Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2014, 05:16   #1

Boat: Leopard 42 Sailing Cat
To ground or not to ground an aluminum arch...that is my question.

OK, I searched previous threads and found a number discussing this topic as it relates to radio installations...however that does not help me.

I am installing a couple of wind generators on my aluminum arch (with preexisting solar array) and have a couple questions in this regard for those with more knowledge than myself, please see below.

1. Do wind generators really need to grounded? Its basically a fault safety measure, correct?
2. If I ground my arch to the motors can I use the arch as my grounding plane for anything mounted to it without causing any other problems?
3. Will grounding my aluminum arch invite/cause any kind of "other problems" (like some kind of above water electrolysis and/or electronic corrosion/degradation of the arch) and cause problems?

Thank you for your input and insight. I realize my questions may seem silly to some but I have reached an age where I fully understand the limits of my own understanding of such matters and now elect to seek out knowledgeable guidance as opposed to the trial and error methods of my past. : o)
chrtucke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:57   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: To ground or not to ground an aluminum arch...that is my question.

There is a good chance your arch is already electrically grounded. Perhaps by the frames of the solar panels, lights or other thing mounted on it.

Technically, there should be no real issue grounding the arch (ours is, and we haven't had any issues in 16yrs). However, are you sure windgens need a case ground? I guess that was your first question! I don't know - what does your installation manual say? You could always run a case ground wire to your engine block.

DO NOT use a grounded arch as your negative return to the battery. I don't know if your second question meant that.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:28   #3

Boat: Leopard 42 Sailing Cat

Mark,

Thank you for the input and case study history. I suppose you're right...the solar array may be grounding the arch already, not sure.

I had not planned to use the arch as my negative return just a ground plane...my thought is to run pos/neg to and from each wind generator separately to the control panel but then what to do with the ground wire supplied by the manufacturer which is attached to the units. I did not see anything in the manual specifically stating that they need to be grounded but I was assuming if they supplied ground wires they expect it to be ground...maybe this is all for not. It is my understanding that the ground is really just a fault safety precaution anyway and shouldn't have any regular current on it, correct?

I was thinking of grounding the arch anyway as a general "safety item and figured if I do that then maybe I can just attach these ground wires up at the install/mounting location and not run wires all the way (about 30-35ft each) down to my engines.

Hopefully that's not too confusing. )

Chris
chrtucke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:47   #4

The ground wires may be a lighting thing? As the wind gens are probably commonly the highest point.
If you run a large ground wire down (4awg for lightening) from arch then just ground the wind gens to that point. Same bolt or whatever you use. You don't need wires for each
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:55   #5

I would think his mast is the highest point on the boat…

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 05-10-2014, 13:27   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

An aluminium boat should not be part of any electrical circuit IMHO

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2014, 16:05   #7

Dave,

He has an aluminum arch, not boat, and he is considering electrically bonding it to ground, not making it part of the ship's electrical circuit.

Most likely, he already has it surreptitiously bonded to ground from things already mounted on it that are grounded through their cases/mounts.

Mark

Old 06-10-2014, 08:28   #8

Boat: Snipe, Roughwater 41, and Islander 36

Grounding or bonding?
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:00   #9

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Don't ground the wind generators--you can cause electrolysis problems, and you don't need to.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 23:17   #10

Boat: Cal 46-3, 46' ketch

You absolutely need to ground your aluminum arch for safety reasons. Both your solar panel and wind generators are connected to you batteries via charge controllers (all 12v), but your 120 AC power battery charger is also connected to your batteries as well. While rare, either a lightning strike, or more likely a voltage spike, or malfunction can cause a short/ issue with the battery charger (especially transformer-less 'switching' chargers) which can result in lethal 120 voltage 'leakage' into its 12v DC line. Anything that is metal on a boat that has either DC devices (or AC devices) connected/ mounted to it must be grounded to the ship's ground (usually the engine block). It is also the attachment point of your electrical panel green (ground) wire. Every solar panel, wind generator, sat/ TV/ radio antenna is designed knowing if it is mounted to metal, it is ground to the ship's ground. This ensures that all metal objects on a boat that you can touch with wet feet/ hands are electrically bonded together and at the same zero potential. Keeping everything bonded actually reduces electrolysis issues.
W3GAC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc