Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2014, 22:29   #1
Marine Service Provider

Tartan 30 Battery Location

Hi,

One of my present projects in on a Tartan 30, the first I've ever worked on. This Tartan 30 has two batteries, one near the engine for starting and one near the stern for house loads. Question -- Is this stock Tartan or is it someone's modification of the original configuration. I have advised the owner to move the house battery forward to the compartment where the start battery is located to shorten the wire length and add redundancy to the system.

Thanks,

Phil
PT Marine Elect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 03:59   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
re: Tartan 30 Battery Location

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Phil.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 04:13   #3

Boat: C&C Landfall 35 HiHo

Phil

It is not original. They came with two both next two the engine. You will notice that you will have a height issue which will require Gel or AGM so they can be mounted on their side.
Hi Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 05:25   #4

Boat: Tartan 30 & Columbia 26

Agree with Hi Ho. My T30 is bone stock and both batteries are next to the engine.
wristwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 13:06   #5

Boat: Tartan30
Talking re: Tartan 30 Battery Location

I have a Tartan30 #256 and I have 2 deep cycle batteries in the well next to the engine. I have seen one installation where they used a shorter battery and were able to get 3 in the well..
As far as the height of the battery there is a clearance problem so I figured out where the battery posts would be at and routed out the 1/2 in in the cover i needed to get a flush fit for the cover. There is also two 3 inch holes in the well that allows the bilge blower to vent any battery fumes out of the well with the other fumes or gasses.
I have tried to think of what they might have used a battery in the stern forand there is any number of bad ideas.
I used those compartments for all manner of storage and it the battery is not properly in a battery box, and vented there is a good possibly of spark/fire/explosion.
It also just adds that much more weight to the stern which in conflict with one of the great things about the Tartan30 with the midship mount engine, batteries, and tanks keeping the weight very low and in the middle of the boat. That's how I see it anyway.
scottydaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 13:18   #6

Boat: Tartan 30 & Columbia 26
Re: Tartan 30 Battery Location

I'm not sure whether it's stock or not, but my T-30 also has an automatic fire extinquisher in the battery compartment next to the engine. Seems like an excellent idea.
wristwister is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery