Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2007, 11:01   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Gmac-
Sounds like you've got it. The Honda2000 might be more than you need, there's also a Honda1000, a tad smaller cheaper lighter at half the output which is probably still enough.

Equalizing the batteries means running 15+ volts through them for a short time once per month, it brings all the cells up to an "equal" maximum level and is suggested for the best capacity and life--except for sealed or AGM batteries. (Except for LifeLine's brand of AGMs, they recommend it too.)

COLREGS does not require "watts" for bulbs or lamps, they require visibility testing for the entire lamp assembly. Your lamp does not need to be tested to be legal--but there are many folks who want an "approved" fixture assembly so there is no liability question. In theory, you can row off two, three, four miles away and if you can still spot the light--you've just tested and confirmed it. (On the con side, explain that to the judge, versus having the approval papers from the USCG.)

If you buy LED replacements, the odds are you'll want a complete approved fixture with LEDs original to it. Lots of options, lots of $$. And one company making bulbs that it claims are approved when used in one particular common fixture (sorry, the name eludes me.)

Sounds like changing the masthead lights will do a lot for you!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 02:13   #17
Marine Service Provider

I've been excited all day and trying to find a LED that will fit the existing fitting. So far not good but I have a couple of leads. I have learnt they are not a budget fitting but I can live with it for the power savings alone. I'd never do it at home which just goes to prove the anchor wench right, the boat get what the boat needs and the house is forgotten. I can't see her problem, strange things females.

Also if I do change fittings they are a lot better slippery profile, another 0.00001 knot maybe. I'll take anything for my 20 yo boat which is still in 'Class' legal condition i.e. no turboing.

They put me in with the lightweight hot rods some of which are brand new. I tried to change classes thinking we'll get trashed but we're currently 3rd in the series and it's going into the longer legs were we will be a lot more comfortable so can push longer. A series of 2 handed distance races. A 50 miler then a 60 then a 100 then a 250 then around the north island approx 1200 miles. The 100 is next and the 1200 is the one I need to look at the power for.

The LED nav light solves the issue, nice. Damn glad I asked you lot and thank you.

I sussed some solar panels, 63W with a short circuit current or some name close to that of 3.6 Amps. I'm guessing that is the max output into the battery less a tad for wire and regulator. I'm thinking work on half that number as realistic. A 80W had 4.8A but they are big. Being conservative 5 hours a day at 2.4A is 12 Ahrs or about what I'll use.

The 25watt rule is in the international sailing race rules. The actual race uses Int Col Regs at night but race organisers often bump them up for certain reasons. My current light is massively bright. Under it all night would nearly give you sunburn.

Hoping for a better LED day tomorrow.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 03:27   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Gmac, on those solar panels? You're going to spend another $400-500 on an MPPT controller, not a regulator, if you want to make good use of them. About a 10% power gain. And, five hours a day might be an optimistic output. If the panels are mounted flat and not re-oriented at the sun every hour...more losses. That Honda genset has a place in this universe.[g]
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 03:45   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Every boat at anchor must show only a white light visible from all directions between sunset and sunrise.
For vessels with length of <20 m, a visible distance of 2 nautical miles is specified for anchor lights.

Calculated luminous intensity of light in candelas (cd ,or Iv)* for K = 0.8 (corresponding to a meteorological visibility of approximately 13 nautical miles.)
1 nm visibility = 0.9 cd
2 nm visibility = 4.3 cd
3 nm visibility = 12 cd
4 nm visibility = 27 cd

See also:
What Our LED Light Specifications Mean
Bebi Electronics-What Our Marine RV & Off Grid LED Specifications Mean

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote