Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2012, 04:53   #1

Boat: Solaris Sunrise 36
Tell us about your KISS installation

We have a 2nd hand KISS windgen set ready to be installed and are trying to find out what wire we need (and whether our existing regulator is man enough). Have searched and searched and not found anything so hoping that since some forumites use KISS that you can help.

The wire currently on it is 11 AWG 4mm sq. However, looking at various tables on the web this seems lighter than would be recommended if the max output is 25A. The maximum distance from the generator to the batteries would be 10 metres/ 30ft. Some calculations seem to suggest that you measure the round distance (i.e. 20 metres / 60ft). So I am getting calculations which suggest one might even need 2 or 4 AWG.

What wire do you use (over what distance) ?

And if you have regulator or charge controller what do you use ?

(We are planning to fit a new solar panel so the regulator/controller would need to be able to cope with the windgen and a panel generating a max of 5A. Our house batteries are 220AH in total.)

Really hope someone can help - I am no electrician !!!!

TIA
Penny
pragmatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 04:58   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Re: Tell us about your KISS installation

why not go to the Kiss web page and start there first?Wind Generators Kiss High-Output Wind Generator Instruction Manual
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 05:04   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I don't have a Kiss, but know that the output is AC, not DC. You will need Kiss's rectifying/controller for it and cannot use a standard controller designed for DC regulation. This makes the 25A DC run to the batteries only as long as the distance you mount the rectifier, so the wire gauge there can be appropriately smaller. The voltage/current from the windgen to the rectifier/controller is AC, so the wire can be sized appropriately smaller there also.

You will never be happy trying to regulate any windgen and solar off the same controller. For a solar panel your size, you can get a simple controller for <$30, and perhaps even go without one if your batteries never reach full charge during the sunlight hours.

I believe Kiss is still in production and hasn't changed in decades, so you can contact them for any instructions or parts.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 06:32   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pragmatist View Post
... The wire currently on it is 11 AWG 4mm sq. However, looking at various tables on the web this seems lighter than would be recommended if the max output is 25A. The maximum distance from the generator to the batteries would be 10 metres/ 30ft. Some calculations seem to suggest that you measure the round distance (i.e. 20 metres / 60ft). So I am getting calculations which suggest one might even need 2 or 4 AWG.

What wire do you use (over what distance) ? ...
You are right.

See the Wire Size Chart & explanation
Wire Size Chart.1 - Read /w &quot;Ohm's Law &amp; You&quot; Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery

Wire Size Chart.2 - Read /w Wire Size Chart.1 &amp; &quot;Ohm's Law &amp; You&quot; Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery

25Amps over 65 feet = 1,625 A/Ft, requiring #2 AWG (±33mm2) cable, for 3% Voltage drop.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 22:20   #5

Boat: boat less ATM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pragmatist View Post
And if you have regulator or charge controller what do you use ?

(We are planning to fit a new solar panel so the regulator/controller would need to be able to cope with the windgen and a panel generating a max of 5A. Our house batteries are 220AH in total.)
I bought a new KISS from the manufacturer in Trinidad. They are still being made. The owner is sometimes a bit lax in answering emails but give it a go. Otherwise ring him. I phoned from Australia when I was having installation problems which turned out to be a lack of neurones on the part of the al post fabricator ( he was a Kiwi, so I should have started there when the gennie would not fit on the post)

Any how, he does not recommend a regulator because as he says you will lose the top 20% of your output. I agree with him ,as the KISS is very efficient amp maker without a regulator. BUT this means you have to tie it off if you are leaving the boat for a long period or you will fry your batteries if the wind gets above 25 kts. Believe me, when it starts free wheeling at 25 kts, a wind generator is a scarey beast to tame.
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation