Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2016, 00:57   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50
Trickle charging your start battery

I have made several over complicated circuits over the years to trickle charge my start battery off my solar system. Some controllers do this but most don't.
So if you want a quick and simple aux charge circuit all you need is a high wattage resistor and a diode.
On my system with agm's the charge voltage goes to about 14.4v so a 1.2ohm resistor and a IN54001 diode is for my system perfect. Trickle charges between 200-500mA . I would make the resistor about a 10w one .
Hope this helps someone !
Old 08-08-2016, 02:10   #2

Re: Trickle charging your start battery

just considering adding a PV system. I am looking at 500w and know that in the Med, they will produce much more than I currently use. I was considering using a load diverter to heat water once the batteries are charged. Do you know much about them?
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:35   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50
Re: Trickle charging your start battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlymn View Post
just considering adding a PV system. I am looking at 500w and know that in the Med, they will produce much more than I currently use. I was considering using a load diverter to heat water once the batteries are charged. Do you know much about them?
Sorry no idea. I live in the tropics the Sea water is about 30degrees C and fresh water is about the same. I have removed the hot water system that we had but that was engine coolant heated !

Tags
battery, charging