Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2015, 06:38   #1

Boat: Moody 425
Switch voltage question

I purchased a momentary switch for my thruster. When I purchased it I neglected to notice the specs other than ON-OFF-ON. I finally got around to installing it and I noticed the amp/voltage ratings on the side of the switch were 10 amp 250VAC and 15 amp 125VAC. I cannot read the writing on the old switch.

Is this OK to use for 12 volt? The circuit for this switch has an 8 amp breaker and that has never needed to be reset. I emailed and phoned Paneltronics and they have not responded so I thought I would be able to get good info from this forum.

Thanks, Larry
Sailing Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:14   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Switch voltage question

Yep that switch will be just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:21   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

Not sure what the fudge factor should be when using ac switch in a dc circuit, maybe it is just fine. 60 cycles is pretty slow, the current rating on an ac switch can be high compared to a dc switch rating. To bad there are not more dc rated switches for sale. Hard to find unless you go to an aviation source where they have to use them in a dc circuit.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 14:56   #4

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Depends on the switch, you usually have to downrate the amperage for low voltage DC. The contacts tend to burn out quicker at low voltages. (I'm not an expert at switch design but this is what the engineers at work tell me) My guess is you will be fine as I'm assuming the switch won't have much current flowing thru it as it just a control switch for a set of reversing relays at the thruster. Carling I don't think lists the DC rating for switches on it's site but list them as OK for DC.
Old 03-06-2015, 19:57   #5

Boat: Moody 425

Thanks for the info everyone. I figured there wouldn't be much current because of what it does. I just wasn't sure about the voltage. I'll give it a try.

Larry
Sailing Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote