Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2018, 08:45   #1

SUNBEAMsystem Tough+ solar panel

Anyone use SUNBEAMsystem Tough+ solar panels?

Solar Panels – SUNBEAMsystem.com

Manufacturer claims Tough+ have 13% more power vs Tough models, but price is up 40%.

The same size (778x535mm) Tough+ 80W panel price £499 vs Tough 70W price £359. Can't find any justification for such huge price hike.

Price List
Username25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 10:03   #2

Re: SUNBEAMsystem Tough+ solar panel

I'm using them. I have a mix of 38, 56 and 80 watt on the yacht. I'm getting some good power out of them even at 59 North and would expect that to increase as i move south this year.

I agree that they are crazy expensive but i managed to get some good deals in the boat show season.

If its worth it or not, hard to say... these is my first solar project so i dont have a lot to compare to.
rubberduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 10:25   #3

How much W in total you have? How much output you get on average in a sunny midday? Is output close to declared? If not a secret, how much you paid for 80W panel?

For the same budget I can get 230W Tough+ or 300W Tough. Quality wise they look similar with 5-year warranty.
Old 15-05-2018, 02:24   #4

Right now its a bit hard for me to say as i have been connected to shore power since i turned them on (still getting the boat ready). But a few days i have turned the shore power off and turned all my electrics on. They do well, though i'm not getting the full wattage out of them (though i think thats safe with any panel)

I have 390 watts which i broke down in to two arrays running on victon mppts and connected to a venus monitor. how fast do you want to make a decision? I will be setting off in a few weeks and can send you all the data my venus records on them with some detailed notes. Its interesting stuff for me as well.

To date I have seen maybe 150 watts max out of each array. I dont think its very far to put full weight on that however as the mppts will go in to absorption and float very quick while im at the dock.

I did debate a bit on the tough v the tough plus. The boat show prices for the 38 v 30 were not a major difference so that was a no brainer - i thought it got a bit harder to make the business case at the 56 and 80 level. Ill need to go back and look at what i paid
rubberduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 02:04   #5

390W is a lot. I would like to install 232W Tough+, we are light users. Maybe I could add x2 additional 32W panels, but it would be well over my budget with Tough+ prices. On the other side 260W Tough would be still 20% cheaper than 232W Tough+.

I would like to place order this or next week the latest. It would great you could check your Tough+ prices, so I know really mark up and I could try to ask for some discount. Drop me PM if do not want such info to be public.

Tags
solar