Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2015, 10:01   #1

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519
Telsa designs house battery 6 months

Tesla Motors Announces A New Home Battery; Living Off The Grid Will Soon Be Status Quo

This could be a big change for marine power

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:34   #2

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Telsa designs house battery 6 months

Could be but (there's always a but) Mr. Musk has taken a beating lately with analysts looking for the emperor's clothes. Also known as profits. So he announces a new product during an earnings call. Hopefully it will be useful to boaters but will have to wait and see if it materializes.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:48   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Remember that his batteries of choice use a highly flammable electrolyte. Cannot be extinguished by conventional means. And require an active thermal management system with the packs heated and cooled.

Might not be what you want to leave unattended on a boat. Or, even have on a boat while you're asleep in it.

And they're just designed to be "store and forward" batteries, that is, storing GRID power when it is cheapest, to be released and used when it is at a premium or unavailable. No magic there.

Now wait until you see the price.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 13:24   #4

I won't be able to get them this year as I have to save up for a deposit on my flying car.

I'll give the guy credit for being a good salesman.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 14:02   #5

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Actually, it's not a fire, but a runaway chemical reaction. Oxidizer, reducer, heat source in one nifty little package.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:48   #6

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

My boat, like many, carries a huge pile of lead around. I've often wondered why this can't be in the configuration of a huge lead acid battery? It seems silly to carry around a bunch of lead boxes (batteries) when I've already got 2 tons of lead aboard already!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:59   #7

Boat: Hudson Force 50; 57' overall
pirate Re: Telsa designs house battery 6 months

I'm still hopeful that the fuel cell becomes commercially available for marine use. Think of it ... quiet electrical power that's strong enough for propulsion with by products being distilled water! Many fear storing hydrogen aboard, but technology has already made that much safer. And, unlike propane, it's the lightest element so any leakage will float out through the hatches rather than sitting explosively in the bilge. Now all we need to work on is bringing the cost down and finding a refueling station when needed.
RABenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:08   #8

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Free distilled water. Hydrogen floating up into the atmosphere.

Wait until the greenies get hold of that.
All that "extra water" being added to the earth...therefore:

RISING OCEAN WATER ! EXPLOSIVE ATMOSPHERE DANGER !!!! TETOTWAWKI

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 13:58   #9

I want a small nuclear power plant for my boat. I would have an electric motor and all the electricity I need to run every thing else. No need for batteries.
ebs001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 14:08   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
I want a small nuclear power plant for my boat. I would have an electric motor and all the electricity I need to run every thing else. No need for batteries.
Nuclear power plants don't really make electricity, they make heat.

BTW - I don't really have a problem with our current lead acid batteries boat systems. Overall they are pretty tough, simple, and inexpensive for the service and life you get out of them.
Old 07-04-2015, 14:18   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABenko View Post
I'm still hopeful that the fuel cell becomes commercially available for marine use. Think of it ... quiet electrical power that's strong enough for propulsion with by products being distilled water! Many fear storing hydrogen aboard, but technology has already made that much safer. And, unlike propane, it's the lightest element so any leakage will float out through the hatches rather than sitting explosively in the bilge. Now all we need to work on is bringing the cost down and finding a refueling station when needed.
Years ago at the National Association of Brodcasters Convention a company introduced a "Fuel Cell" to power remote news gathering operations
It was the size of a can of tennis balls and powered a Camera and a Sat Uplink station for over 40 hours. Only bug a boo was transportation,
Nobody, No Company, No Airline, No Ground Transport Co. Nobody would
touch or move the the thing, It never took off except it might be used by the Spook and or Military Community. There were guys in uniform crowding the booth all day. Lots of exotic batteries like Lithium Poly that are here now
But they are just plain to Dangerous for lots of uses. I'd never put a LIPO
on a boat, If they catch fire they would burn right thru the boat.
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 14:18   #12

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
Actually, it's not a fire, but a runaway chemical reaction. Oxidizer, reducer, heat source in one nifty little package.
Off topic but so what.

If some one followed me around with a bright light continually asking questions I would end up in jail. And the camera person would end up in the hospital with an anal wound.
Old 07-04-2015, 14:35   #13

Boat: a sailing boat

Telsa it is or Tesla?

As long as he generates or starts generating positive (free) cash flows, earning are irrelevant.

Now the question is with the generation moved out (of the cars), who will generate all the power the cars need? More nuclear plants in the pipeline or what? What about distribution? Even higher voltages perhaps, perhaps liquid nitrogen cables?

Buy shares in nuclear plants then and soon you will be able to buy the fancy battery, the Tesla car and and perhaps even a proper YACHT!!!!!!!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:21   #14

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Off topic but so what.

If some one followed me around with a bright light continually asking questions I would end up in jail. And the camera person would end up in the hospital with an anal wound.
????
I was just trying to show those exploding battery packs, and thinking about how much fun it would be to have them on board a boat.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:34   #15
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Bill,

I can think of a number of boats that I would donate those HE battery packs to. For example, the guy who wants to blow the speakers on his boat in what's supposed to be quiet anchorage. 😄

Sent from my iPhone using Quantum Entagelment
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery