Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2018, 08:28   #1
KTP

Testing new flexible Renogy panels on lifelines

I am thinking of getting some of the ultra flexible (243 degree bend or something) Renogy 100 watt or 160 watt solar panels to hang on the lifelines of our 34 foot Pacific Seacraft sailboat.

The panels do not come with grommet holes. I was thinking of bonding them to a thin stiffer panel which would have secure mounting holes to clip onto the lifelines. This could also help with micro-fractures in the panel cells, which I have read some threads about.

What do you think about using something like 1/16" aluminum sheet metal as a backing/mounting? Bond it to the panel with Sikaflex. It might provide some efficiency increase because the aluminum would act as a heat sink for the back of the panel cells. I am unsure of the expansion differences though between the aluminum sheet and the material the panel is made from...would the Sikaflex be enough to compensate for this? Could go with some sort of plastic mounting sheet I guess, but want to keep the weight down. The panels are about 4 pounds.

I figure if you had three 100 watt panels on each side of the sailboat, you could for the most of the day expect one side or the other to get sun, even if not direct. I bet with reflections on the water you would see 150 to 200 watts during the day no matter what direction. At anchor maybe you could change the mount somewhat.
KTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 18:59   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Testing new flexible Renogy panels on lifelines

The panels must have no flex in use.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lifelines, panels