Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2018, 21:28   #16

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Thinking about a portable generator for occassional use ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by basssears View Post
Gord May has some info on the grounding issue in post #3 here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tion-4208.html

An easy fix is to create a dummy bonding plug to plug into the other outlet:
Generator Ground-Neutral Bonding | No~Shock~Zone

-- Bass
Does the floating ground the Honda have actually cause any problems other than the reverse polarity light glowing? I understand the dummy plug (ground neutral bonding) but haven't been able to find any actual boat problems occurring due to this floating ground setup?
Is it a worry other than a slight glowing reverse polarity light?
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 21:39   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Does the floating ground the Honda have actually cause any problems other than the reverse polarity light glowing? I understand the dummy plug (ground neutral bonding) but haven't been able to find any actual boat problems occurring due to this floating ground setup?
Is it a worry other than a slight glowing reverse polarity light?
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...d-68013-2.html
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:36   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenvector View Post
As a data point:
I can run my 16,000 btu A/C without issue using a Honda 3000E

Morning and thanks for all the thoughts
As Bill said I am answering my own question .
fixing and removing a engine for a generator seldom used makes no sense .
I love one of the responses, Remove piece by piece . FUNNY .
Have more storage . Generator is 20 years old. JUST OLD< rusted, not practical in todays world .
I value machinery , try too take care of my equipment .
Same working generator sells many thousands of dollars .
On my boat mfg tucked it along side an engine under deck .
Almost impossible too get too .
Just Checking oil on generator my knuckles bleed .
Recently engine was out of boat, I painted, sanded rust .
Installed new grounding since strap was rusted . Did basic service
Tested and ran fine . Re installed engine . Never thinking internal windings would ground causing almost a fire . Closed just in time .
Should have left it alone , was better off with old oil , plugs , filters,
I wanted too have a back up just incase .
I know there are other MFG other then Honda , known for Quiet, reliable , fuel efficient
Wife needs comforts due too medical issues and needs a/c . We never would stay on the hook . Before I do anything , I must find what my boats BTU A/C puts out
Portable generator I can keep home , Here in Fla we always have black outs, and Hurricanes
THANKS AS USUAL
Al B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 22:56   #19

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

I think the portable is a good idea, but to add something to the mix, how about a dual fuel generator which can still be much less expensive than a decent Honda. If you do not carry or want to carry gasoline, a common second fuel is propane, which you may already use in your galley. Given the circumstances you describe it may be the way to go.
Old 03-03-2018, 04:57   #20

Boat: Morgan 22

I spent a bit more for my Honda eu2000i and I haven’t regretted it. It’s a propane fired unit.

http://www.genconnexdirect.net/honda...generators.htm

I got this with the intention of it living on the boat but last hurricane season had my house power out for nine days. I know - waaaah! But, I was able to keep my refrigerator, a chest freezer and a few LED lights on with it. Oh, and an oscillating fan.

Doesn’t sound like anything but when I say I started it while Irma was still here and it ran 24/7 for a week plus and only consumed 5 20# barbecue-sized propane tanks. So nice not having to worry about slopping gasoline everywhere. Super quiet too.
N1EYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 05:49   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood View Post
I know this is unlikely to change anyone's mind, but as the guy on the other boat in the anchorage, your honda generator running on deck is really, really annoying to listen to. I sure wish you guys would get and install proper generators.
Sorry, but I agree it is unlikely to change anyone's mind. The cost differences between a proper install of a genny that is going to last and a Honda petrol genny is the reason they are so popular. Also look a the number of posts about marine generators failing. Perhaps on a large yacht with space and operating in a climate that needs aircon (or heating) but for temperate maritime environments the Honda has much going for it.

