Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2018, 22:15   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Trojan short T105 terminals

I've just replaced three 12v batteries (70kg each!!!) with 6v Trojans.

What's with the stupid short terminals?

These batteries are designed to be connected in series and parallel therefore two cable lugs need to go on many of the terminals. As you can see by the photo the nuts supplied don't fully do up. Nuts working loose on electrical connections worry me on boats, I'd prefer to put nylocs on them or at least spring washers but no way that can happen (see photo). I've used heavy cable and the lugs are a decent size but not bigger enough that they should cause an issue. These are industrial deep cycle batteries surely they can handle decent size lugs and cable?

So, how do others deal with this? I've used loctite on them.

Second question. I've wired them up with negative and positive main cabling at diagonal ends of bank as is generally recommended in a series /parallel setup but need somewhere to put the blue sea terminal fuse bar for battery charger cable. Due to above terminal shortness it can't go on the main positive terminal therefore I'm putting it on another post terminal (see photo) , any problem with this?

I'm not in a position to mount a fuse remotely and run a new cable to the battery swith rather than straight to battery.

Cheers Dale.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180419_084844.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	168366   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180419_084915.jpg
Views:	742
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	168367  

daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 04:34   #2

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78
Re: Trojan short T105 terminals

Hello Dale, I have the T105’s in series parallel but don’t have this short bolt issue.
In the first picture it looks like the holes in your lugs are significantly larger than the diameter of the bolt. Is it possible your lugs are sized incorrectly and therefore too thick when stacked on top of each other?
In the second picture it looks like your shrink wrap is short and the wire is exposed a little.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 04:43   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Trojan has a plethora of terminal configurations.
Those appear to be “ELPT” Embedded Low Profile Terminals.
See ➥ http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/WP_...Guide_0512.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 04:48   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Hi Dale, I faced the same issue. Here in the UK, Trojan batteries were not readily available until a few years ago.
Couple of years ago, I went to purchase 8 x T125's, and on enquiry, found that in the UK, only the short stud batteries were available. In the USA, you get a choice of long or short.
My work around was to get a few of the Blue Seas MRBF holders, and then ground off all the insulation around the stud you would normally fit the fuse over.
Connect the holder to the battery stud, and used the other stud on the holder as a terminal post.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 05:10   #5

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Won't help if you are in the Seychelles, but a company named BOATSTEER, in Florida, makes a solid copper terminal block that gives extra terminals at the battery. I am installing T105's, actually picking them up today, and the studs are slightly shorter than my Rolls batteries, and am thinking about using them on the new batteries.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 05:19   #6

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

When I had the same problem, I used a long nut, also called a ‘connecting nut’, on the terminal. This allowed me to use a longer bolt that would accommodate multiple terminals and flat washers.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 05:53   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post
Hello Dale, I have the T105’s in series parallel but don’t have this short bolt issue.
In the first picture it looks like the holes in your lugs are significantly larger than the diameter of the bolt. Is it possible your lugs are sized incorrectly and therefore too thick when stacked on top of each other?
In the second picture it looks like your shrink wrap is short and the wire is exposed a little.
Hi, the holes on the lugs are 8mm same as the terminals. All new shrink wrap. Lugs are a little thick but not very much.
Old 19-04-2018, 05:56   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Trojan has a plethora of terminal configurations.
Those appear to be “ELPT” Embedded Low Profile Terminals.
See ➥ http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/WP_...Guide_0512.pdf
Hi, yes they do and yes I have the ELPT, that's all they have here. From what I can see though the threaded part of terminal is the same length on both the short and long terminals, it's the lead stud they are inbedded into that seems to be the difference, but I could be wrong on this.
Old 19-04-2018, 05:59   #9

Thanks guys for the good suggestions. Hopefully they'll be OK the way they are but down the track I may have to look at one the above workarounds.
Old 19-04-2018, 06:46   #10

I'm not going to the trouble of doing this, as at this stage I'm hoping they'll be OK, but just come across this option.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/batte...nal-repair.php
Old 19-04-2018, 07:31   #11
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Watch out with that MRBF fuse mount, or any solution that raises the post height

All wires should be well supported elsewhere so you don't get sideways load stresses bearing on the post/stud.

Over time you can get cracking in the plastic case next to the posts, leaking/seeping electrolyte.

Very fine-stranded intra-bank wiring can help, but you still want to offload as many connections as possible to separately mounted buss or terminal posts.

I also prefer Class T or ANL fuses.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 08:01   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Watch out with that MRBF fuse mount, or any solution that raises the post height

All wires should be well supported elsewhere so you don't get sideways load stresses bearing on the post/stud.

Over time you can get cracking in the plastic case next to the posts, leaking/seeping electrolyte.

Very fine-stranded intra-bank wiring can help, but you still want to offload as many connections as possible to separately mounted buss or terminal posts.

I also prefer Class T or ANL fuses.
Hi John, thanks for your imput. I don't have other connections on the terminals (other than one with the charger) just the cable lugs. These battery studs don't actually accommodate two lugs properly, I find this crazy considering 6v in series are often paralleled.

I just measured my lug thickness, they are 3.5mm which is quite think BUT only 1mm thicker than the lugs on the cables that come on the boat from factory. Also these are heavy duty batteries, surely they are designed for decent cables and lugs.

I'm thinking they'll be fine with lock tight although not optimal.
Old 19-04-2018, 08:50   #13
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

OK, but do stringent inspections, more frequently at first, only scale back when you've verified all is well over time.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 08:59   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
OK, but do stringent inspections, more frequently at first, only scale back when you've verified all is well over time.
I just googled half nylocs. That's the answer. If I can purchase thin nyloc nuts then everythings secure. Won't be able to get them here but I'll source some and get them posted. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180419-195855.png
Views:	283
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	168398
Old 19-04-2018, 09:40   #15

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I just googled half nylocs. That's the answer. If I can purchase thin nyloc nuts then everythings secure. Won't be able to get them here but I'll source some and get them posted. Attachment 168398
I agree, that is the answer. Only in SS
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote