Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2019, 11:10   #121

Boat: R&C Leopard 40
Re: The “Myth” of 100% by Midday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Thank you, we spent considerable time and effort putting together an integrated system that would get the job done properly. Noelex77 has done the same.
Can you explain the secret to your overachieving panels?
Panel type, shading, wiring, controller?

Can you explain how you use the same amount of power at night?
Old 16-07-2019, 11:21   #122
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Can you explain the secret to your overachieving panels?
Panel type, shading, wiring, controller?

Can you explain how you use the same amount of power at night?
I already explained everything, so did noelex77, please go back and review the entire thread, its all there. Take special note of post #4.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 11:44   #123
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
The “Myth” of 100% by Midday

Quote:
Dispite the fact that you have several people now disputing your claims with photgraphic and measurable results, you cling to your belief in the Smart gauge hocus pocus like a true zealot.

Other manufacturers like Mastervolt and Pico offer high quality products which use an integrated shunt and portal as part of the system, unlike Smart gauge which is nothing more than a volt meter attached with two small wires to one battery in the bank IMHO. I used the Smart gauge for one entire season then discarded into the trash can in frustration for something better.

There’s currently another entire thread running discussing the many failures and frustrations with the newer version of Smart gauge which was apparently released prematurely without proper testing of the product.

No Ken, there are several people taking pictures of their battery monitor saying 100% full, which as I said doesn’t mean full.

Of course you can get by on Solar alone but you have to be real stingy on electrical use and or have significant source of solar, or both more likely.

But to use your numbers, you say that you use 70 to 80 amps in a 24 hour period, a low use, but if your not running your freezer, an entirely believable number, the not using the freezer helps a lot.
80 AH at 24V is of course the same as 160 at 12V.

However what is hard to grasp is that your 450 watts of panels are returning that 80 amps before Noon, when on average that is more power that 450W of panels will make in an entire day, and your are doing it in a half a day. Plus you have to return more power than was removed as charging is not 100% efficient.
Or do you say that the rule of 1/3 rated power in watts of an array In 12V AH is also false? As well as your assertion that the Smart Gauge is junk? I know nothing of the second one, but that’s not the one you had was it?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 12:09   #124

Quote:
I already explained everything, so did noelex77, please go back and review the entire thread, its all there. Take special note of post #4.
It's not but ok, you clearly don't want to get too detailed.

You complain that no one wants to learn from you, maybe it's because you are difficult to interact with. Skipping the questions you don't like, being vague, telling them to read what you already wrote, etc.

I did all that and I still don't see how you have 400 watts of panels that get 25%-35% more output than virtually everyone else.

I still don't know why you use as much power at night as you do during the day despite needing 21+ amp hours to make water.

It just doesn't add up.
Old 16-07-2019, 12:11   #125
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
No Ken, there are several people taking pictures of their battery monitor saying 100% full, which as I said doesn’t mean full.

Of course you can get by on Solar alone but you have to be real stingy on electrical use and or have significant source of solar, or both more likely.

But to use your numbers, you say that you use 70 to 80 amps in a 24 hour period, a low use, but if your not running your freezer, an entirely believable number, the not using the freezer helps a lot.

However what is hard to grasp is that your 450 watts of panels are returning that 80 amps before Noon, when on average that is more power that 450W of panels will make in an entire day, and your are doing it in a half a day. Plus you have to return more power than was removed as charging is not 100% efficient.
Or do you say that the rule of 1/3 rated power in watts of an array In 12V AH is also false? As well as your assertion that the Smart Gauge is junk? I know nothing of the second one, but that’s not the one you had was it?
Like the other guy, please go back and review the entire thread, everything was already explained including the part where I make water and use high energy appliances later in the day, my only evening deficit is 25-30Ah that needs to be made up in the morning... a photo was posted.

Then please review post #4.
Old 16-07-2019, 12:20   #126
cruiser

Quote:
It's not but ok, you clearly don't want to get too detailed.

You complain that no one wants to learn from you, maybe it's because you are difficult to interact with. Skipping the questions you don't like, being vague, telling them to read what you already wrote, etc.

I did all that and I still don't see how you have 400 watts of panels that get 25%-35% more output than virtually everyone else.

I still don't know why you use as much power at night as you do during the day despite needing 21+ amp hours to make water.

It just doesn't add up.
In order for learning to take place, there first needs to be a willing and attentive recipient on the other end.... Examples: Post #4. 450w of Solbian panels (not 400w) plus another post noted that our days of sunshine are much longer than 6 hours during the summer, I get production beginning at 8am until 7pm. Noelex77 also mentioned this several times.

The sunshine part of the day is... l o n g e r during the summer months which equals more production time which means more juice is going into the system.
Old 16-07-2019, 12:51   #127

Quote:
In order for learning to take place, there first needs to be a willing and attentive recipient on the other end.... Examples: Post #4. 450w of Solbian panels (not 400w) plus another post noted that our days of sunshine are much longer than 6 hours during the summer, I get production beginning at 8am until 7pm. Noelex77 also mentioned this several times.

The sunshine part of the day is... l o n g e r during the summer months which equals more production time which means more juice is going into the system.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2832273 Post #48
Back in Feb you stated:
"I see about 60-80aH diminish on the 24 volt bank during a meal prep over a one hour period".

Please explain how you can cook with solar, plus recharge batteries, plus make water on 450wp of solar.
Old 16-07-2019, 13:04   #128
cruiser

Quote:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2832273 Post #48
Back in Feb you stated:
"I see about 60-80aH diminish on the 24 volt bank during a meal prep over a one hour period".

Please explain how you can cook with solar, plus recharge batteries, plus make water on 450wp of solar.
That Febuary post was back when I was using the crappy Smart gauge for monitoring which has since been thrown into the rubbish bin and now resides in a landfill. Our entire monitoring and management system has been replaced with a Mastervolt Smart shunt, Mastervolt Easy View 5 and a Mastervolt portal. Along with my existing Magnetronic, I can now accurately monitor and confirm every Ah. The photos on this thread are accurate and time and dated.

Otherwise.... I again refer you to post #4.

Please.... Have a nice day.
Old 16-07-2019, 13:08   #129

Quote:
That Febuary post was back when I was using the crappy Smart gauge for monitoring, now our entire monitoring and management system has been replaced with a Mastervolt Smart shunt, Mastervolt Easy View 5 and a Mastervolt portal. Along with my existing Magnetronic, I can now accurately monitor and confirm every Ah. The photos on this thread are accurate and time and dated.

Otherwise.... I again refer you to post #4.

Please.... Have a nice day.
I think someone's generator gets used more than they want to admit.
If you start posting pics of your genny's hour meter, it might help make your case.

Cooking is power intensive. Some are more wasteful than others but nothing is free.

We are just about to start testing our 4 qt instapot and a flat griddle.
Old 16-07-2019, 13:16   #130
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Smart Gauge doesn’t track or display amps
Old 16-07-2019, 13:20   #131
cruiser

Quote:
Smart Gauge doesn’t track amps
I did not say it did, I went by its error prone inaccurate SOC percentage display.

You two can figure things out for yourselves, meanwhile.... I’ll continue to enjoy Greece powered by solar.

Please... Have a nice day.
Old 16-07-2019, 14:37   #132

Quote:

We use around 120 ah per day. But only maybe 30ah of that during the night.

We mostly run the high consumption stuff during the day, when the charge controller is in float mode. So that 90 or so ah of power consumption has zero impact on the batteries SOC. They remain fully charged.

(BTW I have LiFePO4s, so don't have to spend hours absorbing.)

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 15:15   #133

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
We mostly run the high consumption stuff during the day, when the charge controller is in float mode. So that 90 or so ah of power consumption has zero impact on the batteries SOC. They remain fully charged.
This is quite common, and sensible, for a boat predominantly using solar power.

Boats using predominantly generator based power often manage power quite differently. The generator is typically started to assist with the evening meal. With the generator running this is the logical time to run high draw appliances such as the watermaker and washing machine.

Thus the night time power use can be very different between these two groups, even if the overall consumption is similar.

Often boats that predominantly use generator power have trouble understanding the low night time consumption pattern of boats that predominantly use solar power and vice versa.

However, there is some logic, and sensible reasons, behind the differences.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 19:40   #134
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We use about 130 AH from the time Solar charging ceases and by the time it starts again, In Winter when we have cruised so far that’s about 16 or 18 hours.
I have no idea what we use during the day as most of what it used comes straight from the panels and is used, so no way to count that, I’d assume it’s more. These are 12V numbers. So maybe 240 AH for 24 hours so that’s 10 amp average draw?

A pure generator boat, running the generator in the afternoon is fine, doesn’t matter when but they need to run for many hours, and usually don’t so they are seriously short cycling their bank, but they usually don’t stay out long either.
It takes about 6 hours to charge a lead bank, and I doubt they run the generator until midnight.

Most people have no clue about batteries, seemingly especially our power boat brothers, very often here in the Marina I see one with a cart hauling that West Marine AGM 8D battery to the boat.
Then most with generators etc go from one marina to the other. Talked to a Woman the other day at the pool that said she just can’t sleep at anchor. I said you’ll get used to it after you cruise for awhile. She sort of sneered at me and said I doubt it, we did the whole loop and only anchored out three times, and then only because there wasn’t a Marina, didn’t say it but you could tell she thought anyone who anchored to be a low life.

I would bet you money that every time they left the marina the generator was running and did so until the next marina.
Old 17-07-2019, 02:09   #135

Boat: Hunter Legend 420 Passage

Quote:
a64pilot....you cling to your belief in the Smart gauge hocus pocus like a true zealot....
Smart gauge which is nothing more than a volt meter attached with two small wires to one battery in the bank IMHO.....
You keep regurgitating your OPINION about Smartgauge without knowing the facts.

You say you tried it for 12 months and it didn't work for you. That could be because you didn't install it properly, and you've proved that by your comment above!!!

It clearly explains in the Merlin Smartgauge manual it should be attached with 14 gauge (AWG) wires connected to opposite ends of the battery bank. If it was just measuring battery voltage then smaller wires would do the job.

Balmar don't show connecting these 14 AWG wires to opposite ends of the battery bank, but I don't think they understand why this is important. If anybody wants to know read the Smartgauge website on this.

So please stop posting incorrect information.
sailinglegend is offline   Reply With Quote