We did sell ours after installing solar, but there are times it would have been handy. When we did use it we were considerate of others, charging in the mornings which is the only time some marinas allow this side of the pond. Certainly wouldn't want to use it for happy hour sitting outside with a cocktail at the end of a pleasant days sailing.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:08   #22

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
I think the portable is a good idea, but to add something to the mix, how about a dual fuel generator which can still be much less expensive than a decent Honda. If you do not carry or want to carry gasoline, a common second fuel is propane, which you may already use in your galley. Given the circumstances you describe it may be the way to go.
Almost everyone carries gasoline for the dinghy motor but yes, a lot of mfgs make dual fuel portable generators these days.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:15   #23

Boat: sabre 28

I heard somewhere that newer portable generators like the Honda were going to have a GFCI outlet on them. If that's the case you may not have to bond the neutral & ground together anymore.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:32   #24

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Sorry, but I agree it is unlikely to change anyone's mind. The cost differences between a proper install of a genny that is going to last and a Honda petrol genny is the reason they are so popular. Also look a the number of posts about marine generators failing. Perhaps on a large yacht with space and operating in a climate that needs aircon (or heating) but for temperate maritime environments the Honda has much going for it.

We did sell ours after installing solar, but there are times it would have been handy. When we did use it we were considerate of others, charging in the mornings which is the only time some marinas allow this side of the pond. Certainly wouldn't want to use it for happy hour sitting outside with a cocktail at the end of a pleasant days sailing.

Pete
I agree with both of you. I used a borrowed small Honda 1000e for a month long delivery a few years ago and while it was smooth and quiet as generators go they are nowhere near quiet enough to use in the evening in an anchorage. I ended up buying a sweet little Chinese made Sportsman 1000 watt inverter portable which is even quieter but I would not even consider using it in an anchorage in the evening out of consideration for others. Iv'e been on the receiving end of other boaters "Quiet" Honda portables running in the evening and when they eventually do shut it down, that's when you realize how loud they really are. Unfortunatly even properly installed diesel generators are no better, maybe for those on board but not for those around you. If you need to run AC stick to marinas.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 18:02   #25
Marine Service Provider

My experience is that people want (a) easy and (b) cheap.so I'll focus on portable units.
Where are you going to (1) store your generator set (2) set up the generator to use it? Remember, it may be severe weather so, where could you put it to keep it safe and be able to refuel it easily? If you're using power cords, will they be dry and as far out of the way as possible?
Small generators (less than 5500 watts) can only do so much. If you overload the unit and damage it, you won't have any power at all. So be smart! Portable units are made up to almost 20k watts but they're not for people on budgets.
The bottom line is to add up the load (watts) you plan to connect and size your generator at least 25% higher. When motors like the compressor in the refrigerator start up there is a sudden draw of power higher than the normal running load and you want to compensate for that.
Small appliances will have the wattage marked on them. Lighting circuits will be less than 1200 watts each. Water heater is 4500 watts alone.
Also,you'll truly get what you pay for...unless you buy from one of those guys selling from the back of their pick-up truck (don't do that). Don't wait till the last minute or you'll be stuck with whatever is left in the stores.
Oh, and the "trick" with connecting the generator to the dryer outlet to backfeed the house? DON'T YOU DARE!! It will result in damage and/or injury...
Hope that helped a little...sorry it's so wordy
shelleyWendert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 18:07   #26

Have you been following this:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...or-198280.html
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 19:19   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleyWendert View Post
Oh, and the "trick" with connecting the generator to the dryer outlet to backfeed the house? DON'T YOU DARE!! It..... will....... result in damage and/or injury...
Hope that helped a little...sorry it's so wordy

Not 'will' but 'can'. Gotta always throw the main 1st and last.

I imagine the linemen have an ear out listening for potables when restoring power.
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:23   #28

I agree, tanglewood.

At anchorage when I have to run the portable generator, I put it in my dinghy floor. It minimizes the noise over the water as well as keeping the fumes away.

Wouldn't it be great if everyone turned off the generators by say, 7 p.m.? Seems like the polite thing to do.
OneMist8k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:16   #29

Boat: Carver 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMist8k View Post
I agree, tanglewood.
OneMist8k...FYI, tanglewood posted this 2-1/2 years ago.
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator