Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 17:04   #16
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 17,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
my engine does not have a serp belt. wish it did. i will spec up that alt for sure, but running the main overnight is not good on it when not properly loaded.
There are dual alt, serpentine conversions. Assuming you pull 5KW from the engine, that's about 7HP I think if it's 100% efficient, nothing is of course, so maybe 10 hp actual? 10 hp from say a 85 HP engine should be plenty to keep it from stacking, get the coolant and oil to correct temp.
__________________

__________________
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 17:07   #17
Senior Cruiser
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 5,780
Re: Talking out loud, generator build

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
so these are externally regulated? awesome.
the meps power units are externally regulated but are not an automotive type alternator. The output from them is a multi phase high frequency AC power, not unlike a honda generator, that must be conditioned by the supplied "inverter" in order to feed your house loads.
__________________

__________________
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 17:41   #18
Senior Cruiser
 
DeepFrz's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Boat: None at this time
Posts: 7,930
Re: Talking out loud, generator build

Let us know how it works out.
__________________
The Blue Dot Campaign. This Changes Everything.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 18:02   #19
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: medusa NY
Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Posts: 2,098
Re: Talking out loud, generator build

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
There are dual alt, serpentine conversions. Assuming you pull 5KW from the engine, that's about 7HP I think if it's 100% efficient, nothing is of course, so maybe 10 hp actual? 10 hp from say a 85 HP engine should be plenty to keep it from stacking, get the coolant and oil to correct temp.
not offered on our model, i checked.
i emailed balmar. best i can do is twin belts to one alt, and fit an additional two belt pulley on the main, and have a second alt. but thats only 400 amps...
__________________
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 18:03   #20
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: medusa NY
Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Posts: 2,098
Re: Talking out loud, generator build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
not big enough, not nearly big enough......think bus, like greyhound bus.
i had eyeballed one of these. my guy has those too. but they are 24 volts... thats a whole new pain.
__________________
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 18:08   #21
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 17,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
not offered on our model, i checked. i emailed balmar. best i can do is twin belts to one alt, and fit an additional two belt pulley on the main, and have a second alt. but thats only 400 amps...
Only 400 amps is 5.6KW, now what I don't know and quite frankly doubt if that 400amps is a 100% duty cycle, 5.6 KW isn't enough?
__________________
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 18:12   #22
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: medusa NY
Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Posts: 2,098
Re: Talking out loud, generator build

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Only 400 amps is 5.6KW, now what I don't know and quite frankly doubt if that 400amps is a 100% duty cycle, 5.6 KW isn't enough?
it very much is. but when the main breaks down, and we are in a remote location, i have no backup. no secondary strong power source.
i doubt i will be in towboat range more then another 20 months. if the main fails, sure i can go to minimal systems, but what if it is freezing cold? and i dropped a valve? i will not have the parts to fix that. so i will be relying on sails, and the secondary power source.
__________________
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 18:24   #23
Registered User
 
sabray's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wash DC
Boat: PETERSON 44
Posts: 3,169
I guess I would lean tword solar panels. Maybe a honda gen if Ac was really a definite need. The work and money your talking about could set up a nice solar rig and top batts plus regulator. With money left to get some led lighting. So far I get along pretty well with solar. Very minimal and conscious electric use.
Another option to consider when paying out dollars.
__________________
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 18:25   #24
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 17,054
People may not like them, but for $2,000 you have 4KW with two of the little Honda gensets. I think when I go, I'll have at least one, probably two of the things as a back-up plan. They are easy to convert to propane, and or run off of a 6gl outboard fuel tank if you don't mind gasoline
__________________
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 18:28   #25
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 17,054
I'm still trying to figure out why you couldn't go large with solar, large with a battery bank, large on Alt's, use an invertor for 60Hz 120V power and ditch the AC genset?
I'm missing something of course, but don't know what.
__________________
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 18:30   #26
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,205
Re: Talking out loud, generator build

Here is My build using the Perkins 402-D.


I'll assure you your not going to be able to spin 3 X 200 amp alts, even if they are 100% efficient.

I am spinning a 275 amp alt right now, and when it's cold that's all the Perky can do.

No one in the states builds/sells a marinized version of the engine except Volvo.

2 others in Europe do.

I purchased the mani-cooler, and seawater pump and injection elbow from Volvo.

Mine runs as a variable speed between 1600 and 2800 rpm, dependent on the alternator output. I use a hall effects current sensor, and a Precision Governors controller.

It is a sweet little unit, burns about a litter per hr. on average. I run it for an 1.5 hrs every other day, and it makes domestic HW as a byproduct. It ways 169 lbs.

Perky\Cat/Volvo Diesel Bat Charger

Lloyd



Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
your correct, it is not the same.
but you need to just add,
heat exchanger $150-200
water injection elbow make your own $50-150
water pump">raw water pump. $150ish

IF i can get the engine for $2500 or less, it would work out to a good deal.
i would actually prefer a DC gen set. 600 amps or so. i would keep the throttle remote mounted, so i could control output. 3, 200 amp alternators. i could un-excite them remotely, so i could have 200, 400 or 600 amps. using inverters for the AC units, but more then likely just for smaller items. running the generator would be more fuel efficient then running the engine, to just charge batteries.

$6,000 is a lot. if i can build this one for under $4000 it would be like getting my pacific stove for free!
__________________
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 18:37   #27
Registered User
 
Parmenter's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 156
Re: Talking out loud, generator build

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
People may not like them, but for $2,000 you have 4KW with two of the little Honda gensets.
Funnily enough I just had an email with this and I am in no ways suggesting it but gee they make it sound good

Quote:
FUJI Micro 4.4kVA Portable Inverter Generator $579
The Fuji Micro makes sure that you can. Manufactured from rugged ABS plastic and stainless steel, it is produced by the makers of Honda, Yamaha and other blue-chip brands, offering ultimate dependability. This also means that spare parts are readily available.

eBay Group Deals Products - FUJI Micro 4.4kVA Portable Inverter Generator
__________________
Parmenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 18:41   #28
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: medusa NY
Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Posts: 2,098
Re: Talking out loud, generator build

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCloud1937 View Post
Here is My build using the Perkins 402-D.


I'll assure you your not going to be able to spin 3 X 200 amp alts, even if they are 100% efficient.

I am spinning a 275 amp alt right now, and when it's cold that's all the Perky can do.

No one in the states builds/sells a marinized version of the engine except Volvo.

2 others in Europe do.

I purchased the mani-cooler, and seawater pump and injection elbow from Volvo.

Mine runs as a variable speed between 1600 and 2800 rpm, dependent on the alternator output. I use a hall effects current sensor, and a Precision Governors controller.

It is a sweet little unit, burns about a litter per hr. on average. I run it for an 1.5 hrs every other day, and it makes domestic HW as a byproduct. It ways 169 lbs.

Perky\Cat/Volvo Diesel Bat Charger

Lloyd
will you fill me in where you bought the engine, and for how much?
it looks great, BTW!
__________________
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 18:44   #29
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: medusa NY
Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Posts: 2,098
Re: Talking out loud, generator build

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why you couldn't go large with solar, large with a battery bank, large on Alt's, use an invertor for 60Hz 120V power and ditch the AC genset?
I'm missing something of course, but don't know what.
going too far south for that. we are trying for landfall in Antarctica.
__________________
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 18:49   #30
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 17,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
going too far south for that. we are trying for landfall in Antarctica.
Really? Why? When you going to start?
__________________

__________________
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
generator

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:08.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.