Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2015, 11:49   #16

Re: Tested generator not charging; vsm422 volt reading variation; ground connection q

Stu:

Thanks for the help. When I disconnect the negative battery terminals would you suggest running the start battery ground terminal wire to the regulator ground post alone, or to other places as well in order to do the job right?

I have the engine grounded now to the main negative bus bar connected to the VSM shunt which is connected to the bridged grounds of the batteries. I think i should remove that ground connection as well, sound right? However, I wanted the VSM to display the amount of charge I was supplying via the engine's generator so that is why i wired the engine ground to the VSM shunt as to reflect the charge amperage of the engine's generator. good idea/bad idea?

I have an ACR as well if that changes anything.
ketchcng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 04:24   #17

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Tested generator not charging; vsm422 volt reading variation; ground connection q

Take the start battery minus back to the engine block (probably near the starter) where the manufacturer had put it originally. Then run a short wire from the generator minus to the same bolt on the engine. The size should be probably AWG #4 or bigger if it will fit. Keep the house bank battery minus connected to the current shunt as it is now. Make sure that the ground bus bar connected to the other side of the shunt has a good connection to the engine block ground. That wire should be as big as you can fit.

My guess is that the problem is too much resistance in your negative wires and connections.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 04:29   #18

Ill try that ground change in about ten days when im up there again. Thanks. I have 6 wire gauge on their now.

Christian Gould
S/V Sea Dog; Rhodes Chesapeake 32
Lake Superior, Apostle Islands
ketchcng is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, generator