Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-09-2015, 06:41   #16
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Re: Tinned 22G duplex wire where to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
We had Kapton wiring all over the "A" model Apache, Had an aircraft burn once in some low lying dessert type terrain, next day the guards went to the hospital, apparently Kapton and many other of the composites create poisonous gasses when they burn.
But between old Kapton wiring and those flat Raychem connectors, I learned a lot more about avionics than I wanted to. (I'm not, nor have I ever been an Avionics tech)

Aircraft wiring is tinned, right?
Yes it is
Not only does kapton give off bad stuff when it burns, it is the cause of many fires - don't get me started

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 07:50   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I love CF - someone asks about small wire to pull a couple of milliamps around unobtrusively and people get pedantic about "proper" and "what-ifs", and present hard lines about "minimum" without any perspective.

Like 16AWG is going to work any better than 20AWG when a bonehead wires a windlass into it.

I bet some of you "minimum" people have never questioned the pigtail wire size on your fans, N2K power, and many other equipment components on board. Or maybe you open these things up and solder on "properly sized" wires in their place?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 17:04   #18
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I love CF - someone asks about small wire to pull a couple of milliamps around unobtrusively and people get pedantic about "proper" and "what-ifs", and present hard lines about "minimum" without any perspective.

Like 16AWG is going to work any better than 20AWG when a bonehead wires a windlass into it.

I bet some of you "minimum" people have never questioned the pigtail wire size on your fans, N2K power, and many other equipment components on board. Or maybe you open these things up and solder on "properly sized" wires in their place?

Mark

Some folk either can't think for themselves or live in fear of litigation or worse still, "the insurance".

all IMHO of course
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 21:36   #19

Boat: Allied 39

No really it's all good. Been doing this gig going on 40 years and the more I know the more I realize I don't know squat!

Thanks again for all the comments

Chuck

www.jacarandajourney.com
Old 25-09-2015, 11:58   #20

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Originally the ABYC standard was stricter, I believe they adjusted it somewhat to handle things like NMEA 2000 cabling. Personally I think the smallest I would go is 18GA for loads on a boat. My reasoning would be durability and corrosion issues. 22 ga does not leave much spare conducting area if a few strands are broken pulling a wire or corrosion sets in. 18 Ga with decent insulation is tough enough for pulling etc at least I haven't broken 18 ga pulling it thru a conduit something I can't say about 22 ga. I also think that 18 or 20 is about the smallest gauge I really like to crimp in the field. Smaller gauges in communication cables are a different matter.

Colin A is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: