Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 21:40   #1

Boat: Nantucket 33
Twin core sheath / jacket stripping advise pls.

Sorry if this has been covered but I've been searching all over and have not found it.

I've done a lot of DC wiring but always with single wires. I've now rewired my boat with twin core tinned wire. When I tried a few different techniques for stripping the outer sheath/jacket I usually use for stripping multi cored wire sheaths, I was less than impressed.

Normally I score the outside not too deep and bend until it srperates and then remove. However with this wire I find it does not seperate so easy unless I score very deep running a high risk of cutting into the inner wire sheaths. If I don't cut deep I have to bend too aggressively that I'm worried about the wire being fatigued by bending so hard and tight so I've not used this on the boat so far.
In some A/C multi core you can cut length wise down but the inner cores can move away from the blade. In this marine wire this is not an option without high risk of cutting the inner core.

For now I've been cutting lengthwise but more or less like I would gut a fish, cutting edge up and sliding it up between the cores until enough has been cut then peeling it back and cutting it off. It's a slow process and I'd like to think there's a better way.
I have a lot of runs to terminate and if there's a faster way it will save considerable time.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:17   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: Twin core sheath / jacket stripping advise pls.

Starting by cutting lengthwise and peeling back works pretty good for me.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:22   #3
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

This is the tool, it is called a cable ripper: Amazon.com: Gardner Bender CR-100 4-Inch Romex Cable Ripper: Home Improvement ,it is made for romex but should work fine
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 18:29   #4

Mmmmm the twin core I have is much differen than Romex cable. As mentioned earlier I have tried slicing this down like I do for romex but unless I cut 99% through it won't give up easy. So I cut through as far as possible without risk than cut blade up from the end like gutting a fish until I can grab it and peel it back then trim.
The tool shown before just does what I would normally do with Romex but if I try that it will cut the iner cores as they are solidly encased by the out sheath.
Maybe I'm wrong here but the tool doesn't seem like it would be precise enough to not hit the core whilst cutting nearly all the way through.
Romex is a cakewalk this stuff is an entirely different beast.

When I normally strip sheath from other types of multicore that is formed around the cores like extension cord/leads I score through to 85/90% then bend a little and it tears the remainder, then just pull it off. This stuff won't tear out unyielding its pretty much right through so too much risk of cutting through into core. Once it is cut, if I do it that way, it still won't slide off as it is made to be tight to keep water air out.
I was hoping I was missing a trick as doing it the fastest way I've found so far is tedious and slow. Not bad if its only a couple of wires, but I have a lot to do. The slowness is not as big a deal as the tedious part.
Maybe I'm already doing it the fast way? I hope there's a better way.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:47   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Exactly what type of twin core cable & jacket insulation are you using?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 00:44   #6

I'm not sure of the manufacturer. I picked it up at the chandelry.
I just started on some of the 15A wire and it seems fine. I slit it down and peeled back the sheath. But on the 45A wire the sheath is tougher and is being a bit dificult to work with.
Old 13-12-2012, 12:04   #7

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

When stripping -/2 and -/3 conducter Ancor or Pacer marine cable, I usually carefully insert a sharp carpet knife right thru the insulation, and gently let the cable ride on the vertically held knife. rarely knicks the conductors.
Old 14-12-2012, 14:19   #8

Thanks Blue stockings.
I tried your technique on some of the 15a wire and it worked well. I'll try it on the 45a next. I was focussing on my main battery management wiring yesterday.
Almost done that and now I've decided I'm goin to move my BMS panel. As where I constructed it to go currently would make an excellent storage cupboard. One thing I e learned in my extreme Alpine climbing life. Is not being afraid to cut losses, back off and start again no matter how much has been invested. Kept me alive. When I said I'm moving the panel my wife said but your almost finished! Including building a large compartment (that turned out I was able to build much larger than I originally thought) plus I made a recessed frame so the panel was countersunk so a sliding door could hide it.
Now I'm going to surface mount it by my other panels and than build sliding doors to conceal them all.
That way I will end up with an additional cupboard.

Tags
core