Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2018, 10:52   #1

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51
Time to Replace My Batteries?

We are trying to leave the dock and go to the Bahamas for a month or so.

I have 12 6-volt Trojan T-105 Lead Acid batteries. They are about 3 1/2 years old now. I've only owned the boat for the last 1 year 1/2, attached to a dock all except a 45 day trip to the Bahamas last year.

Prior to my ownership, the boat was on the hard and went threw Hurricane Matthew in a boat yard with questionable power. So the batteries have unknown abuse prior to my ownership.

I've equalized twice within the past month. Hyrdometer is coming back in the green.

My battery tests at the dock are not going well. I'm dropping to 12.5 volts within 3 hours of disconnecting shore power, with very small draws going on. My laptop is plugged in to AC, and my AC fridge kicks off every once in a while drawing 10 amps DC.

Time to replace? Anything else I can do to test? I have access to a load tester, but I'm not sure it would do much. I know these batteries are getting older, but they don't have alot of cycles on them.

Thanks,
~ FollowingCs ~
FollowingCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 20:40   #2

Re: Time to Replace My Batteries?

read up on 20 hour test. or c20 test. that is the best way. you'll need a way to measure amps. and enough devices to load the batteries. that size you'll probbaly need an inverter with AC loads to do a test. and it needs to be loads that don't cycle (fridges etc)

I would also recommned adding a battery monitor if you don't have one. (that will provide you the amps and volt reading for the test. and you can compare actulal AH used)

12.5v under load is a fine voltage. under the c20 test you'll probbaly sit around there for 5 + hours.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote