Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2019, 20:06   #16

Boat: 1999 Maxum 4100 SCA
Re: Time to add an inverter

I'd like to thank everyone for their input ... here's my current plan.

Everything in Fig 1 will stay as is.

Will add a 3kW Vectron Multi inverter/charger; new AC only house bank (size TBD) and display/control hardware. The I/C will be inline with the shore power/generator so no matter what's providing AC, the charger will 'see' it and charge the new AC house bank.

One output of the Vectron will go to the low amperage AC stuff (will always get AC from shore/gen or inverter) and one output (big AC amp ticket items) will only get power from shore/gen unless 'turned on' to suck off the house bank (not planning on doing that for any long period of time).

The inverter is designed to sense the AC 'loss' when securing shore power and 'shift' over to being an inverter. Specs say ~20 milliseconds/no loss to AC powered devices. I think I'll be safe and just turn everything off, do the 'switch' and then turn stuff on again.

Again, thanks to all for your input - I'll report back when work is complete.
PJHoffnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 00:52   #17

Quote:
TI think I'll be safe and just turn everything off, do the 'switch' and then turn stuff on again.
You won't need to do that. It will switch in the DC power instantly and flawlessly. It is close to magic.
nebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 01:02   #18
Zai

Boat: 2011 Bavaria 36 Cruiser

You probably already know this, but it looks like you have some corrosion issues, based on the picture you posted.
Zai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 19:56   #19

Boat: 1999 Maxum 4100 SCA
Good eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zai View Post
You probably already know this, but it looks like you have some corrosion issues, based on the picture you posted.
Thanks, another buddy mentioned that on the Maxum forum I posted the info to also ... I took that picture the first day I opened the charger - noticed the same thing and did the old cut/crimp/shrink routine on the bank one and two cables. I should go back and check the jumper - it's been a while since I looked in the box, it's not in the easiest place to get to.
PJHoffnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter