up the wiring quite a bit.
I might guess that was the work of a previous owner not the MFG. 20 wires stuck together doesn't sound right.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote